Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2015, 03:51 PM
 
7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Reputation: 3266

Advertisements

I am spending the Holy Weekend in Montauk. I am noticing the excellent condition of the roads and public services both in Montauk and nearby neighborhoods like Sag Harbor, Amagansett all the way through Hampton Bays especially when compared to many neighborhoods in Nassau and western Suffolk (even vs. parts of the north shore!). You would't know that they went through a rough winter. The schools look to be in good condition also. Does anyone know why this is the case? Where do these communities in the far east get their revenues to pay for all these amenities? Do the rich and famous pay for these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2015, 04:08 PM
 
671 posts, read 890,061 times
Reputation: 1250
High taxes always exist in places where the income can support them. My taxes are low but pay for garbage pick up,supply my own water and provide septic disposal. We have state police and volunteer fireman. We have no need of parks paid by taxes because federal parks are all over the place..All these things cost money.. No one can complain about shopping,hospitals nor the shortages of Starbucks on Long Island....It was a pricey place to live on a retirement income so I moved to Pennsylvania....I'm happy here but was happy there... I don't mind having a bear wacking my gargage pails but I sure liked Starbucks coffee more that the coffee I get at the gas station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 04:17 PM
 
137 posts, read 194,222 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I am spending the Holy Weekend in Montauk. I am noticing the excellent condition of the roads and public services both in Montauk and nearby neighborhoods like Sag Harbor, Amagansett all the way through Hampton Bays especially when compared to many neighborhoods in Nassau and western Suffolk (even vs. parts of the north shore!). You would't know that they went through a rough winter. The schools look to be in good condition also. Does anyone know why this is the case? Where do these communities in the far east get their revenues to pay for all these amenities? Do the rich and famous pay for these?
Despite some real problems and the hyperbole in the forum, the imminent demise of LI is highly exaggerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Nassau County
5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Reputation: 3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I am spending the Holy Weekend in Montauk. I am noticing the excellent condition of the roads and public services both in Montauk and nearby neighborhoods like Sag Harbor, Amagansett all the way through Hampton Bays especially when compared to many neighborhoods in Nassau and western Suffolk (even vs. parts of the north shore!). You would't know that they went through a rough winter. The schools look to be in good condition also. Does anyone know why this is the case? Where do these communities in the far east get their revenues to pay for all these amenities? Do the rich and famous pay for these?
Lol since when are paved roads and schools that "look" good amenities? One reason could be there is far less population out in montauk in the winter and therefore the roads get far less use. Nassau Is a big county, how can you compare services in montauk from just a short visit to an entire county to which you don't even live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Tierra del Encanto
1,778 posts, read 1,796,049 times
Reputation: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
High taxes always exist in places where the income can support them.
You may be confusing high taxes with high real estate costs. High paying jobs exist in many areas of the country, but the taxes (and/or tax rates) are lower. Examples are the D.C. metro area, Northern California (Silicon Valley) and the Seattle, Washington area where the Microsoft office is.

It's runaway public sector compensation that's to blame. As an example, taxpayers don't pay cops $250K plus benefits plus free medical plus six-figure lifetime pensions in other areas. Only on LI, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 05:02 PM
 
7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Reputation: 3266
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Lol since when are paved roads and schools that "look" good amenities? One reason could be there is far less population out in montauk in the winter and therefore the roads get far less use. Nassau Is a big county, how can you compare services in montauk from just a short visit to an entire county to which you don't even live?
As I stated in my post, it wasn't just Montauk but some other communities in the east end. And the smaller population can be a bigger drag to services and infrastructure in that the tax base and commercial base is smaller, but that is not happening. How can they afford to pay for the upkeep of 27, 114 and their arterial and residential roads? I used to live in Queens and did a lot of errands in the north shore and mid shore so that is my basis of comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Nassau County
5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Reputation: 3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
As I stated in my post, it wasn't just Montauk but some other communities in the east end. And the smaller population can be a bigger drag to services and infrastructure in that the tax base and commercial base is smaller, but that is not happening. I used to live in Queens and did a lot of errands in the north shore and mid shore so that is my basis of comparison.
Running errands to an area years ago is quite a bit different from living there. I'm sure services on the south fork are better then some areas, but in others I'm sure are more than comparable. I lived on the north shore (Brookville) for 5 years. Services always seemed great to me. Maybe I just have low standards, IDK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 06:14 PM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Reputation: 19880
My sister has a home in the Hamptons and has well water, no trash pickup (take it to the dump on your way out of town or come back to a stinky vacation home) and oil heat because the gas line is too far away. The schools stink not that she used them.

New construction on the east end is crazy expensive with taxes to match. She's constantly grieving her taxes because every time they throw up a McMansion in her neighborhood they want to raise her taxes to match.

Vacationing somewhere is not the same as living somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 06:26 PM
 
7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Reputation: 3266
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The schools stink not that she used them.
They don't look like ghetto schools at least from the outside.

Southampton Intermediate School

But for performance in tests, as many here have posted before, a lot of that is influenced by personal factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 06:02 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Reputation: 19880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
They don't look like ghetto schools at least from the outside.

Southampton Intermediate School

But for performance in tests, as many here have posted before, a lot of that is influenced by personal factors.
Well, as long as they look OK. Drive by sometime when school is in session.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top