Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:33 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times

Advertisements

After further research, I have to correct myself.

According to Public Library Districts: An Introduction: Library Development: New York State Library, "School District Public Libraries are totally independent of the school district. Once the library has been established, the library board has the authority to schedule a vote on a library budget each year. If the proposition to fund a School District Public Library passes, the school district must collect the tax money and pay the funds to the library (emphasis mine)."

So, even though they show up as two separate line items and even though the residents of the district vote for two separate budgets, in school district library districts, the school district collects the property tax money and then pays these funds to the library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 01:56 PM

194 posts, read 444,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
After further research, I have to correct myself.

According to Public Library Districts: An Introduction: Library Development: New York State Library, "School District Public Libraries are totally independent of the school district. Once the library has been established, the library board has the authority to schedule a vote on a library budget each year. If the proposition to fund a School District Public Library passes, the school district must collect the tax money and pay the funds to the library (emphasis mine)."

So, even though they show up as two separate line items and even though the residents of the district vote for two separate budgets, in school district library districts, the school district collects the property tax money and then pays these funds to the library.
So, to summararize your two posts and six paragraphs, as I said much more succinctly in one sentence, when I pay my school tax, I am also paying my library tax.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
So, to summararize your two posts and six paragraphs, as I said much more succinctly in one sentence, when I pay my school tax, I am also paying my library tax.
Yes, but you're paying two separate property taxes that are collected by the school district which then takes the separate library tax and and then pays these funds to the library.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:12 PM

194 posts, read 444,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes, but you're paying two separate property taxes that are collected by the school district which then takes the separate library tax and and then pays these funds to the library.
I'm fairly confident that the average taxpayer who doesn't have a mortgage or chooses not to have taxes lumped into a mortgage payment, when creating his or her yearly budget, allocates "x" dollars per month go toward the school tax bill. I seriously doubt that more than a handful are so precise as to allocate "x" for school taxes and "y" for library taxes and then make a footnote that they can combine the two into one check when paying.

So, other than playing semantics, your point is?

Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,021 times
The time has come for Long Islanders to grow some spines and VOTE NO on ANY school tax increase this year! Stop succumbing to the fearmongering about cuts to student programs! The teachers union is completely out of control. There are teachers in my district making $150,000 BASE SALARY for 182 days of work, 3.5 hours of actual teaching every day. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Old 04-01-2012, 03:12 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
I'm fairly confident that the average taxpayer who doesn't have a mortgage or chooses not to have taxes lumped into a mortgage payment, when creating his or her yearly budget, allocates "x" dollars per month go toward the school tax bill. I seriously doubt that more than a handful are so precise as to allocate "x" for school taxes and "y" for library taxes and then make a footnote that they can combine the two into one check when paying.

So, other than playing semantics, your point is?
You two need to get a room already!

The school district COLLECTS on behalf of the library. Thus the library tax is listed WITH the school tax and YES it is a separate item. You are both right.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
The school district COLLECTS on behalf of the library. Thus the library tax is listed WITH the school tax and YES it is a separate item. You are both right.
And, that is only for libraries that are School District Library Districts (SDLDs).

The relevant municipality collects the library district property tax for special district, association and municipal libraries.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:42 PM

239 posts, read 509,489 times
One way Long Island can start reducing property taxes is by consolidating school districts. I suggest we should have county school districts, or town school districts. For example, Long Island vs. NoVA. Both regions have a very high COL but the reason NoVA has much lower property taxes is because they have county school districts unlike Long Island. Same reason why Las Vegas MSA has low property taxes.

Nassau County has 52 school districts. If Nassau becomes a county school districts, 51 superintendents, assistant superintendents, and their overhead payments will be eliminated. It makes no sense that there should be 52 school districts in a county that is only 287 square miles of land. I find it funny that so many Long Islanders on CD complain about school taxes, yet they don't like the idea of consolidating school districts.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Nassau County has 52 school districts.
The last time I looked, Nassau County had 56 school districts and Suffolk County had 69 school districts, for a total of 125 school districts.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:41 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
It's not just "decent" areas within an hour of NYC that have high property taxes. The so-called undesirable areas have property taxes just as high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island