Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2012, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Hempstead
330 posts, read 726,435 times
Reputation: 277

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's not just "decent" areas within an hour of NYC that have high property taxes. The so-called undesirable areas have property taxes just as high.
Hempstead Village taxes are very high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Long Island
9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
One way Long Island can start reducing property taxes is by consolidating school districts. I suggest we should have county school districts, or town school districts. For example, Long Island vs. NoVA. Both regions have a very high COL but the reason NoVA has much lower property taxes is because they have county school districts unlike Long Island. Same reason why Las Vegas MSA has low property taxes.

Nassau County has 52 school districts. If Nassau becomes a county school districts, 51 superintendents, assistant superintendents, and their overhead payments will be eliminated. It makes no sense that there should be 52 school districts in a county that is only 287 square miles of land. I find it funny that so many Long Islanders on CD complain about school taxes, yet they don't like the idea of consolidating school districts.
curious- how long would it take for school taxes to even out for everyone if this were to happen? Maybe that's the only way you can get people to realize voting "yes for merged districts" would mean their taxes just dropped $5k next year. Is it that easy?

Consolidated districts doesn't necessarily mean kids from different towns would go to the same schools, or there would be larger classrooms, it could just mean they're under larger umbrellas of decision makers - trim the fat. What is keeping this from working (aside from the fat itself)?

I looked into NoVA once and saw McLean was one of the better towns. Not sure why there would be better towns if they are all at the same county school. More details would help.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-01-2012 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 05:36 AM
 
3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Reputation: 4162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Consolidated districts doesn't necessarily mean kids from different towns would go to the same schools, or there would be larger classrooms, it could just mean they're under larger umbrellas of decision makers - trim the fat. What is keeping this from working (aside from the fat itself)?
That's not true- once your tax dollars leave your district, federal law mandates the child can go where the money goes given certain circumstances regarding 'opportunity scholarships'.

For example a school with a minority majority must allow students to go to a non-minority majority school if they so choose, as long as they provide transportation.

Also a school deemed failing by the state must offer their students an opportunity, as well as provide bussing to a local non-failing school.

In the real world what that means is kids that go to school in Roosevelt would have every legal right to be bussed to Baldwin or Merrick- and a child who is attending Hempstead HS would have fair game if they chose to commute to Lynbrook or RVC schools.

The 100+ school district is closely tied with race and income for these reasons.

Don't count on a merger eliminating X amount of superintendents either. I'm not sure how much anyone actually works within school administration, maybe it is a lot, maybe it is very little... but I wouldn't count on a huge reduction like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 06:58 AM
 
131 posts, read 300,267 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Little Mario passed a 2% tax cap ( with too many loopholes).
Unfortunately, I don't think that tax cap will have the effect most were hoping for. One of the major loopholes - a school district can override the tax cap if 60% of the voters approve their larger budget. I know my underperforming district of South Country passes their budget annually by about 65% (as many other districts do). So, I think A. Cuomo created a bill that, while it makes him seem sympathetic to the taxpayer (so he gets their votes), it really changes nothing....and I'm sure he knew this when the bill was signed into law. More BS politics as usual...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Hempstead
330 posts, read 726,435 times
Reputation: 277
We could all just stop paying.... but everyone needs to do it. Or it won't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Reputation: 7340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's not just "decent" areas within an hour of NYC that have high property taxes. The so-called undesirable areas have property taxes just as high.
Yes, you have a point there. School taxes are high everywhere because of the unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Reputation: 7340
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Hempstead Village taxes are very high.
The reason is that Hempstead has an expensive police force of its own to support. (All the police on LI are expensive.) Look at the property taxes of any Village on LI with a police force vs. one that uses County police resources. I am glad my Village uses NCPD. I would rather pay into the County system where there are a lot of taxpayers to support NCPD than have a Village police system where only the Village residents support the local police force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Reputation: 7340
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
That's not true- once your tax dollars leave your district, federal law mandates the child can go where the money goes given certain circumstances regarding 'opportunity scholarships'.

For example a school with a minority majority must allow students to go to a non-minority majority school if they so choose, as long as they provide transportation.

Also a school deemed failing by the state must offer their students an opportunity, as well as provide bussing to a local non-failing school.

In the real world what that means is kids that go to school in Roosevelt would have every legal right to be bussed to Baldwin or Merrick- and a child who is attending Hempstead HS would have fair game if they chose to commute to Lynbrook or RVC schools.

The 100+ school district is closely tied with race and income for these reasons.

Don't count on a merger eliminating X amount of superintendents either. I'm not sure how much anyone actually works within school administration, maybe it is a lot, maybe it is very little... but I wouldn't count on a huge reduction like that.
How about some research to back up what sounds like teachers' union scare tactics about your purported "real world?" I don't think it works quite that way in County school districts across the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Long Island
32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Reputation: 9618
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
One way Long Island can start reducing property taxes is by consolidating school districts. I suggest we should have county school districts, or town school districts. For example, Long Island vs. NoVA. Both regions have a very high COL but the reason NoVA has much lower property taxes is because they have county school districts unlike Long Island. Same reason why Las Vegas MSA has low property taxes.

Nassau County has 52 school districts. If Nassau becomes a county school districts, 51 superintendents, assistant superintendents, and their overhead payments will be eliminated. It makes no sense that there should be 52 school districts in a county that is only 287 square miles of land. I find it funny that so many Long Islanders on CD complain about school taxes, yet they don't like the idea of consolidating school districts.
consolidation will not lower taxes..in fact it will cause a raise in taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Reputation: 7340
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
consolidation will not lower taxes..in fact it will cause a raise in taxes
How so? Please cite your sources and research proving consolidation will not lower taxes and will instead raise them.

NY schools chief eyes consolidation plan
NY schools chief eyes consolidation plan - School Leadership 2.0

Quote:
"I think one of our biggest challenges is that we have the consolidation conversation as though it were an upstate or western New York rural question when, in fact, it may be that the place where we could get the greatest savings from consolidation would be downstate, Long Island and Westchester," King told 1,000 school board delegates attending a state convention in Buffalo in late October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top