Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,956,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSFL View Post
I was browsing some home values and tax assessments on the Nassau County property appraiser's website (Land Record Viewer) and noticed they list both "general" taxes and school taxes. Are homeowners liable for both of these every year?

On properties in the $1.5 - $2 million range in Great Neck, general taxes were around $8,500 and school taxes were upwards of $25,000! The school tax was what really surprised me. Are these homeowners actually paying $25-30k per year just in school taxes, or am I misunderstanding what this number means? How can anyone afford to buy a home when they have essentially have a second mortgage just from taxes?
That is why the housing market will still lag here on Long Island after it recovers elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think that tax cap will have the effect most were hoping for. One of the major loopholes - a school district can override the tax cap if 60% of the voters approve their larger budget. I know my underperforming district of South Country passes their budget annually by about 65% (as many other districts do). So, I think A. Cuomo created a bill that, while it makes him seem sympathetic to the taxpayer (so he gets their votes), it really changes nothing....and I'm sure he knew this when the bill was signed into law. More BS politics as usual...
And not even Andy claimed it would reduce property and general taxes...it might possibly slow their growth to 2%. And that is apart from the 60% loophole.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:34 PM

246 posts, read 430,635 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think that tax cap will have the effect most were hoping for. One of the major loopholes - a school district can override the tax cap if 60% of the voters approve their larger budget. I know my underperforming district of South Country passes their budget annually by about 65% (as many other districts do). So, I think A. Cuomo created a bill that, while it makes him seem sympathetic to the taxpayer (so he gets their votes), it really changes nothing....and I'm sure he knew this when the bill was signed into law. More BS politics as usual...
Tell that to all the teachers about to get laid off

Old 04-02-2012, 06:57 PM

57,272 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:

Your district passed the budget by 65%, that's rather stunning. Most districts are in the high 50's. Also you will see a lot more voters come out when the vote has some meaning, usually pass vs fail amounts to very little. Most years it's not worth voting against a budget and going austerity for virtually no change in taxes, this is different.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 PM

156 posts, read 449,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How about some research to back up what sounds like teachers' union scare tactics about your purported "real world?" I don't think it works quite that way in County school districts across the country.
I would guess that they were talking about NCLB. In my NYC school we have a large number of out of district students who are in our school because of this.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:33 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne teacher View Post
I would guess that they were talking about NCLB. In my NYC school we have a large number of out of district students who are in our school because of this.
Yes, that's right, under NCLB you can request a transfer out of an underperforming district.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:12 PM

131 posts, read 300,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player01 View Post
Tell that to all the teachers about to get laid off
Is your source of info something other than the Teacher's Union monthly?

If your information is valid and from a reliable source then, why wouldn't the Teacher's union be more efficient with the funds they can amass? Why not lower the percentage of increases (including step increases) for all teachers and freeze the pay of administrators for at least one year to prevent layoffs? Doing what is best for all of its consitituents....isn't that what a union is supposed to do?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 PM

131 posts, read 300,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Your district passed the budget by 65%, that's rather stunning. Most districts are in the high 50's. Also you will see a lot more voters come out when the vote has some meaning, usually pass vs fail amounts to very little. Most years it's not worth voting against a budget and going austerity for virtually no change in taxes, this is different.
It was > 60%...I remember that much and being stunned since South Country is a consistently underperforming district. If you're going to pass their budget, at least make them accountable for their performance.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:

If your information is valid and from a reliable source then, why wouldn't the Teacher's union be more efficient with the funds they can amass? Why not lower the percentage of increases (including step increases) for all teachers and freeze the pay of administrators for at least one year to prevent layoffs? Doing what is best for all of its consitituents....isn't that what a union is supposed to do?
You would think ...

There's a strict hierarchy in a union. The members with the most seniority count the most. Merit is laughable. Merit has nothing to do with anything in a union. They don't care what happens to the newbies, and that includes them losing their jobs.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Today's Newsday (p. A24) stated that Commack is laying off forty to sixty teachers this year. No word on administrative cuts or any decrease in the superintendent's or assistant superintendents' salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island