Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,509,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun12 View Post
You are half right. Commack's tax is even higher. There is no low property tax school district on this island.

Inefficiency is the problem on long island, too many superintendents, too many supporting staffs are the reason. In most counties in the country, there is only one school district, one superintendent for each county. In Virginia, the McLean's high schools are the top, they are at least on par with nassau school districts if not better. McLean belongs to the Fairfax county which has just one district. McLean's property tax is significantly lower than that on long island.

Now think about it, the long island residents in the 40s, 50s, 60s, until now are to be blamed for this mess. It is the choice of all the middle income people on this island. The middle income people, pretty much, set the rules throughout these years. Now everybody, including themselves, are paying for it. Now the middle income people are complaining. Hey, look at yourself, you or your parents, or grandpa are to be blamed.

Oh, by the way, with so many zoning laws on long island, no wonder the general tax is also pretty high on long island. Who supports the zoning laws? the middle class guys. You are just going to pay for it sooner or later.

Don't think N Virginia isn't the first place I'd go to if my family wasn't here lol! It's gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 08:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,894,290 times
^ I've always had an interest in NoVA as well. There is less draw to the area but the schools and community are pretty reputable. From looking around, it appears their Fairfax County in terms of schools is split up into 5 regions, each having assistant superintendents and further support staff. Right side menu --> FCPS - Administration

Their population is about 1.1mil while Nassau is 1.4mil. They cover 2700 sq mi. while we cover 4700 sq mi. We have MANY more distinct areas than they do - 64 villages and towns compared to their 25 listed. Would our numerous schools over a much greater distance be able to split into separate "regions" (10s of districts in each or consolidate), each under the same regulations, budgets, transportation logistics, etc.?

Quote:
Region 2 - Annandale, Falls Church, McLean, Marshall, Stuart, and TJ pyramids
I'm curious - do these specific towns all perform at the same level or is there a great disparity, perhaps even in affluence? How are they all able to work with the same funding, rules, and regulations across the board? McLean is a top district - are they being funded the same as the worst in the county or even its own region?

It would be interesting to hear some details.

That said, I find this to be very telling as to why their taxes are lower ($6-$10k/yr): http://www.fcps.edu/hr/news/StepChartMasters.pdf

Last edited by ovi8; 03-22-2015 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 09:39 AM

Then have a look at this 2005 article about our teachers. Needless to say it's even worse a problem now.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/ny...pagewanted=all

Quote:
Whether this trend is improving the quality of education and children's futures is a subject of debate. Many of the top-paid teachers are in wealthy districts with high-performing schools, like Manhasset. But many are also in districts with little wealth and struggling schools, like Central Islip.
Quote:
A teachers' union official said that the salaries have to be high. "I think it's only fair to say that given the cost of living on Long Island, and the cost of housing, it would be impossible to maintain a teaching staff at anything less than what's currently being paid,"
- this person's never heard of dual income like the rest of us. Or that the statement could apply to every single job out there, but doesn't. Pssssssst, who do you think is responsible for the high cost of living on LI?

Quote:
But in Central Islip, where 40 percent of families with children in the schools are poor enough to qualify for lunch subsidies, the high school is on the state's list of schools needing improvement. Nearly one in five teachers in Central Islip makes $100,000 or more, and Yvette Camacho, a school board member, says "Our taxpayers cannot afford them."
Quote:
Typically, they have 30 years' experience, almost all in the same district, according to state records, and about half have at least 30 hours of credit beyond their master's degrees. But a growing proportion of those making six figures, now about 15 percent, are in their 40's.
Quote:
"There's a lot of people out there who make a lot more than I do," said ------------, 53, an East Islip teacher at the pinnacle of her profession - 30 years' experience, a master's degree with 90 hours of additional credit, and a $116,772 salary. "Do I think my salary is high, based on what I do for children and the amount of education I have in my background? No, I do not."
- She doesn't think her salary is high because there's others who make more than she does. And I also bet she's made 6 figures for a while before then. Compare the chart I posted for affluent VA and they don't even touch 6 figures. I care, because I'm paying for it.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-22-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 11:07 AM

22,674 posts, read 36,826,713 times
NoVA is a very attractive place to live and there's an educated populace but the traffic is unreal. It makes a day on LI look like a walk in the park. I know a couple people who live there and their 5 mile commutes can easily take a half hour or more. If you have to get on I95, forget it. It's taken us 3 hours to get from Woodbridge to Fredericksburg. And it's not going to get better there.
But DC is a great city and the metro makes travel from the suburbs really easy and cheap. Once you get there, most attractions are free.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,320,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Unions pay teachers?
Unions write the contracts that pay teachers and negotiate with the individual school boards to finalize the pay their members will receive under the contract.

PS: the "combat pay" was a joke.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:15 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,320,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
NoVA is a very attractive place to live and there's an educated populace but the traffic is unreal. It makes a day on LI look like a walk in the park. I know a couple people who live there and their 5 mile commutes can easily take a half hour or more. If you have to get on I95, forget it. It's taken us 3 hours to get from Woodbridge to Fredericksburg. And it's not going to get better there.
But DC is a great city and the metro makes travel from the suburbs really easy and cheap. Once you get there, most attractions are free.
Isn't the thing with NoVA that the home prices cost more than on LI, so that balances out the lower property taxes? Kind of like NYC vs. LI? (Even though NYC also has the added burden of a local income tax, the homes cost a lot more and the property taxes a lot less.)

Old 03-22-2015, 02:00 PM

22,674 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Yeah real estate is pricey there. Not sure it's more than Long Island - I think you still get slightly more bang for the buck but it's not cheap.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:08 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,870,958 times
At least you get to play "House of Cards" with your neighbors in NOVA suburbs. LOL!

Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yeah real estate is pricey there. Not sure it's more than Long Island - I think you still get slightly more bang for the buck but it's not cheap.
I was looking at McLean homes for sale earlier. 3-4 beds, 2k square feet (some didn't even have that much) and it was near $800k. But $7k taxes. I tried a max of $800k and there were only like 7 results which means most are way above that. I don't know, maybe it's their version of Manhasset. Taxes are supported by commercial so it stays low. Taxes in VA are lower probably because they don't have one in five teachers over 6 figures.

One other thing I was gathering from reading the NoVA forum is that there is an overcrowding issue in the schools.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-22-2015 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 05:54 PM

19,235 posts, read 17,110,766 times
NoVa will cost you to live in but most of the stock is newer and the taxes lower plus you don't have to worry about ancient sumps or illegal additions. Schools can be crowded but that is due to continuing growth that leads to constant building of new schools and all that with no school tax...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island