Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 PM

6 posts, read 40,239 times

Advertisements

I was browsing some home values and tax assessments on the Nassau County property appraiser's website (Land Record Viewer) and noticed they list both "general" taxes and school taxes. Are homeowners liable for both of these every year?

On properties in the $1.5 - $2 million range in Great Neck, general taxes were around $8,500 and school taxes were upwards of $25,000! The school tax was what really surprised me. Are these homeowners actually paying $25-30k per year just in school taxes, or am I misunderstanding what this number means? How can anyone afford to buy a home when they have essentially have a second mortgage just from taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 AM

194 posts, read 444,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSFL View Post
I was browsing some home values and tax assessments on the Nassau County property appraiser's website (Land Record Viewer) and noticed they list both "general" taxes and school taxes. Are homeowners liable for both of these every year?

On properties in the $1.5 - $2 million range in Great Neck, general taxes were around $8,500 and school taxes were upwards of $25,000! The school tax was what really surprised me. Are these homeowners actually paying $25-30k per year just in school taxes, or am I misunderstanding what this number means? How can anyone afford to buy a home when they have essentially have a second mortgage just from taxes?
Welcome to Nassau County. Home owners are liable for both the school and general tax every year. School taxes cover the local public school district and the local library district. The general tax has the following line items: County general purposes, Nassau Community College, County police, County police headquarters, County environmental bond fund, fire prevention, sewage district, sewage disposal district, general fund, garbage, solid waste disposal, fire, and water.

If you were to Google "Nassau highest taxes", there are 3.4 million results. The link below from April 2011 says "Nassau County homeowners pay the highest median property taxes in the country, and there's no tax relief in sight". Discussing why these high taxes exist is frowned upon in this forum.

Nassau County Homeowners, Already Paying Highest Median Property Taxes In U.S., Will Pay More As Education Taxes Projected To Rise Next Year « CBS New York

Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 AM

6 posts, read 40,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
Welcome to Nassau County. Home owners are liable for both the school and general tax every year. School taxes cover the local public school district and the local library district. The general tax has the following line items: County general purposes, Nassau Community College, County police, County police headquarters, County environmental bond fund, fire prevention, sewage district, sewage disposal district, general fund, garbage, solid waste disposal, fire, and water.

If you were to Google "Nassau highest taxes", there are 3.4 million results. The link below from April 2011 says "Nassau County homeowners pay the highest median property taxes in the country, and there's no tax relief in sight". Discussing why these high taxes exist is frowned upon in this forum.

Nassau County Homeowners, Already Paying Highest Median Property Taxes In U.S., Will Pay More As Education Taxes Projected To Rise Next Year « CBS New York
Thank you for the reply. Wow, I knew the taxes were high -- but I had no idea that they were THAT high. What decent suburbs within an hour commute of Manhattan have the lowest property taxes?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
School taxes cover the local public school district and the local library district.
The school district property tax only includes any capital improvements if the library district is a school district library district because in school district library districts, the majority of the library districts on Long Island, the school district owns the library building. Otherwise, there is a separate library district tax to cover the library's operating budget.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:39 AM

330 posts, read 725,999 times
Wait wait wait. Don't forget incorporated villages where we pay general tax, school tax AND village tax. It's quite a racket Moderator cut: snip.

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-02-2012 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 AM

UrbanSFL, Land Record Viewer does not include the village property tax for property in villages.

Property taxes are the sum of the property tax levied by up to 20 or so taxing districts in which the property is located. These taxing districts are the county, town, village, if in a village, school district, library district, fire district, water district, sewer district, police district, police headquarters district, park district, parking district, highway district, lighting district, etc., etc., etc.

Each of these taxing districts passes a budget, some by a vote of the residents of the taxing district and others by the governing board of the taxing district.

The budget is then divided by the sum of the assessed value within the taxing district to arrive at the property tax rate, which is then applied to each individual property within the taxing district to calculate that property's tax bill for that specific property.

Do this for all the 20 or so taxing districts that a property is located in and sum these 20 or so property tax bills to arrive at the total property tax bill for that property.

Repeat the next year to calculate the next year's property tax bill, and so on and so on ...

Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 AM

194 posts, read 444,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The school district property tax only includes any capital improvements if the library district is a school district library district because in school district library districts, the majority of the library districts on Long Island, the school district owns the library building. Otherwise, there is a separate library district tax to cover the library's operating budget.
In reading the tax bill I receive, the section defined as "levy description" has two line items: USFD school and USFD library. Each is assigned its own "tax amount". Therefore, it is irrelevant whether or not the school district owns the library building. As I said originally, a portion of my school tax dollar is being allocated to the local public library.

Last edited by paperman1111; 04-01-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSFL View Post
Thank you for the reply. Wow, I knew the taxes were high -- but I had no idea that they were THAT high. What decent suburbs within an hour commute of Manhattan have the lowest property taxes?
It seems all the decent suburbs within this commutable area have high property taxes. Westchester is no better than LI when it comes to that. Neither are the nice parts of NJ and CT. Your best bet would be to buy a home within the NYC limits: good parts of the other boroughs do exist! However, the home price itself would be more than on LI, plus there is a NYC income tax that residents have to pay. So depending on your annual income, that may cancel out property tax savings.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 AM

577 posts, read 978,665 times
RE:Thank you for the reply. Wow, I knew the taxes were high -- but I had no idea that they were THAT high.

Well..... the out of control school taxes is the culmination of many many years of careful manipulation of the system. The main players are the local teachers unions, local school boards that lack backbone and the PTO mommies.

The net result is a great majority of tenured teachers making over 100K with luxury type taxpayer funded medical, dental & prescription benefits, sick leave, life insurance, pension etc etc all for showing up to work less then 185 days per year ( before sick days ( including a relative being sick), personal leave days, emergency days, death in family days etc etc)

But the beleaguered taxpayers are trying to make a comeback. Little Mario passed a 2% tax cap ( with too many loopholes). The teachers unions are pretending that they're concerned about the taxpayers ( until things blow over) and thaty its really all about the children.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
In reading the tax bill I receive, the section defined as "levy description" has two line items: USFD school and USFD library. Each is assigned its own "tax amount". Therefore, it is irrelevant whether or not the school district owns the library building. As I said originally, a portion of my school tax dollar is being allocated to the local public library.
If there are two line items, than that usually means two separate property taxes and not a portion of one property tax being used to pay another property tax.

School districts and library districts, even when the library district is a school district library district (coterminous borders) each pass separate budgets that are voted on separately by the residents of that school district and library district, generating two separate property tax rates.

Other libraries, such as association libraries, as in Great Neck and Roslyn, and municipal libraries. such as in villages that have libraries, have separate line items as the libraries in those districts are totally separate from the school district(s) that they may share an overlap.

Please see immediately following correction.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 04-01-2012 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Please see immediately following correction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island