Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,218 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Forest Hills, Queens and really enjoy the neighborhood but because of growing family with a young child, I'm doing research to move out to the suburbs to purchase either condo or single family house under 300k. Any recommendations for neighbhorhood similar statistically to Forest Hills where it's diverse, safe, good school district, near LIRR (commute to NYC, downtown)? I'm also thinking Jersey if anyone has suggestion but I'm leaning towards LI if I can afford it. Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,415,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy007 View Post
I currently live in Forest Hills, Queens and really enjoy the neighborhood but because of growing family with a young child, I'm doing research to move out to the suburbs to purchase either condo or single family house under 300k. Any recommendations for neighbhorhood similar statistically to Forest Hills where it's diverse, safe, good school district, near LIRR (commute to NYC, downtown)? I'm also thinking Jersey if anyone has suggestion but I'm leaning towards LI if I can afford it. Thanks for any input!
Check Lindy and West Babylon, and a few in Babylon for your price range. All decent and great train to NYC. Good, not great SD, but very nice downtowns for a young couple.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 PM

10 posts, read 15,039 times
Default Patchogue, too

Patchogue's downtown is being revitalized. It's designed to attract young people and families. It's right near the train station and within your price range. I'd suggest doing some research in that area and see what you like. Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-02-2012 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: More advertising.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,027,109 times
Moderator cut: snip

Long commute. Plenty of choices further west with a.shorter commute

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-02-2012 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: removed quoted post

Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,415,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Check Lindy and West Babylon, and a few in Babylon for your price range. All decent and great train to NYC. Good, not great SD, but very nice downtowns for a young couple.
Also, to add check Levittown and Hicksville. The train is in Hicksville, but levittown is 10 mins. away. Both have houses in your range.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 AM

654 posts, read 2,111,461 times
I would second the Hicksville area. Close to train and parkways. Not too far from shopping. Houses within your price range. The taxes are not bad.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,643,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC21 View Post
Patchogue's downtown is being revitalized. It's designed to attract young people and families. It's right near the train station and within your price range. I'd suggest doing some research in that area and see what you like. Moderator cut: snip
But your SD is not really great....

Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,975,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
I would second the Hicksville area. Close to train and parkways. Not too far from shopping. Houses within your price range. The taxes are not bad.
Also like Hicksville. Has the same "suburban" feel of everywhere else and is central to everything (NYC, out East, North/South shores, etc) and is close to all shopping, ethnic stuff, etc. Best of all is the taxes are lower than most which means you can buy more house than in other areas. There is also political will and momentum to make improvements although they are slow going (like everything on LI).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island