Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 PM

241 posts, read 732,333 times

Advertisements

It seems like many people say it's unreliabile. What is your thoughts about it? We've been looking on the Port Washington line mainly. A few properties we really like are near the OB branch. Please give me your honest feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Oyster bay line is the step child of the RR. I have lived along the line most of my life. Here is the problem. Service is not all that frequent as compared to most other lines. I personally don't think it is unreliable as the on time performance has gone up over the years. The problem is that the ridership is lower due to people who prefer more frequent schedules and go to other lines. I had friends from OB who drive to Syosset everyday and paid to park for the more frequent schedules. It will never improve because the tonier parts of the OB line have consistently rejected ideas for improvement many years ago and now it will never happen.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:20 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,104 times
most people drive to manhasset or port or just suck it up and take the ob line and drink the whole way

Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM

241 posts, read 732,333 times
We have been looking for a house along the Port Washington Line for the most part. We now live in the city so access is important for work purposes and also leisure. We are in Manhattan all the time and I think the Oyster Bay line will not give us the flexibility to get into the city as we would like to for leisure. Yes we could drive and then take a train or take a cab but we would prefer to not have to do that. We'd like to explore more housing stock along the line but this is the biggest issue for us. Would we be making a mistake by buying along the OB line if Manhattan access is important? As far as the line goes we have been looking as far south as East Williston to as far north as Oyster Bay. Do some stops see more service or is it all the same? Thank you for any input

Old 04-06-2012, 04:52 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
My sister lives in EW and it is a wonderful and lovely community. That said, it is a stop away from Mineola which is the main line where service is more frequent. The OB schedule is poor especially off peak (see attached system schedule)http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Branc...rBayBranch.pdf

Here is the system map which shows you the stops MTA LIRR - LIRR Map and lastly in case you don't have this the MLS link. MLSLI.com

I would encourage you to look into Rockville Centre and Manhasset in addition to PW. East Williston is roughly a mile - mile half from Mineola and cabs are always available

Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
People I know who take the OB line hates it. Some transfer at Jamaica which there is wait time for a transfer. Others I know take the 7 train to hunters point to catch the train so they can avoid the transfer. Another common gripe which I heard is the train doesn't run all night. I have friends who missed it & take it to syosset...then pay about $22-25 for cab service to their home

The highlight are the diesals. So I guess for giant snowstorms or torrential rain, its almost guarantee to run.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 PM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
People I know who take the OB line hates it. Some transfer at Jamaica which there is wait time for a transfer. Others I know take the 7 train to hunters point to catch the train so they can avoid the transfer. Another common gripe which I heard is the train doesn't run all night. I have friends who missed it & take it to syosset...then pay about $22-25 for cab service to their home

The highlight are the diesals. So I guess for giant snowstorms or torrential rain, its almost guarantee to run.
Except when the signals go nuts when they get wet (common in Mineola) and the whole railroad turns in to a bunch of steel sitting on top of steel going nowhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island