Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:57 PM

302 posts, read 590,966 times

Advertisements

Anyone know how much housing prices have dropped on long island around smithtown/dix hills/hauppauge areas? Are we back to 2003 or 2002 levels? I still see certain houses selling almost double what they paid for in 2000/2001!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,168,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
Anyone know how much housing prices have dropped on long island around smithtown/dix hills/hauppauge areas? Are we back to 2003 or 2002 levels?
That's a pretty fair statement for most areas!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:05 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
Quote:
Anyone know how much housing prices have dropped on long island around smithtown/dix hills/hauppauge areas? Are we back to 2003 or 2002 levels? I still see certain houses selling almost double what they paid for in 2000/2001!

It depends on the house, but I'd say more like 2004-2005 levels for a decent house that's been updated. Slightly off peak but not that much. I wish it weren't so because that's where I'm looking (friends too), and this is our experience.

If someone puts up an updated house with no major issues, at a realistic price, it sells in a week after the open house. Houses that are listed too high or that haven't been touched in 25 years sit for a long time. Our friends got outbid on a full price offer for a house in Smithtown by a full cash offer.

People are not buying, getting heloc's and updating. If it's not updated, most people won't buy. If you have equity in your home and want to sell it, you need to update kitchens and baths at least.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,669,515 times
Quote:
Here is a link to a site that has historical asking prices of LI housing going back to 2006.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It depends on the house, but I'd say more like 2004-2005 levels for a decent house that's been updated. Slightly off peak but not that much. I wish it weren't so because that's where I'm looking (friends too), and this is our experience.

If someone puts up an updated house with no major issues, at a realistic price, it sells in a week after the open house. Houses that are listed too high or that haven't been touched in 25 years sit for a long time. Our friends got outbid on a full price offer for a house in Smithtown by a full cash offer.

People are not buying, getting heloc's and updating. If it's not updated, most people won't buy. If you have equity in your home and want to sell it, you need to update kitchens and baths at least.
Interesting. With very few exceptions, that's not what I'm seeing.
Where are you looking?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,808,494 times
We had a few homes for sale this year. One was on the market for 4 months and got an offer not much below the asking price ; it should close anyday now. The second had an offer within a few weeks of being on the market but as it is a commercial property, it takes longer ; it too should close anyday.

Our own house ; well now, we put that on the market at the end of Feb and within 15 days we had a full price offer. Unfortunately the appraisal came back below the price but we took the lower price as I jsut dont know how long it would be otherwise. Our own house was updated ; granite, stainless steel, pergo floors, new carpet, painted etc. And it was put on at a reasonable price also so it goes to show that if your house is ready to be sold and asks a decent price, it will sell. Price is below what we paid for it in 04 so it bites. But thats the market.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We had a few homes for sale this year. One was on the market for 4 months and got an offer not much below the asking price ; it should close anyday now. The second had an offer within a few weeks of being on the market but as it is a commercial property, it takes longer ; it too should close anyday.

Our own house ; well now, we put that on the market at the end of Feb and within 15 days we had a full price offer. Unfortunately the appraisal came back below the price but we took the lower price as I jsut dont know how long it would be otherwise. Our own house was updated ; granite, stainless steel, pergo floors, new carpet, painted etc. And it was put on at a reasonable price also so it goes to show that if your house is ready to be sold and asks a decent price, it will sell. Price is below what we paid for it in 04 so it bites. But thats the market.
Sorry the timing wasn't better for you in terms of price.

Thank you for your statement! That's what I see mostly - prices BELOW 2004!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Interesting. With very few exceptions, that's not what I'm seeing.
Where are you looking?
Smithtown SD, Hauppauge SD. Friends are looking in those areas and in addition Northport SD, Commack SD, Haborfields, HHH SD, etc.

Updated houses, no double yellow lines, no high tension lines overhead, no mold smell in basement, no junkyard next door, under 500K, are selling very fast. That being said..those houses are few and far between with LI's old and poorly maintained housing stock.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,347,355 times
Quote:

+1 on this.
(Somebody obviously uses Dmans account to post here)

Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,320,495 times
Quote:
Smithtown SD, Hauppauge SD. Friends are looking in those areas and in addition Northport SD, Commack SD, Haborfields, HHH SD, etc.

Updated houses, no double yellow lines, no high tension lines overhead, no mold smell in basement, no junkyard next door, under 500K, are selling very fast. That being said..those houses are few and far between with LI's old and poorly maintained housing stock.
Are high tension wires near a home really proven as hazardous or is that an old wive's tail that leads people to reject property near them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island