Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:10 PM

63 posts, read 169,410 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was doing research regarding water tables on a property that I might be interested in North Bellmore. Thinking that the property is closer to the southern state, I thought I will be ok. However, the property is located on a red zone...on a small strech. I wonder if I am going to encounter any water problems in the basement with heavy rainpors? Does anyone live in the red zones and have no problems...its like the whole south shore its in red but its impossible for so many people to have water issues.

I have also checked on the FEMA maps and its not in a flood zone..

Any help is appreciated...

You can look up your address with the icon on top of the page.

Here is the website:

USGS Long Island Depth to Water Viewer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM

88 posts, read 480,773 times
What you are looking at is a map of the aquifers on Long Island. If ground water is listed as less than 11 ft in your area, you can rent a hand auger and auger down till you hit water. That will tell you what kind of a basement you can put in. For instance, the typical basement on Long Island is 7 foot, which is 5 foot in the ground and 2 feet above ground. You would want to be at least 2 feet above water level. So if you hit water in less than 7 feet you know you either have to build with a crawl space or on a slab, or build the house up higher and build the land up to the house. The other option is to design the foundation to withstand the groundwater. Building up the land or adding a special design to the foundation, of course, add the the cost.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:13 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,281 times
I am in north bellmore ,south of the SS parkway and my water table is about 22' ..I know this because I installed a water well that does my sprinklers ...DIY project...12 years running ...no basement water problems either

Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
My parent's home is in the pink zone in N Massapequa, south of the SSP and my SIL's house is in the red zone in Seaford by Jersusalem. Neither house has had issues.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 PM

516 posts, read 1,075,391 times
I am in Lindenhurst, my basement is about 5 1/2 feet in the ground and has an old well pipe in it. I can look down the pipe and see the water table, normaly it's about 4 feet down but in the storm about 3 or 4 years ago it came up to about 1 foot from my basement floor.

Houses 1 block south of me were pumping water for weeks and with the exception of 2 houses on my block we had nothing. A look on google earth shows my blocks elevation above sea level is 1 foot higher then the houses that flooded. It was a close one.

My previous house in Massapequa had a water level 8 feet below the basement floor and never flooded but was in the "Red zone"

Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 AM

63 posts, read 169,410 times
That's a sight of relief to hear. The basement is going to be underground only about 4 feet below ground and 4 feet above ground. I would not know whats the water depth until a survey is done. When I looked in google earth, the house is about 35 ft of elevation. When you go right and left, it starts going up to the 42-45 range. I would imagine that is why its red on a small stretch of the neighborhood.

I guess the general rule is 2 feet above ground water should be ok...but how fast does it rise when you have a heavy rain pour?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:42 AM

88 posts, read 480,773 times
It would have to be a very raining season to bring the water table up 2 feet. What you do get alot of on Long Island is a layer of clay a few feet down that stops the rain water from being carried off by the ground water. When you have a layer of clay the ground over it gets saturated and water pressure gets high enough to start seeping into the basement. Some people mistakenly think this is the ground water

Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjes View Post
It would have to be a very raining season to bring the water table up 2 feet. What you do get alot of on Long Island is a layer of clay a few feet down that stops the rain water from being carried off by the ground water. When you have a layer of clay the ground over it gets saturated and water pressure gets high enough to start seeping into the basement. Some people mistakenly think this is the ground water
Anybody have a map of where this clay is, or is it just a random occurrence house by house?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 AM

730 posts, read 1,656,863 times
Check the house itself - are there any signs of prior water damage? Talk to the neighbors - have they had issues.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 AM

516 posts, read 1,075,391 times
Clay can be random even on the same property, when I built my original house in Massapequa there was a layer of clay about 1 foot thick, 3 feet down from the original grade but only on 1 side of the foundation. It ran for about 20 feet then turned to good old LI sand on the other side of the foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island