U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM

37 posts, read 106,861 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to buy a house in manhasset hills but since I don't drive was hoping to take a cab to either mineola lIRR or nearest subway to catch a train to the city. What do you guys think... Is it feasible. I figured I would rather buy a cheaper house in manhasset hills than an expensive house in manhasset and spend the money on cab. I am looking for a great school distinct with diversity and was initially looking for commuter towns but they are all expensive. I really like manhasset hills but commute is the only challenge and am hoping to get some feedback from people who live in the area. I am only considering manhasset, manhasset hills and Syosset as a possible area but Syosset is too far and manhasset is too expensive.

I figured that I could save anywhere between $150 and $200K on a house if I buy in manhasset hills and use that money over the next 30 years towards my commute @ $ 20 a day round trip from the train stations and still come out cheaper but it needs to be practical in terms of timing and availability of taxis on a daily basis even in bad weather.

Thanks
Ron
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 PM

3,875 posts, read 8,156,012 times
Just so you know, if you live by Hillside Avenue, you could take the N22/N22A buses to Jamaica and then take the subway there. You get a free bus-subway transfer so you only pay $2.25 total.

If you live by New Hyde Park Road, you could take the N25 to the New Hyde Park LIRR station, or you could take the N25/N26 to Great Neck (the N26 goes to Jamaica as well, but it runs in the opposite direction you're heading).

I'm just pointing it out just in case it's more convenient. I mean, if you walk up to the bus stop and there's a bus sitting right there, why pay $10 for a taxi when you could pay $2.25 for the bus?

For more information, see here: Bus Maps and Schedules

As far as the house goes, just keep in mind that if you pay less for it, you'll probably sell it for less further down the road.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Just so you know, if you live by Hillside Avenue, you could take the N22/N22A buses to Jamaica and then take the subway there. You get a free bus-subway transfer so you only pay $2.25 total.

If you live by New Hyde Park Road, you could take the N25 to the New Hyde Park LIRR station, or you could take the N25/N26 to Great Neck (the N26 goes to Jamaica as well, but it runs in the opposite direction you're heading).

I'm just pointing it out just in case it's more convenient. I mean, if you walk up to the bus stop and there's a bus sitting right there, why pay $10 for a taxi when you could pay $2.25 for the bus?

For more information, see here: Bus Maps and Schedules

As far as the house goes, just keep in mind that if you pay less for it, you'll probably sell it for less further down the road.

Thanks . I checked the houses close to hillside avenue ... The lot size is smaller. I really like herricks schools and am trying to make it for or situation I.e not driving but taking a cab/bus and train.i am take bus or cab either way whichever is available but my majorcncnis that is it a practical solution. Shouldi be looking at only houses in areas that have train so that I can walk to trainer I can make it work in manhasset hills where I get the school disctrict of my choice and still get an hour commute to the city door to door with cab/bus ad Lirr.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieyours View Post
Thanks . I checked the houses close to hillside avenue ... The lot size is smaller. I really like herricks schools and am trying to make it for or situation I.e not driving but taking a cab/bus and train.i am take bus or cab either way whichever is available but my majorcncnis that is it a practical solution. Shouldi be looking at only houses in areas that have train so that I can walk to trainer I can make it work in manhasset hills where I get the school disctrict of my choice and still get an hour commute to the city door to door with cab/bus ad Lirr.
The thing about buses is that there's a greater risk they could mess around with them. The routes in that area get pretty decent ridership, so it's unlikely they would ever cut them (unless they cut funding for the bus system altogether, and if that ever happens, that's definitely not a good sign a far as the state of the county's finances)

Also, they're doing the East Side Access project, which would bring the LIRR into Grand Central, and when they complete it, it could potentially boost property values, so it would be advantageous to be closer to the LIRR. So just keep that in mind.

As of now, the commute shouldn't be too bad. The buses run drop off-only in Queens (so they don't get slowed down by having to pick up Queens passengers, and going back, you don't have LI riders being bypassed because Queens riders took all the room) Queens riders have their own frequent bus service, so it's not too bad for them. Anyway, from what I've heard, you don't have a lot of people using the bus in Herricks, so it doesn't spend much time making stops.

So in any case, you have the option of the N22, N22A, or N22L, so between those buses, you shouldn't have a problem fitting on the bus (you might not get a seat, though).

You could try that, or you could try taking the N25/N26 to Great Neck, or the N25 to New Hyde Park like I said before. Look at the bus schedule, and look at the train schedule to see what time would be best, and see if it works out for you. Always do a test run to make sure you could handle it, and if it's worth the difference in price.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 AM

7,702 posts, read 9,125,503 times
i had the same issue many years ago deciding similiar areas as you. I really loved the homes in manhasset hills myself. At the end I didn't buy in MH obviously.

the bus is one great idea which is the cheapest by far but will take more time & little hassle commuting.

another way is to take a drive from manhasset hills to the manhasset train station everyday. Ask the gas station by manhasset lirr how much is parking per month there. I know people out of the area park at that lot daily. Its worthy to scope out to hop on the Port Line. If you consider this alternative, I have other cost measures I won't publicized here. Just drop me a PM.

Personally I am not a taxi guy myself & never get the whole concept of taxi everywhere & all the time concept. That is just me.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 PM

8,387 posts, read 19,356,284 times
My Dad always parked at of of the Manhasset lots when we lived in Roslyn Harbor because he refused to change at Jamaica. Even then (the 1960s) , it was pretty pricey to park there.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
My Dad always parked at of of the Manhasset lots when we lived in Roslyn Harbor because he refused to change at Jamaica. Even then (the 1960s) , it was pretty pricey to park there.
So if one takes a train from Mineola do they have to transfer at Jamaica. I thought the are direct trains from mineola that take you to city in 35-40 mins.

Unfortunately park and ride doesn't work for me as I can't drive because of disability and the only options are to walk to the train or take a cab to the train. Buses also am not too crazy about as that adds too much to my commute time. Ideally I would like to be in the city in less than an hour door to door. So if cabs round trip dailyis around 20 bucks from Manhasset hills I will factor it in my house price.

Last edited by Ronnieyours; 04-12-2012 at 07:54 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieyours View Post
So if one takes a train from Mineola do they have to transfer at Jamaica. I thought the are direct trains from mineola that take you to city in 35-40 mins.

Unfortunately park and ride doesn't work for me as I can't drive because of disability and the only options are to walk to the train or take a cab to the train. Buses also am not too crazy about as that adds too much to my commute time. Ideally I would like to be in the city in less than an hour door to door. So if cabs round trip dailyis around 20 bucks from Manhasset hills I will factor it in my house price.
You have to check the LIRR schedules, but I think most of the trains that stop at Mineola go directly to Penn Station, with no transfer at Jamaica (which doesn't necessarily add time because usually it's timed so your train is right across the platform). I think most of the trains to Atlantic Avenue are from the Hempstead, West Hempstead and Long Beach Branches (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

Keep in mind that if you're going to Lower Manhattan, it's actually a little faster to go through Brooklyn. You just take the train to Atlantic Terminal and then take the (2)(3)(4)(5) or (R) train, depending on which is more convenient to your destination (I'd avoid the (R) because it's not quite as frequent as the other lines, but that's your call).

Old 04-13-2012, 02:56 PM

147 posts, read 485,133 times
You could catch the N25 on New Hyde Park Rd to either Great Neck or New Hyde Park train station in the mornings since the bus runs pretty regularly and is heavily used. At night, you can just take a taxi home or have someone pick you up at the train station. The fact that Manhasset Hills is in the middle of two train stations gives you some flexibility on which train to take and since you are not parking, it also opens up your choices as to which train to catch on the way home also.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
You could catch the N25 on New Hyde Park Rd to either Great Neck or New Hyde Park train station in the mornings since the bus runs pretty regularly and is heavily used. At night, you can just take a taxi home or have someone pick you up at the train station. The fact that Manhasset Hills is in the middle of two train stations gives you some flexibility on which train to take and since you are not parking, it also opens up your choices as to which train to catch on the way home also.
That's a great point. Are there people who do his regularly. What is your opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island