Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,422 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I currently own a mother daughter house I originally purchased with my brother.
Currently, I live downstairs, and we have a tenant living uptsairs. My brother does not live at this house.

However, I just got a job way ou in suffolk and would like to move out east. My question is, can I rent both my upstairs AND downstairs? Is this legal? (Probably not). Has anyone had any experience or heard of this situation?

I am currently underwater on my mortgage, so I cannot sell the house, but I also need to move. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight? I am not looking to become a slumlord and want to get good tenants. I just happen to find myself in a bind and feel stuck.

All feedback appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,154 times
It's hard to say with so few details, but it sounds like what you're doing right now is illegal. A mother/daughter is only valid for family members, so if the tenant upstairs is not related to you, the mother/daughter permit doesn't cover it.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
It's hard to say with so few details, but it sounds like what you're doing right now is illegal. A mother/daughter is only valid for family members, so if the tenant upstairs is not related to you, the mother/daughter permit doesn't cover it.
Exactly! Mother-Daughter is for family/relatives only.

Unfortunately what you're doing now is already illegal; renting both portions would just compound your situation. :-(

Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Sounds like someone bought more house than they could afford to begin with (because you needed a brother help you out). And on top of that you needed a tenant to support your lifestyle. Living beyond you means much?

Reality check! Sounds like you should start reading up on Short Sales.

Sorry, I have no sympathy because you sound exactly like my previous Land Lord, whom I have no respect for.

Mean while you better trade in that SUV* for something kinder on your wallet. You have the benefit of a reverse commute, but prices at the pump will kill you.

*You might not drive a SUV, but I'm just stereotyping people that live beyond their means, mortgaged up to their ears, living on credit, and lease the late model SUV they really don't need. I let my imagination run wild based on the little info you gave us.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
^ plenty of SUVs these days get better gas mileage than sports cars. And they're more practical while doing it.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ plenty of SUVs these days get better gas mileage than sports cars. And they're more practical while doing it.
The SUVs that tout great mpgs aren't real SUVs. Just sayin'.
BTW, ever read this?
2009 Chevrolet Corvette MPG Test Drive: Will the Vette Meet New CAFE Standards? - Popular Mechanics

Now, back to the topic... Where's the OP?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,422 times
MORE DETAILS:

My brother and I bought the house back in 2007 (before the bubble burst) and he lived upstairs and I lived downstairs. 5 years later, my brother has children now and needed more space for his family so he purchased a seperate house with his wife.

I posted to get intelligent replies, not holier-then-though criticisms.

FYI, i drive a 2007 nissan sentra and it is paid off. I paid off all 30K of my student loans and also have $60K in the bank. I have no consumer debt whatsoever. I am an avid saver and live well below my means.

What are the reprecussions if one is reported for renting 2 apartments?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:18 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Have you considered just selling it as a single family home with the in-law suite allready configured if needed? Let the buyer determine how them would like to use the space.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 PM

I don't see how I came across as "holier-than thou" by assuming you were like my previous LL, but anywho...

If you don't want to sell, why not just rent the whole house out to 1 family instead of 2? This was there's no confusion about which tenant mows the lawn, shovels snow, pays for oil, H2O, electric, etc.

Not sure if you would qualify to purchase a second house when your first mortgage is upside down. So you would be renting out east as well?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 PM

128 posts, read 251,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Sounds like someone bought more house than they could afford to begin with (because you needed a brother help you out). And on top of that you needed a tenant to support your lifestyle. Living beyond you means much?

Reality check! Sounds like you should start reading up on Short Sales.

Sorry, I have no sympathy because you sound exactly like my previous Land Lord, whom I have no respect for.

Mean while you better trade in that SUV* for something kinder on your wallet. You have the benefit of a reverse commute, but prices at the pump will kill you.

*You might not drive a SUV, but I'm just stereotyping people that live beyond their means, mortgaged up to their ears, living on credit, and lease the late model SUV they really don't need. I let my imagination run wild based on the little info you gave us.
you got all that from the op's post??
Holy mother of all assumptions!!

To op, you can rent out all levels of the home if you'd like. I have seen someone with 3 different tenants. It depends on how your neighbors feel about it. Town of Hempstead is a little more lax with illegal rentals. I wouldn't try this in a town like Oyster Bay. If your neighbors are cool with it, then you shouldnt have a problem. If one of your tenants annoys a neighbor and they report you, then you will run into major problems $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: