Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM

909 posts, read 1,829,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The word "entitlement" has a connotation of feeling you deserve something you didn't earn. I, on the other hand, as I said previously, worked hard in school, earned an advanced degree, work hard in my job, did not "wait until my 30s to start saving money" (as another poster implied I did), and do not desire great material wealth, only a relatively simple lifestyle. I feel that I should have earned a middle class lifestyle, but that, unfortunately, has become impossible, at least on Long Island.
What is it you consider a middle class lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:34 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,502,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Thesaurus.com
Entered 'deserving"

Main Entry: deserve  [dih-zurv] Show IPA
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: be entitled to
Synonyms: be given one's due, be in line for, be worthy of, demand, earn, gain, get, get comeuppance, get what is coming to one, have it coming, have the right to, justify, lay claim to, merit, procure, rate, warrant, win

mitsu worked hard for his/her degree. Is s/he not entitled?
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you. Your thesaurus defintion is consistent with what I stated, entitled = deserving.

And if you work hard for the degree then you're entitled to it. Doesn't mean you're not also exhibiting self-entitlement about what you expected to get in life just because you got yourself a degree or 2.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,987,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Heaven View Post
On Long Island it is possible to live a middle class lifestyle. The middle class on Long Island live in areas that you won't live in. Our neighborhood is the definition of middle class, and we have the same background you have.
Do you mind telling me what area you live in? Why do you just assume that I won't want to live there? I do not consider Patchogue, Medford, Shirley, Mastic, Riverhead, Brentwood, Central Islip, etc to be middle class, despite what some politically correct people may say. I assume you live in a better area.

There is now a much larger upper middle class population on Long Island now then there was in the 70's and 80's. People also live differently now then they did back then. Many middle class families drove to Florida for a weeks vacation, they didn't go on a $6k Disney Cruise.[/quote]

Driving to Florida is hardly a bargain, when you take into account time off from work, gas, tolls, wear and tear on your car, and the need to stop en route to eat and to spend the night at motels. Cruises and flights are two of the very vew things that have declined in price (in real dollars) since the 70s and 80s. You don't need to spend $6k on a cruise. Cruises are one of the best bargains in the travel industry.

Quote:
They drove a Ford Taurus or a mini van, now everyone drives an Escalade or Volvo.
I have no desire to drive an expensive car.

Quote:
Houses had maybe two televisions, not flat screens in every kids room
The flat screen in "every kid's room" today costs less than what an old fashioned TV cost during the 70s and 80s. The price of cable, on the other hand, has become ridiculous.

Quote:
and we all didn't have cell phones and laptops.
Unfortunately, those have become necessary to some extent in today's world. A student with no computer is going to be at a serious disadvantage compared to the vast majority that do have them.

Quote:
Parents didn't pay for lacrosse camps, dance recitals and three travel teams. Kids played on local leagues and wore their brothers old cleats. This was how it was in my town and we were solid middle class.
That I will agree with. Extra-curricular activities to boost ones chance at getting into a "good" college have almost become an arms race.

Quote:
Expectations and expenses have risen and it's very hard to compare back then to now. I see 14 year olds getting manicures and wearing Coach bags.
Again, that is ridiculous, and that is not the lifestyle that I am looking for.

Quote:
Kids don't get jobs now until they are out of college, we were mowing lawns babysitting and bussing tables as soon as we could get our working papers. Life is so different now.
Although, a lot of that is due to the economy, where adults are forced to take the jobs that teenagers previously worked. The lack of work experience, unfortunately, is going to put the next generation at a very serious disadvantage.

Quote:
I don't know about the OP, but Patchogue-Medford is not a school district that I would want to send my children to, nor would I want to live in that area. Not trying to be snobby, just realistic.
I'm not bashing anyone who chooses to live in that district. I just would not feel comfortable living in that district. Also, MajorTom1981 was resorting to lies about Nob Hill (the condo complex I live in) in another thread to try to convince the OP not to move here, and to instead move to Blue Ridge, in the Pat-Med school district. I cannot understand why MajorTom1981 would choose to live in the Pat-Med school district when he had Nob Hill (Connetquot school district) as an option.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
What is it you consider a middle class lifestyle?
Basically, when I have kids, I would want them to have enough space to live comfortably and live in a good school district where they can be safe and get a good education (without having to pay for a private school that we can't afford), and where I would be able to have a reasonable commute to work (I don't consider taking the train at 5 AM to be reasonable). Also, I would not expect much as far as material posessions, but I would, at the same time, not want to have to worry about every penny that I spend. I would also want to have enough free time to actually spend time with any kids that I have. I would also want to be able to retire before I am too old and sick to really enjoy it. Why is it so unreasonable for me to expect this?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,572,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you. Your thesaurus defintion is consistent with what I stated, entitled = deserving.

And if you work hard for the degree then you're entitled to it. Doesn't mean you're not also exhibiting self-entitlement about what you expected to get in life just because you got yourself a degree or 2.
Sorry, I thought you were.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,572,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
S/he is entitled to what s/he can afford on this earth, but perhaps s/he has treasures waiting in Heaven.
We'll see what the LI Medium has to say

Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Basically, when I have kids, I would want them to have enough space to live comfortably and live in a good school district where they can be safe and get a good education (without having to pay for a private school that we can't afford), and where I would be able to have a reasonable commute to work (I don't consider taking the train at 5 AM to be reasonable). Also, I would not expect much as far as material posessions, but I would, at the same time, not want to have to worry about every penny that I spend. I would also want to have enough free time to actually spend time with any kids that I have. I would also want to be able to retire before I am too old and sick to really enjoy it. Why is it so unreasonable for me to expect this?

That is all achievable as far as I am concerned. Is Nassau Co. not up to par in your eyes? Perhaps your standards are too high with reality. I don't want to get up at 4:30 every morning either but, ( and I have a 25 min drive to work) that's life.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
That is all achievable as far as I am concerned. Is Nassau Co. not up to par in your eyes? Perhaps your standards are too high with reality. I don't want to get up at 4:30 every morning either but, ( and I have a 25 min drive to work) that's life.
The problem is, the good parts of Nassau County are too expensive.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The problem is, the good parts of Nassau County are too expensive.

That's your problem though. Millions of people would disagree with you in a heartbeat.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
That's your problem though. Millions of people would disagree with you in a heartbeat.
Because either those people are in fields that are higher paying than mine, or they bought their house many decades ago when they were still affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island