Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoholic2012 View Post
Hi,
We are looking into buying a home (our first one) in Long Island and is trying to figure out which place suit us better: Floral Park vs. New Hyde Park...mainly because my husband and I need to commute to the city and these two areas seem to meet our budget in terms of housing (around 45K under 50K), lower taxes comparing to other LI areas, and excellent school district.

But I am a bit concern about us being Chinese, I know that NHP has Asians, in general are people happy to have us? Are we going to be like an outsiders? (I used to live in Rhode Island- oh boy, I had so much trouble going through junior high and high school when all the Americans were making fun of my accent and I really don't want my kids to go through that).

Other postings are super helpful, I'm aware of the difference between being in the "village" or just having the zip code....now...would you guys recommend us buying a place in the village? Village taxes + LI taxes together isn't cheap (esp when it's our first home and we have to be careful with our calcuations to ensure we can pay all the bills).
Can someone explain more about parking in the village? (on the street and at the LIRR station), and is there a waiting list to get that "sticker"?
Does NHP have Middle schools???

Thanks so much for reading this!!!
Hands down New Hyde Park. It is less homogeneous than Floral Park.
Most of Floral Park has a blue collar feel. There is one area with pretty homes and a nice ambiance , - Bellrose Villiage. It is a cluster of vintage 1920's homes with in a home owner association. Pretty, walkable with treelined streets.

That is pretty much the only place I think is visually appealing. It is pretty clicqueish there, though. Someone I know very well lived there, and his wife, an Italian American, fit in. He didn't feel that he did. He was Jewish. This is about five years ago, but I don't think there were any Asians there of any type. Pretty much solidly Irish-Italian Catholics.
That is even more true outside of Bellrose Village, in Floral Park as a whole. I do not think anyone would harass you or anything like that. They might be standoffish, or occasionally "put their foot in their mouth" because they are generally not used to being wiith people other than their own kind. That was my friend's experience.

The other drawback with Floral Park is that there is no middle school or junior high school. Floral Park Memorial includes grades 7-12.

New Hyde Park has many Chinese families, and more professionals.
I really think it would be a better fit.

Best of luck to you both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 27,496 times
Manhasset hills nice post.... I must be blind because I always thought anything on the other side of Marcus Avenue was in the New Hyde Park district, thanks for clearing everything up.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM

147 posts, read 543,509 times
No problem. Here is a link of the Herricks School District Map. You can zoom in and out to see the exact borders of the Herricks school district. Other interesting thing to note is that part of Manhasset is also zoned for Herricks school district since the northern border crosses over the Long Island Expwy.
Herricks Union Free School District - New Hyde Park NY

Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
Other interesting thing to note is that part of Manhasset is also zoned for Herricks school district since the northern border crosses over the Long Island Expwy.
Part of the "Manhasset, NY 11030" ZIP Code, but not part of the Hamlet of Manhasset.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 AM

5 posts, read 14,068 times
Hi chocoholic2012,

Was wondering if you ever decided on where to live? As a young Asian-American family ourselves, we are looking to move into Floral Park, precisely for the small village feeling. We also thought about NHP but felt it was too "big" and felt too Queens, which is what we were trying to escape from. There are certain parts of NHP that are nicer but obviously a lot more expensive for smaller homes; additionally you'd have to be wary of the school districts as well.

Please update us, I'd be very interested in knowing what you finally decided on.

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Chocoholic made a whopping 3 posts on CD..the last in May...I think it is safe to say that there is a greater chance I will be canonized within the next week than Choco giving you any update.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:59 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Move to Great Neck. Plenty of asians and great schools.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:17 PM

147 posts, read 543,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila19 View Post
Hi chocoholic2012,

Was wondering if you ever decided on where to live? As a young Asian-American family ourselves, we are looking to move into Floral Park, precisely for the small village feeling. We also thought about NHP but felt it was too "big" and felt too Queens, which is what we were trying to escape from. There are certain parts of NHP that are nicer but obviously a lot more expensive for smaller homes; additionally you'd have to be wary of the school districts as well.

Please update us, I'd be very interested in knowing what you finally decided on.

Thanks!
Chocoholic2012, you are not making sense. You thought that NHP felt too Queens and Floral Park doesn't feel like Queens
Then you said that you have to worry about NHP school districts but you don't have to worry about Floral Park school districts.
NHP school district is better than Floral Park and NHP actually feels less like Queens compared to Floral Park. You really should research your areas better!

Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM

83 posts, read 254,819 times
Quote:
Chocoholic2012, you are not making sense. You thought that NHP felt too Queens and Floral Park doesn't feel like Queens
Then you said that you have to worry about NHP school districts but you don't have to worry about Floral Park school districts.
NHP school district is better than Floral Park and NHP actually feels less like Queens compared to Floral Park. You really should research your areas better!
Actually you are not correct if you compare high schools. NHP HS and FPM HS are ranked exactly the same according to their Regents English & Regents Integrated Algebra 2010-2011 test results. Both high schools are ranked 88th out of 1159 high schools in NYS.

New York State High Schools - NY School Rankings

Coincidentally, Herricks HS is ranked 265th out of 1159 high schools in NYS.

New York State High Schools - NY School Rankings

With regard to grammer schools NHP/GCP has the edge on FP/BR. NHP/GCP is ranked 55th out of 704 school district. Herricks is ranked 47th out of 704, while FP/BR is ranked 112th out of 704. All very respectable numbers in my opinion...

Old 09-09-2012, 06:19 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
In addition, Manhasset Hills houses are zoned for either Herricks school districts and Great Neck school districts.
i wasn't aware parts of manhasset hills r zoned for GN school district. I am aware small parts of NHP are zoned for GN SD.

MK1= Its rather comical someone here would say R/E agents make up names of area. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island