Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 PM

69 posts, read 241,306 times

Advertisements

Looking in Nassau or Suffolk for suggestions on good places to get LASIK done...figured enough people have had it done that someone here would have a recommendation. Moreso looking for how much it cost as well...I appreciate the info if you got it a long time ago, but I'm especially looking for as recent as possible on that so I can get a better gauge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Try calling Craig Richter - he's a good eye doctor in Huntington. I think he does Lasik - and if he doesn't he will give you a referral to another MD who performs it -

148 East Main Street
Huntington, NY
631-271-3900

Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,668 times
Had my surgery with Eric Donnenfeld about two years ago. LASIK Long Island - Laser Eye Surgery - Dr. Eric D. Donnenfeld

If you are willing to go into the city Ken Moadel. He's done a bunch of the Yankees. LASIK New York NYC LASIK Manhattan Best New York City LASIK Surgeon

Price should be around 4-5k but should that really be your deciding factor with this surgery?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIguy257 View Post
Looking in Nassau or Suffolk for suggestions on good places to get LASIK done...figured enough people have had it done that someone here would have a recommendation. Moreso looking for how much it cost as well...I appreciate the info if you got it a long time ago, but I'm especially looking for as recent as possible on that so I can get a better gauge.
I am going to get it done too. I think I narrowed my search between TLC in Garden City or Passaretti in Brentwood. I will make a consult with both.

It's really not about price. You know, those $399 Pennysaver ads, lol

I know a few people who used both with great success.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM

414 posts, read 808,798 times
I used Stahl just a hair over a year ago, everything has been great since. Dr Chang did mine and he was great. 4400 for both eyes, my eye plan saved me 15% of that, then my health care flex plan paid the rest, and saved me a nice chunk in taxes for the year as well. I checked TLC also, I didnt like that you don't really deal with the Dr doing the surgery until day of the procedure. The free consultation where the girl was spewing all sorts of stuff about a friend of hers looking for investors turned me off instantly as well.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
I had Lasik done in May 2005 by Kelly Laser Center. I really liked him and think they did a great job. My eyes were REALLY, REALLY bad. My vision was like 20/1000 or something like that. I also had a really bad astigmatism along with nearsightedness. They were upfront with me about possibly having to go for an enhancement afterwards b/c my eyes were so bad! I ended up taking out the plan that included the enhancement and sure enough, i needed to get it done b/c I was seeing halos at night and was unable to drive at night and also, my vision swas like 20/60. Now my vision is 20/20..although I think sometimes it's more 20/25 but I'm a migraine sufferer so that could affect visions. I can't recall what I paid back then but they did do a payment plan with 0% interest or something or other. They are located in Garden City. I had a few friends use them and they were happy.

Good luck! It's awesome waking up during the night and not needing glasses.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:20 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
I went to the Brentwood location of LI Lasik. This was back in 2004. I had crazy health insurance at the time and they actually picked up the tab. Procedure was quick and easy and I was driving to work without needing glasses the very next day.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 AM

79 posts, read 232,517 times
I had mine done last year, referred by a friend who has LASIK done by the same doctor.

South Shore Eye Care

Dr. Howard Lane

He is very thorough, and really nice. My friend had Lasik done, his friend had recommended him, and so he recommended me. All our surgeries were done perfectly. I have better than 20/20 vision and no side effects (no halos or blurriness, nothing).

The other two had LASIK (where they cut the flap in your eye, apply the laser below the flap, then close the flap) vision correction is instant.

I had PRK done because based on my research it is a safer procedure. I've read about many complications with creating the flap (dry eyes and the flap coming off years later) it appears the flap never actually fully heals. PRK doesn't require the cutting of a flap in your eye, but the healing time is little longer. WELL worth it for the decreased risk.

With PRK, they remove some outer epithelium cells then apply the laser on the outside of your eye. Your vision will be blurry for a few days after surgery while the epithelium layer grows back. Mine took about 4 days.

Lasik with Dr Lane was 5,000. PRK was 4,700. I was able to use my FSA through my Job, so using pre-tax dollars, it really only cost me around 3,000.

The initial consultation is free.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 AM

200 posts, read 379,924 times
Default Another Donnefeld Recommendation here

As with other poster, I also used him... about 7 years ago. He is one of the founders of the technology. Highly recommend. He has offices at near Roosevelt Field and one at Mercy (used to anyway)

Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 AM

79 posts, read 232,517 times
BTW, I also 100% agree with previous posters. PRICE SHOULD NOT IMPACT YOUR DECISION. Those companies that charge $2,000 dollars for both eyes are probably very risky choices. Go with a doctor that has a good reputation.

DO YOUR RESEARCH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island