Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,333,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You missed a key point in my post. I was under the impression that the OP was meeting their financial obligations on one income. Too many households have both parents working because they want all the extra's, thats a big difference from familys were both work to pay the bills.

We still have our piano...
Do you really think the majority of families on LI (and in this country in general) with both parents working are doing it for "extras?" I would say those are the minority, not "too many."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,422,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
They might use the meat spork instead of the dairy spork!
ok, i like that

Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,422,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I would say those are the minority, not "too many."
Agree, mainly trying to make ends work.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM

19,272 posts, read 17,143,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you really think the majority of families on LI (and in this country in general) with both parents working are doing it for "extras?" I would say those are the minority, not "too many."
I would say it changed although I know too many that are doing it for the xtras. As I wrote I originally thought the OP was able to live on the one salary, I then corrected myself.

Prior to the ecomomy changing I would say many were duel income because they wanted the extras not to make ends meat as it is now.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,333,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I would say it changed although I know too many that are doing it for the xtras. As I wrote I originally thought the OP was able to live on the one salary, I then corrected myself.

Prior to the ecomomy changing I would say many were duel income because they wanted the extras not to make ends meat as it is now.
Which economy change? Not the most recent one. I think both parents were working because of necessity NOT frills BEFORE the most recent/current recession, at least on LI. Which location are you talking about? LI or VA?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM

19,272 posts, read 17,143,423 times
/\

That may be, I remember reading a post on the Westchester board were someone wrote "Your really can't get a decent home for under one million" That was last year. I think there are a significant number (perhaps not on these boards) that live quite nicely on one income even in the current economy. There has been and continues to be the typical middle class that both work to stay afloat, more so now.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:13 PM

8,701 posts, read 11,101,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Maybe in Glen Head they do

I don't know anyone that pays anywhere near $2k. . The average working household or single parent can't afford $2k-$4k, so it sounds like the people you know are paying for fancy babysitters in fancy neighborhoods.
I do know people who pay that much. That depends on the requirements. Some people require to have a nanny 24/7 for a nearly a month. Then she has one weekend off a month. Yeah sounds crazy but there are costs associated with it.

Also other req. like someone who drives, can speak english well, etc....can easily drive up the prices.

I also know couples with 5 kids.....that obviously has costs associated with this as well.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,575,553 times
"Trying to make ends work"?
"Duel income"?

Sounds like everyone is looking for an escape goat.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM

77 posts, read 165,053 times
We know of people in both situations. Some got married young and bought houses for $90k to $150k fifteen years ago and now their kids are older and they have money for new cars, vacations, updates on their homes, dinners out and college tuition. I also know people like ourselves that have big mortgages and can't go anywhere or do anything "extra". We are "modestly comfortable". Going out to eat every few months to a nice restaurant is our splurge.
Some inherited money or live in two family mcmansions with their parents who help pay the bills. Some have no kids and some have lots of kids. There are so many different situations that you never really know how people are paying for that Disney Cruise or new Mercedes. Most people that I know that are dual income are doing it for the extras or live above their means. I also know plenty of comfortable one income households that live very nicely.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 PM

8,701 posts, read 11,101,345 times
^^great points. people here bring up the old days. Remember, 25 yrs ago when houses was 150k, that was a LOT of money too. also mortgage rates was 16% and more. I really agree people expect a lot these days in terms of material goods too. But I do also agree we have many expenses as well.

It wasn't long ago I had friends who expected to pull in 90k out of undergrad school & expect to buy close to 7 figure homes under 30 yrs of age. Its nice to be ambitious but its really not realistic for many people imo. I do admit i sort of have a disdain for that self entitlement generation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island