Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:52 AM

72 posts, read 158,025 times

Advertisements

Hi all...I just joined this very informative forum. I grew up in Hicksville. Lived most of my life there with my parents until about age 30 and then moved to Atlanta because of a job transfer. I took my girlfriend from Huntington with me and we got married, bought a lovely home, new cars and lived the big life in Atlanta for 20 years now. My wife died 4 years ago. I am now 50 with no children. I was thinking about moving back to L.I. now.

My 3 bdrm house here in ATL is paid off and now only worth about what I paid for it new in 1994....about $140,000. I gross $40,000 a year salary...approx $2000.00 a month take home. I have some $$ saved to put down on something, because my relator here says it could take a year or more to sell. My brother (on L.I.) says fehgettabout a house on L.I. No-way could I afford one in a decent area. He said I will have to settle on a 1 bdrm condo and struggle, struggle, struggle. He said fehgattabout eating out, $$ in my pocket...etc..etc. He said everything is like double/triple compared to ATL. I checked auto ins...and it is at least double.....property taxes at least triple/quadruple.... Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,075,753 times
Yeah, unfortunately at that salary, it would be a tough go moving back to LI. While you would have the money in pocket from the sale of the house, you'd probably want to save that for retirement, rather than using all of it towards a house and having nothing left to save.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,939,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswilson View Post
Hi all...I just joined this very informative forum. I grew up in Hicksville. Lived most of my life there with my parents until about age 30 and then moved to Atlanta because of a job transfer. I took my girlfriend from Huntington with me and we got married, bought a lovely home, new cars and lived the big life in Atlanta for 20 years now. My wife died 4 years ago. I am now 50 with no children. I was thinking about moving back to L.I. now.

My 3 bdrm house here in ATL is paid off and now only worth about what I paid for it new in 1994....about $140,000. I gross $40,000 a year salary...approx $2000.00 a month take home. I have some $$ saved to put down on something, because my relator here says it could take a year or more to sell. My brother (on L.I.) says fehgettabout a house on L.I. No-way could I afford one in a decent area. He said I will have to settle on a 1 bdrm condo and struggle, struggle, struggle. He said fehgattabout eating out, $$ in my pocket...etc..etc. He said everything is like double/triple compared to ATL. I checked auto ins...and it is at least double.....property taxes at least triple/quadruple.... Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks!!

Sounds like your doing fine where your at....

Why do you want to move back

Do you want to struggle? or try to recapture your youth? or feel you need a change?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Sounds like your doing fine where your at....

Why do you want to move back

Do you want to struggle or try to recapture your youth or feel you need a change?
I really dont want to struggle. I like having expendable cash in my pocket. I dont want to live like a bum on L.I., but I feel I need a change, and I am homesick since my wife died. I'm hoping that I wouldnt have to live paycheck to paycheck. I worry about unexpected expenses, like an expensive car repair/tires/a new appliance etc..

Old 12-30-2011, 07:32 AM

184 posts, read 804,186 times
I would stay put or if you really need a change, move somewhere else but not Long Island. You might be feeling homesick but it is better than moving here and just getting by. Long Island is not what you probably remember anyway

Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,318,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswilson View Post

You lived 20 adult years in ATL and probably 20 adult on LI.... seems like inspite of the big life you never felt home in ATL then. Sorry for your loss, but I think you might not do very well financially here on LI given your income. I know in the back of your mind you want to come back because you spent your initial years here and your mind is painting a very rosy picture of the things that you can have back in your life on LI.... but I would be very apprehensive of it unless you can find a high paying job.

Why don't you come stay with your brother for a couple of months if possible and check it out....
P.S: Your brother does not hate you (well technically, he could be !!), but he is telling you the truth abt LI.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 AM

22,646 posts, read 36,614,732 times
If you do move back, do not do it till you've sold your house in ATL. $2,000 a month doesn't go far on Long Island, and you don't need an out-of-state albatross hanging around your neck....even if it's paid off a house still has expenses.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeInLI View Post
I would stay put or if you really need a change, move somewhere else but not Long Island. You might be feeling homesick but it is better than moving here and just getting by. Long Island is not what you probably remember anyway
As I'm reading the forums, it does seem that some neighborhoods have changed for the worse. My brother has a very nice home in Hauppauge but his car was broken into twice... right in the driveway, and my nephews car was stolen from the house and later found in Brentwood. Where would be a good, affordable, safe place to live now? My aunt says Forest Hills, but its expensive...I think I would be relegated to a studio...plus, she said it would cost like $200.00 a month in her co-op for a garage parking spot for my new car. What-to-do.....what-to-do..... Its still tough for me to make decisions after loosing my wife.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:00 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,727,919 times
Does your $40k salary transfer over to LI? What line of work?

Forest Hills is not bad. One of the safer areas in Queens. You might not even need a car if you move there.

Apartments there are probably in the range of $1500 average.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you do move back, do not do it till you've sold your house in ATL. $2,000 a month doesn't go far on Long Island, and you don't need an out-of-state albatross hanging around your neck....even if it's paid off a house still has expenses.
I know...thats the other thing thats troubling me. I thought about renting it...but many people advise against it if I am out of state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island