Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
Poor idea, since the vineyards alone jam up traffic for miles on the weekend. It's just too far off the beaten path, better to just leave it rural and bolster local farming, etc. Eastern Suffolk has its own local industries being developed, bringing the city out there would only be detrimental to LI as a whole.
The vineyards are away from the expressway. Once you get off you have to drive for at least 10 minutes minimum which would put you near Jamesport. Calverton is just off the expressway and can also be accessed by 25 and 25A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,595 times
25 & 25A are the ones that get jammed hardcore with traffic. How do you plan to alleviate that?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Whats the big deal with tanger i mean its actually listed as a tourist attraction i didin"t know malls were tourist attractions.
Ever hear of the Mall of America in Minnesota?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 AM

556 posts, read 1,445,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
And you not opposed to a mall i go out to the riverhead track every week
and the tanger traffic is a little worse then the tracks.
Do they still do the demo derbys and figure 8 track? i tell people all the time i remember being a kid and going there, and they always want to know(as do I)

Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
This isn't about job development, it is about cultural relevance and growth. The taxpayers don't benefit financially from zoos, museums, nightclubs, tracks, arenas, pro sports, etc. They benefit culturally which improves quality of life (for most, except the Nimbyites who just want silence on every sq inch of the Island) and attract additional development and feeder businesses. Selling hot dogs for $8/hr isn't the greatest job (unless you don't have one) but the meat distributor who gets that contract is a happy guy as are the hundreds of other suppliers and if the $8/hr helps pay for daycare so another spouse can work then that's more $ in the tax base. That's how growth works.

Losing the arena and team adds NOTHING! NOTHING!! We also lose the Syosset facility which adds jobs and is a cultural center for sports and lessons. Letting industries walk away is not a recipe for prosperity.

The Islanders are just another big industry LI is willing to let go because the taxpayers are mad that we fell asleep at the switch and let the school and police unions fleece us and we signed off on it. Still, we keep electing the same chumps who put their names on the dotted lines that hang us.

Losing the cache of a world class pro sports team (one that happened to be an unmatched dynasty once) and arena is a SIGNIFICANT sign of decline. It's another SYMBOL of politcal cowardess and ineptitude and a clear sign that the Island is NOT a place of growth and ambition. A clear sign for businesses to stay away. Nothing can get done because no one wants anything done.

You can't create anything (jobs) if you never break ground on SOMETHING. Trading pro franchises for minor league sports or none at all is just sad and disheartening.
You got it! Taxpayers are spitting mad, but many of them don't know or understand WHO is the reason for at least 90% of their over-inflated and unaffordable property taxes, so they will bring down the hammer on anything ... that's how Mangano got elected -- they brought down the hammer on Suozzi because of the high property taxes. I also think having that vote in August, costing another $2,000,000, instead of waiting until the November elections, was a total waste of our money. I wonder why Mangano HAD TO do it then. I guess there was some big back room deal that wanted to hurry along.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
They should have allowed the Lighthouse project to procede. Not sure why NIMBYism would come into effect here, it's just a case of out with the old, in with the new. It would have restored the entire area.
It might have "disturbed" the seniors in the low-cost, ridiculously low maintenance fee, over-55 Town of Hempstead-funded project (there I said it! project!) called The Knolls in East Meadow. They're afraid of more traffic because they can barely drive as it is. (If you are in East Meadow and see a car with a parking sticker on the back that says "EMK," run for your life.) And that's just ONE NIMBY example in the area that likely freaked out over the Lighthouse Project.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,595 times
Haha. Are you trying to say that the local population in that area is aging? Truthfully, it's already a heavily travelled area. With the proper planning, the roadways could have been improved.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:56 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Calverton should have been a raceway park like they tried to do 8 years ago when I bought my Corvette. Its wasted land and wasted revenue. Don't believe me, check out how they tore up an aerodynamic testing facility that there are less then a dozen of in the entire US. Yeah, smart move. I'm sure the multimillion dollar facility wouldn't have been bringing in any tax revenue. Now we have this giant field with pavement already laid to turn into a track and we can't because of the idiocracy government and the NIMBY morons who then wonder why their taxes are so high.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:04 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
25 & 25A are the ones that get jammed hardcore with traffic. How do you plan to alleviate that?
To get to the vineyards on the north fork you MUST take the LIE,there is no other way unless you take a longer route. Then you go through Riverhead. To get to Calverton most people would use the expressway. Once you get off the expressway, you are virtually in Calverton. So the time on 25 would be limited (ex. Splish Splash). The only people that would use 25 or 25A are probably locals, so that wouldn't affect traffic significantly.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
I never said Tanger was beneficial, I just said it's been there for years. I think the overdevelopment of that area is attrocious and avoid it like the plague. Traffic on a weekend afternoon is almost like nothing I've ever seen. Please, someone here quote my statements accurately.
Quote:
Since Tanger was put in place, Easter LI has begun redeveloping a nice agricultural economy, especially since the real estate market is toast and fuel prices are up.
There. Your quote word for word. It would imply that the redevelopment of a nice agricultural economy has evolved since the construction of Tanger. Is the redevelopment of 'a nice agrocultural economy' a negative or a positive?

Quote:
Y'all should get your little pink panties out of a bunch and stop twisting the words of other folks. My views are forward looking and, unfortunately you can't just go and undo what's been done just because you don't like it.
Y'all should say what you mean and mean what you say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island