Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times

Advertisements

A large pie is usually around $12 so I'd rather pay that than order a Papa Whosit's for $8, even for the kids.

That said, I've lived all order and my credo is "even bad pizza is good eatin!"

When my band was touring, I had some Domino's in the wee hours that was the greatest food I'd ever eaten in my life. At least I think it was. I don't remember completely. The worst was McConkeys gas station and video rentals in Maine where the dough was already formed and came out of a bag (way pre Boboli) and the sauce out of the can and it was still awesome....why?....because....

"EVEN BAD PIZZA IS GOOD EATIN!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,716 times
Just paid $11 for a large pepperoni pizza ($13.74) and chicken strips ($6.99). The kids look at it as a treat (they even enjoy the online ordering) and they're the ones who are going to eat most of it anyway.
Thanks for posting this Lancet71!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 AM

322 posts, read 937,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
That's how you can tell the difference from someone who was born in the city and moved here as opposed to someone who lived here their whole life. Long Islanders 'usually' haven't explored the cuisine as much (outside of their general area/10 mile radius) and will hit the fast food pizza places more often than others. As someone who came from the city originally, I will only pick it up if it a killer deal or one of the kids requests it. I consider it on par with Ellios frozen pizza but sometimes a cheap meal is just that. If I find something really good, I have been known to pull an hour or two roadtrip to get something that is really good.

***Currently planning a roadtrip for cheesteaks soon.Too bad Philly isn't around the corner. Well at least Tony Lukes is opening a NYC location soon.
NYC or Brooklyn may have better pizza than LI, but who is going to trek all the way to NYC/Brooklyn just for pizza?

There are plenty of non-chain pizzerias on the island, it's just a matter of finding one that makes it the way you like it. The pizzeria I frequented for the last 5 years closed recently, and after trying 5 other different places I still can't find one that makes it as good.

However, I just found out it is reopening with the original (not previous) owner but I'll only be happy if it tastes as good if not better as the last owner's.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Who really cares where someone else is buying their real or pseudo pizza? I have a decent place nearby where I get all the typical pizza -- junk pie on sicillian, meat pie, etc. When I want a fiery Hawaiian, I have no choice but Domino's.

It' ain't Brooklyn pie, but then again, Brooklyn pie isn't the same as pie from Italy -- if we really want to get snobby about it.

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/food/pizza-history.asp

Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Im totally embarassed to admit. I love Papa John's. Used to get it all the time when I lived in FL (they are everywhere). Every once in awhile I still have to grab a pie. I know its cheap "fast food" pizza but I cant help myself lol!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 AM

13 posts, read 21,958 times
We ordered Papa John's once to try it.. One of the pies tasted like it had Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage on it..

I'm in East Northport and there's a couple of really top notch Pizza joints here, just real good food and good people behind the counter.. The sausage/pepperoni pies are out of this world..

There's also one in East Northport that has the worst pizza possibly ever made, if you know the old Carvel building on Larkfield and 5th Avenue, you know the place I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island