Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM

6 posts, read 21,029 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job offer in Melville, NY. One of the factors we are considering is where we should live if he takes the job. Here are some backgrounds: 1) My job requires me to travel to Manhattan 1-2 times a week to teach evening classes, which end at about 10PM.In addtion, I have to go to Manhattan for late morning meetings 2-4 times a month. 2) My husband's job requires him to be in office 9-5 every weekday. 3) My older child is starting high school this fall, and my younger is still in elementary school. So Ideally, we would like a place that is 1) in a great school district, 2) an easy commute to Melville (eg, <30 min one way), and 3) easy access to a train station WITH PARKING LOTS THAT WILL NOT FILL UP BEFORE 9AM. I know these conditions may not all be met, so I am open to any suggestions from people that currently live in the area (we are moving in from out of state).Upon research, Jericho appears to be the best school district. But it does not seem to have a train station to the city. I imagine many parents living there have to deal with commuting to the city, so how do people handle the transportation and commute from Jericho to Manhattan? Manhasset and Great Neck also seem to have great schools, and have train stations. How is the commute from Manhasset or Great Neck to Melville in the morning rush hours? Jericho seems to have more affordable housing than Great Neck and Manhasset, all with good schools. From housing resale value perspective, which town offers the best potential/prospect. Any information/suggestion is apprecited. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
What's your budget?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What's your budget?
Very important!
Are you planning on renting first?

Parking for your late morning meetings is going to be your biggest hurdle no matter where - unless you take a cab on those (few) days. For your evening classes, you'll most likely find parking in the afternoon.
Manhasset trains IMHO would be best for you in terms of convenience.

Driving to Melville from Manhasset should be around 30 min or so. You have the option of taking highways (Northern State Parkway or Long Island Expressway, or even Jericho Tpke (Rte 25). Recently I've been driving back and forth to Manhasset frequently; from Huntington, it takes me about 30 minutes without highways.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 PM

Default Thanks! Re budget: we plan to rent first,

but we hope to be able to buy in the same school district so that my high schooler won't have to transfer to a new HS. If cab is available, yes, I can take a cab on the meeting days. For my teaching days, if I drive and leave home, say from Jericho or Manhasset, to Midtown, at around 2PM, how is the traffic into the city during those early afternoon hours? Or is traffic a nightmare throughout the day? thanks!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 PM

Default Budget<=$750K.

Budget<=$750K, but we want be in an area with good resale values.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave_heart View Post
but we hope to be able to buy in the same school district so that my high schooler won't have to transfer to a new HS. If cab is available, yes, I can take a cab on the meeting days. For my teaching days, if I drive and leave home, say from Jericho or Manhasset, to Midtown, at around 2PM, how is the traffic into the city during those early afternoon hours? Or is traffic a nightmare throughout the day? thanks!
As someone who commuted for many many years (gave that up LOL) it's been my observation that the only time you don't have too much traffic in NYC is in the middle of the night . Of course you are finishing late, so maybe you could put up with the congestion one way.

Another thing to consider is parking, which is difficult to find or expensive in parking lots - unless where you teach will provide a (free) spot for you.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave_heart View Post
Budget<=$750K, but we want be in an area with good resale values.
You're talking top areas; other than rentals, what are your minimum requirements, i.e. # of BRs, baths, garage(s), CAC, size of property, etc. as well as condition (updated vs. outdated but good bones or somewhere in between)? The answer to that may limit your choice of location(s).

Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Manhasset would be a good option but I think your budget is low. Not sure where you're coming from but on Long Island in the areas you like, $750K isn't going to buy you a lot of house, or an updated house. Also like Elke said, driving into the city isn't a great option at any time traffic-wise, but aside from that parking is the big issue. If parking is provided it's probably a lot less stressful. I have a friend who's been driving in at 5:30 a.m. for many years, but she has a spot in a private lot (company paid, company car so no wear and tear on hers).

Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 AM

Default Thank you both! I think I'll give up on the driving idea. back to

the train station parking, Elke said I will likely be able to find parking in the afternoon. Is this referring to Manhasset, or Jericho? I'm also a bit puzzled: don't people park their cars there for a full work day? Upon reading the forum, Manhasset residents need to get a parking sticker and then pay $3 a day for the parking. How much is the sticker and is there a long waiting list for it? Besides the sticker lots and cab, is there any other options, such as street parking or privately operated lots that do not fill up before 9am?

Yes indeed, it looks like that $750k is a little low for a house in Manhasset. We are moving in from midwest, so it is somewhat a shock. But we do not need a lot. A 3 or 4 BR, 2+ bathrooms, with at least one garage, will do. The schools' quality and area safety and friendliness is definitely more important than the condition of the house. But if it is an outdated house, we need it to have good bones.

Also, how do the property tax rates differ among Jericho, Manhasset, and Great Neck? I am hoping to keep that below $12K, and I am sure the taxes will only go up by the year.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,057 times
manhasset is the "nicest" imo of the areas you mentioned, but i am biased because I hate both great neck and jericho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island