Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of an affordable area that doesn't have extreme weather? Also does this area have limited pests/insects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Does anyone know of an affordable area that doesn't have extreme weather? Also does this area have limited pests/insects?
Well.... I think just about everywhere nowadays is having more extreme weather.

This being said, I think Chesterfield or Henrico counties in VA are pretty good. Affordable, good schools, lower state income tax............and much much lower property taxes.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:43 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
if you can find a decent job and enjoy a sub tropical environment then parts of Fla are paradise. The summer weather in most of the south and even at times in the northeast is just as if not more uncomfortable than fla.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,990 times
I was indifferent when I left. Now that I'm away I'm much happier. My reasons for leaving were non monetary though. In a broad based simplification, I've noticed that people that leave strictly for monetary reasons usually are disappointed. Superficial reasons for leaving a place you like such a bigger house , lower taxes while on paper seem good , can't quench and satisfy one at their deepest core. Those like myself who left for deeper seeded more important issues tend to see LI for what it was yesteryear and admire it, but realize things change. My childhood and growing up there will always hold a special place in my heart. However, when I go bad to visit now honestly the place disgusts me.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,930 times
Although I think it's good to live in different areas (if it's possible for you financially), I don't necessarily see the point in thinking that life will be better when you change cities/states. Long Island has it's ups and downs like any other place. I would move for the experience, but not because I think it would change everything. Your life ultimately, has a lot to do with your state of mind. That being said, I do love the D.C. area and would like to experience some time there. But Long Island has it's own charm!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,237 times
We have had our house on the market for a year with intentions of moving to S. Carolina, but the market stinks and we refuse to sell for a desperate price as many in my town seem to be doing lately. We found a charming town about 25 minutes inland from Charleston and fell in love with the area. People were so friendly, traffic was minimal and we could buy a decent ranch on an acre for $125,000. Both of our grown kids are here and we would certainly miss being close to them, but as I say to everyone, there's trains, planes and automobiles .... and Skype. The taxes on our 105 yr. old house have gone from $2300 when we bought it in 1990 to almost $9,000.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
I have roots here so moving would be out of the question.

Even without the family ties, I would probably not leave Long Island because its location is just so perfect to everything else I enjoy in life - access to NYC with the peaceful-ness and naturistic (relatively) of the suburbs. Close enough to see Broadway and world-class museums, and close enough to enjoy nature out by the East end.

Also, can't beat the fact that most entertainment here is top notch, even without looking at Manhattan. Below is just an excerpt of the concert calendar for local venues in JUST Long Island..I doubt many places outside LI could boast all these performers within a 20-35 mile radius of one's home:

Matisyahu & The Dirty Heads, Mon, Jul 23, The Paramount- Huntington, NY

Snow White, Tue, Jul 24, NYCB Theatre at Westbury

The Allman Brothers Band & Santana, Tue, Jul 24, Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

Bruce Hornsby & the Noisemakers, Wed, Jul 25, NYCB Theatre at Westbury

Maze ft. Frankie Beverly, Wed, Jul 25, Nikon at Jones Beach TheaterBuy Now

Aaron Lewis, Thu, Jul 26, The Paramount - Huntington, NYBuy Now

Travis Tritt, Fri, Jul 27, NYCB Theatre at WestburyBuy Now

The Underwater Tour 2012 - Joshua Radin, Fri, Jul 27, The Paramount - Huntington, NY Buy Now

Neil Sedaka, Sat, Jul 28, NYCB Theatre at WestburyBuy Now

Joe Deguardia's Star Boxing-Rockin' Fights 4, Sat, Jul 28, The Paramount - Huntington, NYBuy Now

Kenny Loggins, Sun, Jul 29, NYCB Theatre at WestburyBuy Now

Joe Cocker & Huey Lewis and the News, Sun, Jul 29, Nikon at Jones Beach TheaterBuy Now

Summerland 2012, Tue, Jul 31, The Paramount - Huntington, NYBuy Now

Jack and the Beanstalk, Tue, Jul 31, NYCB Theatre at Westbury

Ted Nugent, Wed, Aug 1, NYCB Theatre at Westbury

Dick Fox's Golden Boys, Thu, Aug 2, NYCB Theatre at Westbury

Under The Influence Tour with Wiz Khalifa & Mac Miller , Thu, Aug 2, Nikon at Jones Beach...

Rick Springfield, Fri, Aug 3, The Paramount - Huntington, NY

311 & Slightly Stoopid with SOJA, Fri, Aug 3, Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

Slash ft. Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators, Sat, Aug 4, The Paramount - Huntington, NY--

System of a Down with Deftones , Sun, Aug 5, Nikon at Jones Beach Theater --

The Doodlebops & Caillou, Aug 5 @ 1:30pm & 4:30pm, NYCB Theatre at Westbury--

Cinderella, Tue, Aug 7, NYCB Theatre at Westbury--

Big Time Rush with special guest Cody Simpson, Wed, Aug 8, Nikon at Jones Beach Theater--

Kellie Pickler, Thu, Aug 9, The Paramount - Huntington, NY -- O.A.R. - The Summer Crush Tour 2012 with Rebulution, Thu, Aug 9, Nikon at Jones Beach Theater--

Johnny Mathis, Thu, Aug 9, NYCB Theatre at Westbury--

Dave Koz with special guest Bebe Winans , Fri, Aug 10, The Paramount - Huntington, NY--

Journey with Pat Benatar, Neil Giraldo & Loverboy, Fri, Aug 10, Nikon at Jones Beach Theater--

Zebra with White Fire, Sat, Aug 11, The Paramount - Huntington, NY-- [SIZE=2]

Last Summer on Earth Tour with Barenaked Ladies[/SIZE][SIZE=2], Tue, Aug 14, Nikon at Jones Beach Theater[/SIZE] --

Alice In Wonderland, Tue, Aug 14, NYCB Theatre at Westbury-- Little Feat & Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes, Tue, Aug 14, NYCB Theatre at Westbury--

Honda Civic Tour presents Linkin Park & Incubus, Wed, Aug 15, Nikon at Jones Beach Theater--

Mickey Hart, Thu, Aug 16, The Paramount - Huntington, NY-- Rock N Blues Fest, Sat, Aug 18, NYCB Theatre at Westbury--

Jamey Johnson, Sat, Aug 18, The Paramount - Huntington, NY-- Chicago and The Doobie Brothers, Sat, Aug 18, Nikon at Jones Beach Theater--

A Celebration: The Wiggles! Live in Concert, Sun, Aug 19, NYCB Theatre at Westbury--

The Liberation Tour: Mary J. Blige & D'Angelo, Sun, Aug 19, Nikon at Jones Beach Theater-- [SIZE=2]

Kelly Clarkson & The Fray with Carolina Liar[/SIZE][SIZE=2], Tue, Aug 21, Nikon at Jones Beach Theater[/SIZE] --

Peter Pan, Tue, Aug 21, NYCB Theatre at Westbury-- Elvis Tribute Spectacular, Fri, Aug 24, NYCB Theatre at Westbury--

Rusted Root, Fri, Aug 24, The Paramount - Huntington, NY-- Robin Thicke, Sat, Aug 25, The Paramount - Huntington, NY--

Stone Temple Pilots, Aug 27 & 29, The Paramount - Huntington, NY-- B.o.B, Thu, Aug 30, The Paramount - Huntington, NY--

Steve Vai, Fri, Aug 31, NYCB Theatre at Westbury

Old 07-11-2012, 01:58 PM

244 posts, read 540,321 times
Well, once the kids are fully grown and out of college, maybe. Maybe.

It seems that every place I've been to has it's pros and cons. One is much cheaper than Long Island but there's no money in the business I'm in, another has great employment/business opportunities but is much more expensive and inconvenient to live in.

One is nice and cool in the summer but too cold in the winter, the other is way too hot in the summer and no snow (I like snow).

One is a nicer area to live in except when you get a big rain and the entire valley floods, the other too dry to the point where nothing nice grows in the yard.

Yet another has great living conditions overall but electricity and especially Internet service sucks.

Seriously, where else in a decent suburb, are you going to get >30Mbps fiber Internet (FIOS, upload and download), no serious flooding except for the rare >Category 2 hurricane or very strong Nor'Easter (or live near the water), and have all this great stuff around?

Besides California, that is :O

Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
One thing I've noticed is that people who leave strictly for monetary reasons often end up unhappy. Another poster said this a few months back, and I totally agree: if you could buy the same house elsewhere for the same price on LI, would you still leave? If so, don't leave the island.

That said, my reasons for eventually leaving has less to do with finances (I'm stubborn, if I want to live somewhere, I'll make it work), and more to do with QOL. Whenever I leave the island for trips, I always find it hard to come back (was away last week and nearly wanted to turn around when I hit traffic on the Goetholes Bridge). I just have trouble narrowing down WHERE I'd want to go. My only loyalty to Long Island as of now is finishing my degree, my family, and Manhattan. Other than that, I practically have one foot out the door.

Long Island is no doubt a great place, it just isn't for me...anymore.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,616 times
Having left L.I. 10 years ago and regretting it heavily but unable to afford back in, I advise anyone against leaving unless you are retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island