Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM

131 posts, read 300,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
There are no bad schools - only bad students.
The opposite is equally true.
..and "good schools" is code for white-asian middle-class
...which is upper-middleclass in most of the country.
How could you share the best part of a fortune cookie with us without telling us our lucky numbers for the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:43 PM

401 posts, read 944,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
if you have kids and vote no, shame on you. if you live on long island and don't have kids, move
This mentality shows up from time to time. Where should I begin. "If you have kids and vote no, shame on you" Well I have kids. I have also broken out of the egocentric ideolgy that LI schools are the crem de la creme. There are many schools around the nation that do not pay as much per pupil as LI and they perform at higher standards. I never get an answer to this question, but I will ask it for the millionth time, How much are YOU willing to pay for your public school? Is it $12,000 per year, $20,000 per year? I'm sure you feel you can't put a price on your children's education, but the fact is YOU CAN. People do it all the time. Is the quality of the education you receive worth what you are paying for?? Have you actually compared it to others? When your child goes to college, are you going to gladly fork over many thousands of dollars for a mediocre college, or are you going to shop for the best value for your money?

Second point: If your don't have kids then move. Wow, what a great idea. To all of the taxpayers who don't have kids, please move away so the tax burden is double for the families with children. Also, there is no need to stand up for what is right for your community. Just leave to go to a place where it is easier. It would be great if everyone felt that way. George Washington would have gone back to Britian, Abraham Lincoln would have just fell in line...You try to make changes to make a place better. An exodus of LI by people who can't afford housing or the other high cost will leave a pool of citizens not able to sustain their own local governments and school districts. Is that so hard for you to understand?

Old 05-12-2012, 07:31 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Will a 'no' vote mean a cut in superintendent salaries, administrative staffing, and other waste? Or will it mean cuts in sports, raises in class size, and a move to half day kindergarten?

Old 05-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Will a 'no' vote mean a cut in superintendent salaries, administrative staffing, and other waste? Or will it mean cuts in sports, raises in class size, and a move to half day kindergarten?
That depends largely on your school board. Are they fighting for the community or for the union? It is never that simple, but it eventually comes to that. The individuals in your community that are elected to your school board are instrumental in accepting or denying the proposed budget. From the beginning, the tactic of the unions are cuts aimed directly at children. People painc and adopt the budget. After all, it's for the children. No one even considers that cuts could come from other sources(i.e. bloated administration). As long as the board members roll over every year, the community will pay for it.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:19 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times
I was marginally with you until the GW comparison. heavy-handed and hyperbolic much? I don't expect people to just up and leave but I dunno why a couple without children or empty nesters would continue to pay 10, 15, 20k in annual taxes that are heavily comprised of school taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
This mentality shows up from time to time. Where should I begin. "If you have kids and vote no, shame on you" Well I have kids. I have also broken out of the egocentric ideolgy that LI schools are the crem de la creme. There are many schools around the nation that do not pay as much per pupil as LI and they perform at higher standards. I never get an answer to this question, but I will ask it for the millionth time, How much are YOU willing to pay for your public school? Is it $12,000 per year, $20,000 per year? I'm sure you feel you can't put a price on your children's education, but the fact is YOU CAN. People do it all the time. Is the quality of the education you receive worth what you are paying for?? Have you actually compared it to others? When your child goes to college, are you going to gladly fork over many thousands of dollars for a mediocre college, or are you going to shop for the best value for your money?

Second point: If your don't have kids then move. Wow, what a great idea. To all of the taxpayers who don't have kids, please move away so the tax burden is double for the families with children. Also, there is no need to stand up for what is right for your community. Just leave to go to a place where it is easier. It would be great if everyone felt that way. George Washington would have gone back to Britian, Abraham Lincoln would have just fell in line...You try to make changes to make a place better. An exodus of LI by people who can't afford housing or the other high cost will leave a pool of citizens not able to sustain their own local governments and school districts. Is that so hard for you to understand?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I was marginally with you until the GW comparison. heavy-handed and hyperbolic much? I don't expect people to just up and leave but I dunno why a couple without children or empty nesters would continue to pay 10, 15, 20k in annual taxes that are heavily comprised of school taxes.
Heavy handed and hyperbolic? Just leave if you can't afford it is simplistic and shallow thinking. People stay for many reasons: Jobs, family(to name a few). Again, if all empty nesters and childless families left, do you think there would be enough citizens to sustain the local government and school system? How were you marginally with me if you feel all citizens with children should vote yes to the school budgets, less they be shamed? Again, how much taxes is too much for you??

Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times
I'll let you know when I reach the threshold. I am guessing you are either an empty nester or don't have children since you seem particularly offended.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I'll let you know when I reach the threshold. I am guessing you are either an empty nester or don't have children since you seem particularly offended.
As I mentioned in the previous post, I do have children in the public school. I wouldn't really say I was offended: maybe dumbfounded. I didn't grow up on LI, so I have seen school districts run differently. I have just been surprised that so many people are willing to throw good money after bad because they don't know any better. Again, you never directly clarify what you say in your post, and the same lack of clarity is spouted out by the school districts. The offense comes because it is people who feel that ANY amount of taxes is fine for the community. Have you ever questioned whether that tax money is actually helping your child(ren)? I guess I don't understand why more people aren't offended. Have you looked at the prices of the most elite private schools in the US? The amount of taxes that you pay per year would get a full tution at Loyola High School. The solution isn't to move to Baltimore to attend Loyola, but make our own schools comparable in price and qualtiy to the rest of the nation.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 AM

27 posts, read 46,354 times
Default This is the reason the system is bloated and defective

Quote:
if you have kids and vote no, shame on you. if you live on long island and don't have kids, move
This simple, old timer, logic is the reason we have this problem. People do not realize that throwing money, not just their own but your money, is not economically solvent. Proper management of the tax base and schools is necessary.

Any system where the income is guaranteed is rife with corruption. There is no reason to compete, be efficient, or control spending.

The money just rolls in no matter what is done. And if the money is there, there is no reason to save. Just spend ever dollar there is and when the account is empty, just go back and ask for more.

Oh, and the world will come to an end if you vote "NO." Dogs will marry cats, and the sky will fall and the rivers will turn to blood.

If people, and I admit i am one of the "NO Votes", move, then what happens? The system goes bankrupt, the towns destroyed, schools close. The old timers still have their comfortable little tax breaks and complain that their kids don't live near them and wish for the good old days when gold rained down from the heavens.

The times have changed and the prosperity of the past is gone. Get used to it and take control of the budget.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:26 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou weegie B View Post
This simple, old timer, logic is the reason we have this problem. People do not realize that throwing money, not just their own but your money, is not economically solvent. Proper management of the tax base and schools is necessary.

Any system where the income is guaranteed is rife with corruption. There is no reason to compete, be efficient, or control spending.

The money just rolls in no matter what is done. And if the money is there, there is no reason to save. Just spend ever dollar there is and when the account is empty, just go back and ask for more.

Oh, and the world will come to an end if you vote "NO." Dogs will marry cats, and the sky will fall and the rivers will turn to blood.

Biblical Proportions - YouTube

Quote:
If people, and I admit i am one of the "NO Votes", move, then what happens? The system goes bankrupt, the towns destroyed, schools close. The old timers still have their comfortable little tax breaks and complain that their kids don't live near them and wish for the good old days when gold rained down from the heavens.

The times have changed and the prosperity of the past is gone. Get used to it and take control of the budget.
You make too much sense! Accountability? Spending within one's means? Keeping to a budget? Tightening a belt? Hogwash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island