Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 13,358 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

First time posting after reading many of your threads/comments. My family is Catholic, albeit not particularly observant, and we are looking to buy our first home in Plainview. We have fallen in love with the neighborhood generally and in particular with the school district. However, I have heard/read the opinions of many who would label it a heavily or predominantly Jewish area. While this isn't necessarily something that would steer us away from the neighborhood, we also want to make sure that we won't be sort of the "outsiders" as one of the few non-Jewish families. I am especially aware of the potential impact that this could have on our young children going forward, as religious education classes are a big part of a child's life growing up.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. If there are differences in the different neighborhoods within the town, i.e., Manetto Hills vs. Woodbury Hills, those would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 PM

91 posts, read 176,887 times
Plainview is a very Jewish community. I lived there for 10 years and had one of only a handful of homes in a four or five block radius that had Christmas decorations. You will most definitely be in the minority, while no one will outwardly discriminate they will not through there arm out of joint welcoming you. The town has orthodox jews and conservative jews culturally they dominate the town and made a request to a local Lutheran church that they include a menorah with the nativity scene. This is true and occured in 1999 or 2000. Good luck with your search.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM

92 posts, read 432,811 times
My experience is that the Plainview-Old Bethpage district is Jewish. You will be in the minority and you will notice that things in the town and school are swayed by the majority which may not suit your tastes.

When I looked for my first house I wanted a fairly Catholic/Christian town. Christians I know that have moved to heavily Jewish towns normally are not big fans of those towns and end up sending their kids to Catholic schools even if the district has an excellent reputation.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,412 times
I dont know the ethnic make-up of plainview except for a comment a podiatrist made to me on my first visit...which was my last. He said he lived in Plainview and had moved from Plainedge because as he stated "Im sick of living with all those Jews".

Strange and innapropriate comment to be made by a podiatrist. I guess he looked at my last name and where I lived and assumed I wasnt jewish. How did he know I wasnt married to a jew?
Guess that's why they are podiatrist..too stupid to get into medical, dental or vet school.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 PM

840 posts, read 2,444,922 times
i can only imagine what a botanist would have said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I dont know the ethnic make-up of plainview except for a comment a podiatrist made to me on my first visit...which was my last. He said he lived in Plainview and had moved from Plainedge because as he stated "Im sick of living with all those Jews".

Strange and innapropriate comment to be made by a podiatrist. I guess he looked at my last name and where I lived and assumed I wasnt jewish. How did he know I wasnt married to a jew?
Guess that's why they are podiatrist..too stupid to get into medical, dental or vet school.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM
LIR

77 posts, read 295,104 times
When I student taught in a 2nd grade class in Plainview a few years ago, one student came to school all excited because she was selected to be a lector at her First Holy Communion. There was only one other student in the class who was Christian, so we had to explain to the other kids what she was talking about.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 PM

257 posts, read 750,792 times
Yes, it is a very Jewish neighborhood, but I don't thinks it's as dominant as people say. If this is a concern, you may want to try Bethpage or Massapequa. Still close by and a bit more diverse.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM

283 posts, read 581,227 times
Yes I would say it is predominantly Jewish. I didn't realize until we moved here. Everyone is very sweet and welcoming in general, we have had no problems at all. that being said, my kids are not in kindergarten yet. In the back of my mind I do have concern they will feel out of place, not accepted. Hasnt been the case at all so far, We'll see how things go down the line but I love the area and hope we continue to be happy here

If I were you, I would also consider syosset, more of a mix there.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:06 AM

24,093 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromLI View Post
Hi All,

First time posting after reading many of your threads/comments. My family is Catholic, albeit not particularly observant, and we are looking to buy our first home in Plainview. We have fallen in love with the neighborhood generally and in particular with the school district. However, I have heard/read the opinions of many who would label it a heavily or predominantly Jewish area. While this isn't necessarily something that would steer us away from the neighborhood, we also want to make sure that we won't be sort of the "outsiders" as one of the few non-Jewish families. I am especially aware of the potential impact that this could have on our young children going forward, as religious education classes are a big part of a child's life growing up.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. If there are differences in the different neighborhoods within the town, i.e., Manetto Hills vs. Woodbury Hills, those would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Very accurate. My cousin and her husband moved there specifically for that reason. They are Orthodox Jews. This is how they wanted to raise their two sons. They wanted to live in a mostly Jewish community.

I am not judging them for this, but that was their reason. They did not want their sons to date non Jewish girls.
They also did not want a huge Christmas presence.

Their older son went to Hamilton and married a non-Jewish woman - but she did convert.

It is a very Jewish area. The schools are quite good, but it's not a particularly attractive place and if you are not Jewish, Long Island has other communities that are more multi-ethnic and religious, and are more visually appealing.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:07 AM

24,093 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommyq View Post
Yes I would say it is predominantly Jewish. I didn't realize until we moved here. Everyone is very sweet and welcoming in general, we have had no problems at all. that being said, my kids are not in kindergarten yet. In the back of my mind I do have concern they will feel out of place, not accepted. Hasnt been the case at all so far, We'll see how things go down the line but I love the area and hope we continue to be happy here

If I were you, I would also consider syosset, more of a mix there.
Syosset is a better mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island