Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 PM

77 posts, read 164,733 times

Advertisements

We chose a large totally updated house in the Longwood School District over smaller fixer-uppers in upscale surrounding districts. Our kids LOVE their schools and we love our neighborhood and the all the "Longwood Pride" the community has. We decided to buy a house in large district where our children would be exposed to all walks of life and have every opportunity they could take advantage of in sports, theater, AP classes, special ed, Boces programs, ect.
School districts are definitely overrated on Long Island. Our kids have gone to both wealthy, middle and lower middle class districts and you would be so surprised at what goes on in some of the highly recommended districts here on cd.
You should buy a house you can afford in a neighborhood you will feel comfortable in financially and emotionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 01:21 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
If you could live in a brand new 3 br 2 bath custom built colonial with a detached 2 car garage and 100sqft shed in a decent school district. Would you consider selling for an upgrade in schools? Housing in the better district would be a small fixer upper with much higher taxes. Which would you choose?
Better schools as long as I could own my home.

Hands down.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 AM

186 posts, read 713,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan1970 View Post
I didn't have as nice of a house but I had a 4BR, 2.5 bath fully done basement Colonial in Halesite on .19 acres and a hill. We loved it there but the school district (Huntington) left a lot to be desired and we ended up sending my daughter to Catholic School. We moved as she was going into first grade to Harborfields into a slightly smaller house although totally done primarily because even though the taxes are higher the increase is less than 2 Catholic school tuitions.

I would do it if you think you will be there for a long time. We plan on being here probably 20 years and then my kids will be out of college and I will be retired. If you think it may be a 5-7 year deal, then I wouldn't do it.
What don't you like about Huntington schools? I just bought a house in the bay hills area and we're excited to send our kids there.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 AM

325 posts, read 737,216 times
There would be more factors for me than just the type/quality of the house and the the SD, like type of community, commute time, proximity to a good private school, etc.

Back in the 80s my wife and I basically lived this scenario. We moved from a small 3 bed 2.0 bath cape on Lloyd Neck to a beautiful 4 bed 4.1 bath red brick center hall colonial in Cold Spring Hills (moving from CSH SD to South Huntington SD). Definitely a trade-up in house, but a move from "sterling" CSH SD to a "decent" district. We didn't care though, because we had already decided to send our kids to a private school, and the new house was closer. It was also closer to the LIRR, NSP, stores, our golf club, and about the same distance to Huntington Village (where we both wanted to live near). All these factors impacted our decision.

If given the choice between living in 3 bedroom in Hailsite (or another great neighborhood near Huntington Village) or a McMansion in the middle-of-nowhere Dix Hills (the "better" SD), I'd go with the Hailsite house. The surrounding community and "real" town feel is very important to me.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:43 PM

465 posts, read 1,709,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPhishn View Post
What don't you like about Huntington schools? I just bought a house in the bay hills area and we're excited to send our kids there.
Since Abrams closed, aren't the primary schools overcrowded now since Woodhull couldn't hold all the intermediate students, so each primary school has an extra grade level. Thats what I heard from someone with kids in the primary school.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:44 PM

186 posts, read 713,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
There would be more factors for me than just the type/quality of the house and the the SD, like type of community, commute time, proximity to a good private school, etc.

Back in the 80s my wife and I basically lived this scenario. We moved from a small 3 bed 2.0 bath cape on Lloyd Neck to a beautiful 4 bed 4.1 bath red brick center hall colonial in Cold Spring Hills (moving from CSH SD to South Huntington SD). Definitely a trade-up in house, but a move from "sterling" CSH SD to a "decent" district. We didn't care though, because we had already decided to send our kids to a private school, and the new house was closer. It was also closer to the LIRR, NSP, stores, our golf club, and about the same distance to Huntington Village (where we both wanted to live near). All these factors impacted our decision.

If given the choice between living in 3 bedroom in Hailsite (or another great neighborhood near Huntington Village) or a McMansion in the middle-of-nowhere Dix Hills (the "better" SD), I'd go with the Hailsite house. The surrounding community and "real" town feel is very important to me.
Ha, funny scenario... I grew up in a McMansion in Dix Hills and I've moved to Halesite. I LOVE my house in Halesite, over the McMansion. Close to the village, close to the beaches, picturesque landscapes... its a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island