Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Anyone ever stop to think of the reason places like Baldwin and Freeport have beautiful Victorians that are going at a significant discount compared to other communities? The school districts. I would not recommend Baldwin for anyone who has kids.
That is shocking. It is weird though because, you do recommend VS all the time. What can you tell me about the Baldwin schools that makes it so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 12:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
That is shocking. It is weird though because, you do recommend VS all the time. What can you tell me about the Baldwin schools that makes it so bad?
It's not as bad as Freeport, but still not a place I would recommend.

Search for threads about "Baldwin," in particular look for some very informative posts from a former resident, "BigMike50" and read them.

PS: I don't base my recommendations on race, so just because VS is a diverse place like Baldwin is does not mean I will not recommend the community and the schools. Things are not the same in all diverse communities on LI.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:25 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's not as bad as Freeport, but still not a place I would recommend.

Search for threads about "Baldwin," in particular look for some very informative posts from a former resident, "BigMike50" and read them.

PS: I don't base my recommendations on race, so just because VS is a diverse place like Baldwin is does not mean I will not recommend the community and the schools. Things are not the same in all diverse communities on LI.
Is that the same BigMike you speak of so highly all the time? I'm not saying it's a great school or town but, I'll need some more info besides hearsay. The OP wouldn't move to Baldwin anyway, she grew up in Oside and doubt she would downgrade. IMO Baldwin > VS all day.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Is that the same BigMike you speak of so highly all the time? I'm not saying it's a great school or town but, I'll need some more info besides hearsay. The OP wouldn't move to Baldwin anyway, she grew up in Oside and doubt she would downgrade. IMO Baldwin > VS all day.
The one and the same. I took his advice seriously on this subject since he spent many years living there.

Everyone has opinions. You're entitled to yours.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
This is stating the obvious but one thing to consider regarding the ever-popular "walkable downtowns" is that just because you don't live in the same village/hamlet/whatever as the downtown doesn't mean you're not allowed to visit!

In other words, I've lived in an area where I was a resident of the Village in which the walkable downtown was located....and I've lived one town over....and my overall experience with the downtown wasn't any different whether I was a resident or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island