Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:08 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times

Advertisements

The N6 is horrible! It's always overcrowded-- even on weekends (by overcrowded, I mean above standing capacity). I don't take it as much anymore, but that bus needs beefed up service ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
I may be able to help which Lines did you use?
what ever you are doing to make your trip 2 hours long you must be doing something wrong. Tell me what lines you use then I will see what is wrong with your commute and give you accurate advice. I never took 2 hours to go anywhere in nassau by bus. Then again sometimes I use LIRR to bus. It takes 2 hours to get from massepequa to brooklyn by bus I never heard it being that slow you must be doing something wrong here PM me so I can assist you better.
You must not take the bus very often here in Nassau, because a two hour off peak bus ride (with misaligned transfers) is VERY possible here.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 PM

94 posts, read 131,286 times
Some n6, n4 buses are extreme overcrowded during rush hours. Most n4 riders along Merrick Rd must have been flag by various drivers because of all people who got on Jamaica Center.
Sometimes there are no spaces at all. Sometimes little tiny space.

This overcrowd happens on n32 as well.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousNYLover View Post
Some n6, n4 buses are extreme overcrowded during rush hours. Most n4 riders along Merrick Rd must have been flag by various drivers because of all people who got on Jamaica Center.
Sometimes there are no spaces at all. Sometimes little tiny space.

This overcrowd happens on n32 as well.
Agreed, but its not just during rush hour.

I've not rode the n32 or n4 in a while now, but the n6 is always overcrowded/backed up. I've taken that bus on Sunday mornings and the bus fills up to standing room only before you even hit Fulton Avenue. It's such a popular, useful line because it hooks up several bus lines to the F train. With the rising LIRR fares, getting from Nassau to Manhattan for only $2.25 is a steal.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 AM

39 posts, read 123,721 times
N73 + N74 lines between Hicksville and and wantagh has been horrible. Bus in the morning has been late, sometime way too early like 15 min's I see it drive by while a few blocks away from stop which is as good as never coming at all.

The bus home from hicksville was lat almost every day. And at least 1 a week the bus I usually take would not come at all. The excuse they would give was that they "Ran out of buses".

I have been filing complaints via NICE website complaint form and they finally got some managers out there to watch the routes. But when the managers are at the hicksville station they are guess what.. on time of course.

I pulled one of the managers aside and told them exactly what has been going on as I was keeping a record on my phone of all the late, too early, never arrived buses since April.

My advice is the use the NICE website to file a complaint. At least it looks like they are being read and acted upon as service at least for my line has improved since writing them and speaking to the dispatchers.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,151 times
The N6 line is grossly inefficient. In the mornings before 7am all the Express buses are half full, if that yet breeze by busy transfer points or well known crowded stops. Not sure why the N6x even runs before 7am. It's not like the fair is higher either. Then when the regular N6 comes and it's standing room only to to point you just wait for the next bus BUT that next bus is an N6x half full and does not stop. Then in the late afternoon around 4:30pm two or sometimes three N6x would stop to do pickups at 169st on Hillside. Again leaving half full or empty. It's madness these days with this bus company.

To top it off the drivers can't even do anything about it like using their own judgement.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times
I used to say the buses were just plain useless there. They would not stop in any area you really needed to go to or go on routes that were actually convenient. At one point it would go up the street near our home and take a route directly to the mall.

Then they changed something and you had to stand on Sunrise Hwy to pick it up.

It's definitely something discouraged because a lot of people equate buses with "out of the area folks" coming into your neighborhood. I heard this directly from someone who wants to keep "certain types" out of his neighborhood.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM

426 posts, read 959,857 times
Well, I feel that taking buses if you are from LI or live on LI is pretty useless.....if you live on LI a car should be pretty much mandatory.

Its not NYC and there are no subways and the public transportation system on LI is much worse than the city.

If you can drive and have a car, use that because its much easier and more convenient.

Taking 2 hours to go 10 miles or less is just insane and a waste of time.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:53 PM

38 posts, read 76,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Well, I feel that taking buses if you are from LI or live on LI is pretty useless.....if you live on LI a car should be pretty much mandatory.

Its not NYC and there are no subways and the public transportation system on LI is much worse than the city.

If you can drive and have a car, use that because its much easier and more convenient.

Yeah, I'm sure the people taking the buses never figured that out for themselves. Thanks for the advice.

I am quite sure that almost everybody on the bus would far rather be in the comfort of their car. You can assume that if they're on the bus, there's probably a pretty good reason for that.

You might also want to get in touch with reality.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 PM

372 posts, read 740,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post

Strong username to post content ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island