Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:12 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Well, I feel that taking buses if you are from LI or live on LI is pretty useless.....if you live on LI a car should be pretty much mandatory.

Its not NYC and there are no subways and the public transportation system on LI is much worse than the city.

If you can drive and have a car, use that because its much easier and more convenient.

Taking 2 hours to go 10 miles or less is just insane and a waste of time.
Which lines take 2 hours to go 10 miles? From hillside to manhasset you take N25 to 20 from N22 or new in the future Q36 will serve little neck so that can be used to N20 for nmanhasset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1poet View Post
N73 + N74 lines between Hicksville and and wantagh has been horrible. Bus in the morning has been late, sometime way too early like 15 min's I see it drive by while a few blocks away from stop which is as good as never coming at all.

The bus home from hicksville was lat almost every day. And at least 1 a week the bus I usually take would not come at all. The excuse they would give was that they "Ran out of buses".

I have been filing complaints via NICE website complaint form and they finally got some managers out there to watch the routes. But when the managers are at the hicksville station they are guess what.. on time of course.

I pulled one of the managers aside and told them exactly what has been going on as I was keeping a record on my phone of all the late, too early, never arrived buses since April.

My advice is the use the NICE website to file a complaint. At least it looks like they are being read and acted upon as service at least for my line has improved since writing them and speaking to the dispatchers.
You nassau people need to do that ALOT MORE and maybe NICE may make buses useful to nassau residents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
You must not take the bus very often here in Nassau, because a two hour off peak bus ride (with misaligned transfers) is VERY possible here.
Bull I have taken almost every line in the system I took buses from massapequa to brooklyn guess what it took 2 hours if it took you 2 hours in nassau by bus either your destination is not directly served by bus or you took the wrong bus and ended up where you should not be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
Bull I have taken almost every line in the system I took buses from massapequa to brooklyn guess what it took 2 hours if it took you 2 hours in nassau by bus either your destination is not directly served by bus or you took the wrong bus and ended up where you should not be.
To each his own

Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
The N6 line is grossly inefficient. In the mornings before 7am all the Express buses are half full, if that yet breeze by busy transfer points or well known crowded stops. Not sure why the N6x even runs before 7am. It's not like the fair is higher either. Then when the regular N6 comes and it's standing room only to to point you just wait for the next bus BUT that next bus is an N6x half full and does not stop. Then in the late afternoon around 4:30pm two or sometimes three N6x would stop to do pickups at 169st on Hillside. Again leaving half full or empty. It's madness these days with this bus company.

To top it off the drivers can't even do anything about it like using their own judgement.
An update to the madness on inefficiency.

Friday 9/14/2012 afternoon 4:30pm within a 4 minute span FOUR N6x comes to 169 and hillside heading east bound and one N1. First bus picks up half of the long line about 20 people or so and leaves. Second bus comes and stops and only 5 people board. Third bus comes and doesn't even bother the stop as the second bus was still there. Then comes an N1 and right behind it was the fourth N6x. Not sure why so many N6x's in that short of time. Between the 4 of them at most in that time frame the average capacity is less then 25%.

What I am saying (for the people who work at NICE/Viola who should be reading this) is that everyone who took the N6x in that 4 minute time span could have fit on 1 bus.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
An update to the madness on inefficiency.

Friday 9/14/2012 afternoon 4:30pm within a 4 minute span FOUR N6x comes to 169 and hillside heading east bound and one N1. First bus picks up half of the long line about 20 people or so and leaves. Second bus comes and stops and only 5 people board. Third bus comes and doesn't even bother the stop as the second bus was still there. Then comes an N1 and right behind it was the fourth N6x. Not sure why so many N6x's in that short of time. Between the 4 of them at most in that time frame the average capacity is less then 25%.

What I am saying (for the people who work at NICE/Viola who should be reading this) is that everyone who took the N6x in that 4 minute time span could have fit on 1 bus.
That's the problem! Because after those four busses pass, you'll be waiting a LONG time for the next cluster of busses to come

The N6 annoys me, though I must admit that the n6X does run faster than before.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,979 times
I went to Hempstead yesterday, August 13 and the buses both ways had air conditioning, but neither driver went and closed the open windows after telling me the a/c was going out the window or made any effort whatsoever to make an announcement. They sit their as if they are kings. On the return trip to Jamaica the driver saw the open windows but said the a/c would work and being this bus was right out of the terminal, he did nothing. This is sad and it is insolence boring on arrogance and being inconsiderate to his riders, passengers or however they want to term us. g

Old 08-14-2014, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,979 times
I took the#6 bus yesterday, August 13 from Jamaica to Hempstead and return. Both buses had a/c, but going the driver said there are windows open and that's why it's not working. I said can't you do something, but he obviously could care less. It didn't matter to him because for some reason in his area it was cool and you could feel it when he opened the door to take on passengers. On the return I told the bus driver while he was boarding passengers and I said there are windows opened. He said the a/c will work.

This is insolence, boarding on arrogance and totally being uncaring to your passengers' needs. What would it have taken for either of them to get off their butts and do something. they don't seem to get that we, as riders and passengers, pay their very decent salaries with benefits. They could've done something, but they chose to do nothing.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:43 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
yesterday wasn't so warm imo....in theory, if the passengers are suffering from no a/c....wouldn't the BO be suffering too?

Old 08-14-2014, 05:51 PM

483 posts, read 670,568 times
It is just awful. At this rate I'll never be able to ditch my car

Old 08-15-2014, 11:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
I have the opposite problem, bus drivers that turn off the a/c. They'll turn it off but the windows are not open, and the bus gets hot & stuffy. And most of the time the other passengers don't even open the windows (shows the clientele that rides these not so NICE buses).
Then I go around the bus opening the windows and the passengers giving me creepy looks like wanting fresh air is wrong.
Of course then there are the bus that don't have a working a/c, plenty of them. Last Saturday I roasted on the n80 bus because it wasn't working. They don't maintain the buses very well, much worse than MTA for sure. They are definitely less frequent. Then there are the breakdowns & missing buses.
Perhaps thats why in a recent Newsday story they noted ridership was 60,000 passengers a day, when MTA LI Bus was around prior to 2012, it was closer to 100,000 passengers a day.
Basically you can't count of NICE Bus to be reliable. The LIRR is far better, and that says alot. Well, remember that old saying, "you get what you pay for", and Nassau dont want to pay much.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
yesterday wasn't so warm imo....in theory, if the passengers are suffering from no a/c....wouldn't the BO be suffering too?
Maybe the driver is afraid the bus is gonna breakdown or overheat with the a/c. It's commonplace at NICE, esp the older (2003 models) buses, they're always stalling out & overheating. Funny how MTA has much older buses and they run like a top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island