Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post
Last year I have been to the track about 30 times. By the time you pay for an entrance fee ($20-$40), gas ($100), tolls food etc you spend an average of $150-200 per instance. Now, I wanted to go a lot more but with 2 kids and a house on Long Island and the wife a stay at home mom, you have to balance everything carefully.

I am not the only one that finds themselves at Etown or Island testing or Atco 30 times a year. There are a ton of us that go and will fit in a test and tune before Thanksgiving. In the motorsports area the guys are dedicated and will go time and time again, over and over. They made a huge mistake not bringing back a track to Long Island.

I budget myself to spend at least $4000-5000 in racing yearly and a LOT of guys have a MUCH larger budget. I just invested in an enclosed trailer as well. You would not believe how many people are really dedicated to racing their little cars down a quarter mile. The closest tracks are 2 - 4 hours away and we go there, in traffic most of the time to have a few hours of fun. Now imagine if there was a track 30 minutes away from me! We had a discussion the other day, I asked a bunch of my buddies if you would donate $1000.00 to build a track in Long Island. Everyone said yes. Think of how much I spent last year, take my situation and multiply it by a few thousand and that is the revenue Riverhead is losing.

Anthony
LI has incredible beaches, proximity to the greatest city in the world and would be well served and complemented by a world class racing venue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Default Not into racing but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post
Last year I have been to the track about 30 times. By the time you pay for an entrance fee ($20-$40), gas ($100), tolls food etc you spend an average of $150-200 per instance. Now, I wanted to go a lot more but with 2 kids and a house on Long Island and the wife a stay at home mom, you have to balance everything carefully.

I am not the only one that finds themselves at Etown or Island testing or Atco 30 times a year. There are a ton of us that go and will fit in a test and tune before Thanksgiving. In the motorsports area the guys are dedicated and will go time and time again, over and over. They made a huge mistake not bringing back a track to Long Island.

I budget myself to spend at least $4000-5000 in racing yearly and a LOT of guys have a MUCH larger budget. I just invested in an enclosed trailer as well. You would not believe how many people are really dedicated to racing their little cars down a quarter mile. The closest tracks are 2 - 4 hours away and we go there, in traffic most of the time to have a few hours of fun. Now imagine if there was a track 30 minutes away from me! We had a discussion the other day, I asked a bunch of my buddies if you would donate $1000.00 to build a track in Long Island. Everyone said yes. Think of how much I spent last year, take my situation and multiply it by a few thousand and that is the revenue Riverhead is losing.

Anthony
I would gladly donate $1000 if a racing facility would allow some of my fellow LI-ers to alleviate some stress before driving like idiots on public streets :-)

Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
LI has incredible beaches, proximity to the greatest city in the world and would be well served and complemented by a world class racing venue.

Do you remember Bridgehampton, 80,000 plus people would come to events there and have the overlook of the sound, it was a beautiful site to take in, race cars and senery..
then after staring at the beauty of water and beach all day, you got sucked into going to the beach, the town got more revenue...
Politicians now are blind to all the money long island made then when we had 40 race facilities on long island

During non events at Bridgehampton it was a great place for the local racers to go and race at, it would have been a great facility to train young drivers how to drive correctly, not the simple uninformed ability to simply attain a license and put themselves and you in harms way.
This is 1 of the main reasons i am fighting for a motorsports park.
To train kids in school for free, to really learn to drive, and to remove street racing contests by actually meeting with them and talking to them in person of where to go and how it can be fun..

That isn't going to happen with some resort, every kid is going to get a license...Every Son and Daughter, we can make it so no one ever has to go thru that dreaded knock on the door or phone call...a resort will not even get us to make an attempt

Old 02-22-2008, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,680 times
listen the money is one thing. yes it will mean taxes in the surrounding area will be going towards the project. but the idea that the area will become over populated for an attraction such as an indoor ski area is just ridiculous. no one in there right mind would go out and travel to long island for an indoor mountain. there are plenty of mountains outside of new york where people would go during the winter and during the summer how many people want to go leave warm weather to go skiing. no ones gonna pay that much money to take a plane to long island to ski an indoor mountain for a few days. it would be an attraction for the inhabitants of long island to take a drive out to riverhead but do you really think it will get to the point where 1,000s of people will be traveling there to visit this indoor park. its a great way to open skiing and snowboarding to those who love it and to those who want to learn year round. not only would it open a great attraction to those who love to ski but it would create much needed job opportunities on the island. i know plenty of people that would definately make trips to riverhead to go skiing for the day on weekends or whenever a free chance. ski and snowboard lovers would have a new way to learn new tricks and get more practice all year round. i truly think the benefits would eventually outweight the negatives.

Last edited by cptrep; 02-22-2008 at 06:19 AM..

Old 02-22-2008, 07:46 AM

cptrep...

I am not trying to bash you or anything....

Compare the locations of the mountains that work to, pay attention to the locations, then look here and compare, then compare Japans failed mountain and look at the similarities to here.

Then get out and see what is already built in the meadowlands...

The best mountain they have in the world does 300 mil in 365 days of use... it is no way a good generator of revenue as compared to a motorsports facility that can do the same numbers in less then 20 days, with much less impact enviro and traffic, not to mention the history of motorsports vs the history of skiing.....

Do you remember commack....how about bald hill....we need to repeat it again, but this time inside....

You need to pay attention , how do you come up with taxes will go toward a private project... The idea was to get a venue that will make millions and millions with little use to have big entertainment to offset the tax situation we have on long island..a ski resort of some bs sort is not the answer

Old 11-23-2008, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,261 times
I think alot of people will pay a high $ to use it.Its close by.It could be good for the environment cause people will travel there rather then travel to Hunter or Vermont.
They should have the Indoor Ice Skating Rink & an Indoor Pool with it so people who live on the East End don't have to travel far to do these things.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand612000 View Post
I think alot of people will pay a high $ to use it.Its close by.It could be good for the environment cause people will travel there rather then travel to Hunter or Vermont.
They should have the Indoor Ice Skating Rink & an Indoor Pool with it so people who live on the East End don't have to travel far to do these things.

They would have to expand the rail electrify to Calverton/Riverhead, otherwise the area will be crushed with Traffic.

crooks

Old 11-28-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand612000 View Post
I think alot of people will pay a high $ to use it.

Its close by.It could be good for the environment cause people will travel there rather then travel to Hunter or Vermont.

A lot of people will use it....do you remember commack? bald hill?
How about the meadowlands that already has one..

Good for the environment.... So you know that place will use more power then there are refrigerators in use in Suffolk, yeah that's a real green plan... So you also know we use oil to power turbines that generate power..... They should have made it a motorsports park to go along with the history of motorsports here, where all forms were born in the US.

We have pools and skating rinks, fake ski mountains, that can't take place great idea's from the once again proven govt not listening to there constituents..

Old 11-28-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
They would have to expand the rail electrify to Calverton/Riverhead, otherwise the area will be crushed with Traffic.

crooks

5,000 people used to come and go to grumman everyday...

Have people forgotten what went on there everyday....

People make up these traffic stories, but don't seem to remember how many people used to come and go everyday at grumman, at times it was more then 5,000

Old 11-28-2008, 02:16 PM

220 posts, read 1,118,918 times
Here's some more recent info. The original thread seems outdated.

Riverhead Resorts Plan Sparks Debate Over Economic Viability - Riverhead, NY - Hamptons.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island