Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
The problem is that lately the flight path seems to have changed and the planes are lower and directly above our homes near Floral Park/Bellerose/New Hyde Park. This was never the case until recently. Therefore the people in our areas did not chose to live by a flight path.
which is what we've been saying for like 8 months now but it's not getting through to those "BUT IT'S ALWAYS BEEN THERE" slow people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
I hope they claim eminent domain and remove your homes from the flight path....they've done it before, actually i believe twice

Think it won't happen? ? i can find you people that HAVE lost there homes to the powers of JFK and the FAA. . . .
A little inside information, you aren't going to win and you will be wasting your time.....

A planes path can be changed and yes if you live within 50 air miles of an AP you LIVE in it's flight paths and just never paid attention to it...

Hows that for the SLOW PEOPLE. . . .

It will never harm you, keep fighting it and you'll just learn the hard way as others have before you, research the class actions suits brought up and how that money wasted got 0.0 done. . .

You people aren't the 1st to be upset, you aren't losing your homes, no one is dropping luggage out of the planes on you. .do some real research and find out what you're dealing with and then you'll see YOU aren't changing ANYTHING.

But you are wasting peoples time here who have explained this to the SLOW PEOPLE more than 10 times now. . .

Old 05-20-2012, 06:55 AM

44 posts, read 59,768 times
It's been awful since they changed the flight path. Like I have said before, there is no way my husband and I would have moved to are current home if the flight paths were the way they are now....and we just moved here a year and a half ago. We hate it here so much now because of the noise hat we will probably move since the paths will most likely not change....we hate to do it, especially with this economy, but our lack of sleep and
the amount my blood pressure goes up the planes start flying 2000 feet and below directly over our house...ugh is stressing us out way too much. So awful.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:43 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
People saying that homeowners should know what they are getting into when buying a home 'near' an airport are ridiculous.

You can live 3 miles from an airport and not even know it if planes aren't flying overhead. Changing flight paths is so rare that it is the last thing on someone's mind when buying a house where it presently wasn't an issue. I know I would be pissed if all my life I had peace and quiet, and the next day I had 747s flying over my house.

But to say that they had it coming is beyond unfair. That's like saying a quiet residential road you've lived your whole life is converted into a 6 lane highway, but that's ok because it's your fault for buying a house there. How could you have possibly known a highway would be put there? You wouldn't. But by the logic of the supporters in this thread, tough luck.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny200 View Post
It's been awful since they changed the flight path. Like I have said before, there is no way my husband and I would have moved to are current home if the flight paths were the way they are now....and we just moved here a year and a half ago. We hate it here so much now because of the noise hat we will probably move since the paths will most likely not change....we hate to do it, especially with this economy, but our lack of sleep and
the amount my blood pressure goes up the planes start flying 2000 feet and below directly over our house...ugh is stressing us out way too much. So awful.

I grew up within a mile of the AP, 3rd gen in that neighborhood...more like within a 1/2 mile

2000' try less than 100' and none of us had a problem sleeping . . .

You're making more of it then it is.. 2000'

Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
I grew up within a mile of the AP, 3rd gen in that neighborhood...more like within a 1/2 mile

2000' try less than 100' and none of us had a problem sleeping . . .

You're making more of it then it is.. 2000'
Perhaps you're a sound sleeper. Having turbine engines 100' above your house would be enough to smell the fumes. Either your over-exaggerating, or lying to yourself.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Perhaps you're a sound sleeper. Having turbine engines 100' above your house would be enough to smell the fumes. Either your over-exaggerating, or lying to yourself.

If you'd like i'll meet you for coffee, in fact i'll even let you wash my white car then wipe it with a nice white cloth after and after a hour or so of planes going over i'll show you how to take that nice white cloth and wipe the car so you can see the exhaust from the planes, now it takes a bit more than an hour with the new motors, but in the late 80's i couldn't wash the car and then myself and not have it dirty again.

In my neighborhood 100' is high, during july we always moved the approach path 500' to the right or 900' to the left (they'll hit the school if they only move 500' to the left, the school isn't that tall) with bottle rockets, thats how low they are.

Thats how low they have been for more than 65 years, anytime you want to watch you can go without me, just drive to 160th ave in HB, not rockwood park and park on the ave, you want noise and see planes up close. . .
That's a entire neighborhood that sleeps thru planes, you get used to it and never notice them, but whining about planes at 2000' thats just silly.. .

Old 05-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post

We would hear the motors being tested, could even watch the concorde testing it's motors from across the canal, forget about hearing it, and back in the day with the old motors the smell of the diesel fuel was always present..

Old 05-20-2012, 03:33 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
When we moved out of Garden City 2 years ago the planes were becoming a huge problem - to the point I was worried what would happen if we couldn't sell fast and the listing dragged into the summer -it's always noisier in the summer. My DH grew up in the area and my sister had lived there for years so we knew what it was like but it got ridiculous those last few years.

We were up in the spring and at a park in GC and a plane flew over and my mouth just dropped open - I COULD NOT believe how low it was. My FIL, who'd lived in the area almost 50 years, said "can you believe this"?

But you're right - not worth fighting because they are not going to change anything. It is what it is, the airports have all gotten busier and it's a unique situation with 3 airports in such close proximity. It's strange living so much closer to an airport here in NC and I almost NEVER see or hear planes going over my house. But I am wary of an eventual increase in air traffic.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:19 PM

Noise never killed or harmed anyone....

When you hear a plane and it's making noise that's great.... You most definitely don't want a silent plane, if you see a silent plane.....

The planes are much quieter than they were 10 and way quieter than 20 years ago, and cleaner.

Don't want the planes, then drive to other states, i'd rather you get on the planes simply because none of you can drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island