Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

Where can one live that's not within 150 miles of an airport and still be close enough to employment to still make a living. Cripes, even if you took out LGA, JFK, EWR, MAC, and Stewart in Newburgh....Albany International, Philly, and probably Bradley fall within 150 miles. Stop being idiotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
quality of life, really, then you do not move within 150 air miles of any airport if you have reservations about noise...

quality of life starts with 1st engaging your brain and making smart decisions, living within 150 air miles of a airport wasn't a good quality of life choice for your quality of life that involves a harmless noise.

Lol how was the meeting, did they promise to move the runways angle 30 degrees so the planes are on a different approach. . .lmao
150 MILES?!? You are out of your mind.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 PM

577 posts, read 979,308 times
RE:
Lol how was the meeting, did they promise to move the runways angle 30 degrees so the planes are on a different approach. . .lmao

The meeting was very productive. Representatives McCarthy & Isreal, Senators Schumer & Gillibrand, NYS Senator Skelos and numerous State Assembly & local elected officials eith attended or sent reps . The Port Authority was on the defensive. People really knew the facts and asked some very pointed questions. Will the planes stop in 24 hrs? No but we're definitely on a path to some improvement. Thanks for your help

Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 AM

44 posts, read 59,790 times
I understand that the noise isn't going to stop all together, but it really has to lighten up. It's unbearable right now....and for them to say that they are rotating runways every eight hours cannot be entirely accurate. The flights directly over our house have been pretty constant since last Thursday with only a few hours break on occasion. We had about a 3 hour break last night and then at 10PM, the flights started nonstop and are still going on now. I had to get up at 4AM for work this morning and they were flying SO low all night I was almost in tears because it was impossible to sleep...and it was literally every five-ten minutes at some point. This is with earplugs and a huge box fan next to our bed. It's awful!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny200 View Post
It's been awful since they changed the flight path. Like I have said before, there is no way my husband and I would have moved to are current home if the flight paths were the way they are now....and we just moved here a year and a half ago. We hate it here so much now because of the noise hat we will probably move since the paths will most likely not change....we hate to do it, especially with this economy, but our lack of sleep and
the amount my blood pressure goes up the planes start flying 2000 feet and below directly over our house...ugh is stressing us out way too much. So awful.
The entire houses rattle--it's ridiculous! They need to change the flight path back to the way it was. At least THOSE people chose to live in the path. We did NOT.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,269 times
I am having a hard time understanding where the flight pattern has changed. I grew up in IP directly in JFK's flight pattern. I used to see the planes lower their landing gear directly overhead. Actually 2 bodies have landed in Barnum Isle. I have a hard time believing these stories about houses shaking and not being able to sleep (unless you have a medical condition).

Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM

77 posts, read 111,194 times
Wow, I thought I was the only one who was having this problem! I've been living in New Hyde Park since 2002 and I've never had these planes fly this low and so consistently since about 2010-ish.

Can anyone explain to me why they decided to change the navigational routes for the planes? They were completely fine before they began flying in so damn low......

Anyone at all know the reason?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,731 times
Lol because your making it a issue and the pilots are reading this and choose to ruin your lives and QOL lmao....

Noise and shaking houses, there is no way that is happening in new hyde park.....

Probably everyone of you is beyond 10 miles and not nearly as bad as you want to cry wolf about...

Take a look at the runways, they never changed, been laid out and done since 1944 or something before it was new york inter and before it was jfk. . . . way back when it was idlewild and my family had no airport and idlewild wasn't even a thought yet, then that marsh became a filled in area and butted up to where people and my great grandparents and grandparents had homes and lived for years, then had their houses taken from them because of the airport....

That's a QOL issue, something none of you have any clue about.

Keep wasting your life attending dog and pony shows and wasting money thinking they'll do anything, and when they need to expand the airport again, they'll just move right over you....

Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
150 MILES?!? You are out of your mind.

You want quiet, well thats the perimeter, you don't want quiet then don't complain when you get some noise

Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Speaking of making smart decisions, you and your wife are still not off the island because of your precious business. The economy rolls in cycles. Shouldn't you have expected it and got out before? But it's not that bad, you still have a roof over your head.

Find anyone that knows me well and they'll tell you i was telling them the economy is going to drop way back in 04/05 while all you people had no clue, and it's gonna get worse yet just watch...

Im here still mostly because my wife didn't want to face the truth, she needed to wait and see it happen 1st..
Now her eyes are open...

The other problem is moving 30,000 lbs of equipment plus multiple cars and trucks, trailers is just not a weekend move and then still having to move the family and burn the house because selling it just won't happen and having overstayed depleted that plan to get thru the real dead spots...

Not that other states are really in a economic boom, but who wants to work to just survive in a land of nothing and having govt tell you what you cant do or have..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island