Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 PM

18 posts, read 72,961 times

Advertisements

If given the choice, which town would you prefer? I am not too familiar with either and would like some feedback from people who live there! Especially opinions on school districts ! Thank you !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM

92 posts, read 432,877 times
I grew up in South Eastern Levittown on the border of both. I prefered Wantagh. I always felt Wantagh south of the Southern State was nice. Good schools. Close to beach and LIRR. Close to Southern State Parkway and Wantagh State Parkway so you can get places quickly. Wantagh park and even Seamen's Neck are nice parks.

Wantagh north of the Southern State is Levittown schools. Macarthur has gotten a much higher ranking then when I was there. My parents pulled me for Catholic School. I still would aim for south of the SS parkway because the houses are bigger. North many times are levits or splits.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:25 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenschic View Post
If given the choice, which town would you prefer? I am not too familiar with either and would like some feedback from people who live there! Especially opinions on school districts ! Thank you !!
I could be wrong, but I thought there is no town called Plainedge, just a school district.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:22 AM

18 posts, read 72,961 times
Sorry, the home is located in North Massapequa within the Plainedge school district.

Long Island is VERY confusing !

Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,290 times
Hard to tell the difference. Wantagh probably a little nicer and better shopping on Wantagh Ave (Iavarrone Bros, etc). Then again, you can always drive the 4 minutes from N. Mass. to Wantagh so I'd say whichever is better house and tax-wise. Both excellent school districts.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Plainedge is a hamlet as one poster had indicated in the past.

I grew up in North Massapequa, south of the SSP, and attended Plainedge. I can aver that I was solidly prepared for post secondary studies. Several of my HS classmates are now involved with the district either as employees or as active parents in PTA and such. It has always been a very close knit area with multiple generations of families remaining in the area, or their children returning after having married.

It is a small school district comprised of students from Seaford, Plainedge, Farmingdale, Bethpage, and N. Mass. There is not a lot of commercial property within the district which causes homeowners to pay more in taxes than neighboring districts with a larger commercial tax base. You might want to take that into consideration. Budget cuts have meant one of my friends is losing her job with the district. (Last on, first gone.)

Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan1970 View Post
Wantagh north of the Southern State is Levittown schools.
As far as I can tell, the only areas with a "Wantagh, NY 11793" mailing address that are in the Levittown Union Free School District are in North Wantagh and Levittown.

A map of the Hamlet of North Wantagh in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:

North Wantagh is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the community name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of North Wantagh have a "Wantagh, NY 11793" and “Seaford, NY 11783” mailing address.

A map of the Hamlet of Levittown in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:

Places that have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Levittown are in the Hamlet Plainedge and the Hamlet of Salisbury; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Levittown that have a "Bethpage, NY 11714", "Wantagh, NY 11793" and "Seaford, NY 11783" mailing address.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 05-15-2012 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 10:12 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought there is no town called Plainedge, just a school district.
The geography of the Hamlet of Plainedge is very confusing because Plainedge is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address.

A map of the Hamlet of Plainedge in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County:

Places in the Hamlet of Plainedge have a "Massapequa, NY 11758", "Levittown, NY 11756", "Bethpage, NY 11714", "Seaford, NY 11783" and "Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 05-15-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 PM

91 posts, read 201,030 times
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post a reply here and try to revive this topic. I'm specifically looking for feedback on Plainedge. There is not too much info on these boards and while the neighbors I spoke to were very nice, I'd like to gather as much info as I can on the schools, atmosphere, safety, etc.

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,542 times
Wantagh north of Jerusalem goes to Levittown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island