Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:38 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It would be 1/2 day K if the 2.99% levy increase were to be offered up in June and passed. The BoE can resubmit the original budget which was shot down yesterday -- that would mean no K if it were to fail again.

Plenty of 3V moms freaking out on their facebook group page.

How I wish Gpsma were a part of it. He could really get some raucous rancor going. The Stony Brook and Setauket Stepford wives with their standing mani-pedis and Escalades would lose their minds! Heaven forbid there wasn't somewhere to ship Trey and Tatiana off to after school other than home. It would really screw with their shopping and nail appointments.
Spot on, I weep for my working class 3V roots.
So very different now. It was more Mikey and Lisa in my day and Mom was always home.

Give em hell OBH

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
I agree with Pequa...You are all out of your noggins and falling for the kool aid.

Take a look at those cuts...every single one of them effect the kids!! Every one. If I was in that district I would be rallying the troops and protesting the board and the teachers/administrators.

The money sucking leaches got to be stopped with their out of control spending and outrageous pensions/retirement packages.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:
The Stony Brook and Setauket Stepford wives with their standing mani-pedis and Escalades would lose their minds! Heaven forbid there wasn't somewhere to ship Trey and Tatiana off to after school other than home. It would really screw with their shopping and nail appointments.
Lmao! Great post! How true.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
All bad cuts, IMHO. I can see why people vote no to a large increase like this, but why is it always the students who take the brunt of the pain? I'm a believer in having good extracurricular options for kids. It keeps them well-rounded, keeps them off heroin, from vandalizing your neighborhood and breaking into cars and homes, potential for scholarships, etc. These cuts hurt the district.

BTW- I saw the post about the anon repper, it wasn't me, I swear. But I agree with them.
The problem being the levy increase wasn't huge -- 'average home' increase approx $450 a year.

Extracurricular sports should be cut before curricular programs. Full day K and the reading work done there benefits the entire class as opposed to the select few participating in sports.

There are plenty of sports, dance, art, and theater classes run outside of school which a parent can pay for to keep Calliope and Constantine off the streets if mother and father fear their little angels might run astray without the benefit of an organized sport or activity. They can remain well-rounded in martial arts, boating classes, music lessons, knitting or ballet classes. Some of those activities do offer the potential for scholarship.

Times are tight. We have to pare down spending. 3V protects it's vaunted athletes at the expense of the artistic students. They've given their pound of greasepaint; it's time to hand over the ball.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I agree with Pequa...You are all out of your noggins and falling for the kool aid.

Take a look at those cuts...every single one of them effect the kids!! Every one. If I was in that district I would be rallying the troops and protesting the board and the teachers/administrators.

The money sucking leaches got to be stopped with their out of control spending and outrageous pensions/retirement packages.

It is a terrible predicament. We need concessions from the unions, a fiscally responsible board, and residents who will agree to an levy increase which will not gut programs.

Everyone is going to have to hurt a little instead of one segment hurting a lot.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:07 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:
Times are tight. We have to pare down spending. 3V protects it's vaunted athletes at the expense of the artistic students. They've given their pound of greasepaint; it's time to hand over the ball.
I have to disagree a bit with this. Have you seen Murphy's shows lately? They truly are wonderful!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Spot on, I weep for my working class 3V roots.
So very different now. It was more Mikey and Lisa in my day and Mom was always home.

Give em hell OBH

Crooks
I'll try

In all fairness, the transplants to the area want everything, are demanding even more and then ***** and moan that they're paying $20K in taxes to live in a gated community and be Dee Snider's neighbor.

The house rich/cash poor retirees who've been here since their homes were built in the late 60's or who came to the area in the early 1970's are being taxed out of here. There are currently 268 homes for sale in the 3V on the mlsli -- over 200 of them have taxes above $11K. 7 don't have taxes listed but are new builds -- we know those won't be cheap. Three of my friends (whose families date back to SB in the 1700's) have been forced out of the area by the taxes.

One of the final straws for me occurred a few weeks ago. The PTA president at PJG was up for re-election. She is a decent, hard-working person who is not flashy, not brash and who pours her heart into everything she does. At the election meeting, a group of Minnesauke mothers tossed protocol out and side-swiped her trying to ram in their nominee, claiming that the Setauket mothers control everything. (Excuse me ladies -- you need to step up and volunteer if you want some control. Sitting on your arse while Momo polishes your nails won't cut it.) It was a scene straight out of High School. I was ashamed and embarrassed for these 'women'.

Yes, I am mad. Yes, I support the budget and want to maintain programs but I'll be damned if I am to kowtow to the demands of a bunch of spoiled, nouveau sorta riche hausfraus who bought a McMansion in the 3V to show their friends in Brooklyn and Queens they've made it, and who feel entitled to whatever they demand despite the cost to the middle class taxpayer who is feeling the pinch.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I have to disagree a bit with this. Have you seen Murphy's shows lately? They truly are wonderful!
I used greasepaint as a blanket term for all the arts, not specifically theater. Both Murphy and Gelinas shows are fantastic. Did you happen to catch 'The King and I' in March? I heard that "Little Shop of Horrors' was excellent -- sorry I missed that one.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 PM

57,265 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
It is a terrible predicament. We need concessions from the unions, a fiscally responsible board, and residents who will agree to an levy increase which will not gut programs.

Everyone is going to have to hurt a little instead of one segment hurting a lot.
If it's not too late hopefully you have some new board members that will address the new teachers contract, this should have opened their eyes if nothing else. Districts, school boards need to pay close attention. Compared to the increases for instruction, the sports programs are pocket change.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,701,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I'm uninformed because I vote no? That's incorrect, I'm very informed, which leads to the no. Keep believing the BS they are feeding you. I have a bridge for sale, you interested?
You stated you vote no all the time regardless of what they are proposing. Thats voting NO on principle. If you tell me you read all the budget documents and go to meetings every year and you vote no based on the information you are reading then fine.

But my gut tells me you are voting no based on because you want to say no.
You are probably one of those people who would vote no at a 0% increase, which my SD had in previous years.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island