Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:01 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

Then Garden City isn't Hempstead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The biggest problem in the boroughs (mostly Brooklyn) is insurance fraud. As soon as insurance companies beat one scam, another one rears its ugly head. Theft is rampant there though - only worse place is probably Newark.

My dad grew up in Manhattan and could probably have written your post # 12.

I agree the insurance fraud in the NYC boroughs is rampant. NY State governor Cuomo just passed a bill which hopefully should keep those Russian mobsters from staging fake auto accidents to collect on non-existent no-fault benefits:

Press Release - March 8, 2012: Governor Cuomo Announces New Statewide Initiative To Rid The State's No-Fault Insurance System Of Deceptive Doctors And Shut Down Medical Mills

Great news for the tax payers as it may result in lower auto ins premiums - maybe not so great for lawyers like me who were defending all these [fake] suits based on fraudulent insurance claims for the past 10 years - I may completely out of a job in a few years...

Old 05-16-2012, 03:13 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Please remember not to discuss other members which is against the ToS.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I have worked all my life in NYC and have lived in it for 2/3rds of my life. There is nothing in comparison to the misery that NYC can dump on its citizens and the myopic vision of many is, in the words of the late Mayor Vlet Lindsey,..its FUN CITY.

There is nothing fun about this city. The daily grind of a commute can be as long as those on the LIRR. Parking your car..even in the best neighborhoods can be a nightmare...and you're lucky if no one vandalizes it or you find it in the morning. Dealing with the "diversity" is like defecating in a common port-o-potty. The cost of rent, housing, insurance on cars and property is ridiculous for the couple of square inches that you call your home.

Yes..there are good things about NY...one of the best is that they let you leave.
Funny, you outline some of the exact same complain people have about LI. The wise-guy replies are always along the lines of "if you can't afford it..." which don't apply in your case since you don't live there, but for those who do make 100s of thousands to millions of dollars, I'm sure they very much enjoy the city, or any city.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:03 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Quote:
well...

Do what I have done as a transplant from NY City. Go over to the NYC CD forum and read their topics....

just a little preview of some of the topics...

-A "safe" neighborhood map is constantly stickied
-A topic on how to deal with roaches and rodents
-Various topics on how to deal with apartment issues..getting one, who paints it, how much to park a car. (Which is interesting to see some people pay as much as we do for school taxes for garage rent)
-where to get affordable window gates. IE..to keep the burglars out
-a discussion on the bedbug problem in NY
-a discussion on the crack epidemic
-and my fav...how to become a doorman. Guess thats a great job in the land of Bloomy.

So when you complain that your taxes are too high...and the school district isnt rated the highest...and that Rocky Point is not respected....

you can always move to wonderful NYC.

LMAO love it. So true...NYC has become the sewer of the nation

Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
I think NYC is a wonderful city...if you are rich.

For the 99% who have to live with over-crowded trains, noisy streets and 2 am ambulance sirens, tiny parking spaces, and difficulty in making that tiny paycheck stretch enough to cover your expenses each month, then it sucks.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
well...
Do what I have done as a transplant from NY City. Go over to the NYC CD forum and read their topics....

just a little preview of some of the topics...

-A "safe" neighborhood map is constantly stickied
-a discussion on the crack epidemic
Well, for the safety maps, all you have to do is avoid the red areas (Act like they're lava. ) Well, a lot of them are alright in the day when people are out and about, but not at night. Aside from that, there are some crummy parts of LI (the difference is that most of the "hoods" would be yellow with only a couple of red and orange spots.)

I mean this looks like a lovely area, doesn't it? And this looks almost as great.

And the crack epidemic was back in the 80s. That isn't an issue today.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
Quote:
-and my fav...how to become a doorman. Guess thats a great job in the land of Bloomy.

On the holidays alone they make more than you can imagine, plus they have a union and benefits, and make some good connections.

My friend is a doorman, christmas alone he never does less than 15,000 in christmas cards, forget all the rest of the holidays and his birthday too, i often wonder if the people think he opens the door on his spare time.

All for opening the door and saying good morning mr/mrs ______ and good evening

Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 PM

66 posts, read 151,250 times
Areas start getting bad without community involvement such as good police, schooling and parenting.
As well as other factors such as unemployment. Most areas simply look grungy but some areas such as
Hempstead, Wyandanch, Huntington Station, and South Port Jeff, have a lot of sketchy people loitering; which
makes the area appear unsatisfactory. An example of a grungy area might be Ronkonkoma.

The basic idea is that a lot of low income areas in NYC are now becoming loaded by hipsters and these people
are displaced to the suburbs, which for NY is LI.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:19 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney8 View Post
Areas start getting bad without community involvement such as good police, schooling and parenting.

No one on this island has involvement in anything EXCEPT slowing up everyone else to stop and look at accidents and police cars with there pretty, mesmerizing flashing lights, that is the only involvement that L.I'ers have slow down and look and make more traffic. . .

When no one does anything about illegals and your elected officials make your town a sanctuary for them its all over, guess what you didn't stop from happening already. . . .

I'd rather be in the city as per safety then here, someone trying to kill you, call 911 and no one comes looking right away, but a jogger finds your dead body, call 911 in the boros and tell them someones trying to mug you, and they'll be more cops there quicker than you can give your money to the thief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island