Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:37 AM

40 posts, read 249,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You'll need hot and cold feeds for a bathroom sink, tub or shower, as well as a cold feed to the toilet. You'll be looking at a couple of new lines for those feeds. You'll need waste lines for the sink, toilet and shower. If you have OHW, you'll need baseboard routed.

Depending upon where your walls wind up (according to the architect's plans) it might be more involved if anything has to be relocated.

If you're going to do a new master bath, consider using radiant heat. It's well worth it but will add to the expense.
Thanks for the advice. Question: there's a full bathroom right behind the kitchen which I plan on converting to the Master bath. Would that be easier or less costly for the contractor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenQ View Post
Thanks for the advice. Question: there's a full bathroom right behind the kitchen which I plan on converting to the Master bath. Would that be easier or less costly for the contractor?
Would you be using the existing bathroom's current footprint, or will you be moving fixtures around? Adding fixtures? (jetted tub, all sorts of fancy shower sprays and such?)

The existing bathroom will wind up being a complete gut down to studs given the project you're doing -- easier access for the plumber to do his work -- but part of the problem here is the unknown -- what will you find when you open the walls -- age of pipes, any leaks, etc.

This is my suggestion:

1) learn your zoning and setbacks, get the Town's building app package
2) ask around and find an architect whose work you like
3) get your preliminary drawings
4) ask around and find contractors who your friends, family, neighbors have had good experiences with
5) get some rough quotes based on the preliminary drawings

Have two lists:
1) a wish list of all the amenities you would love to include
2) a reality list of the amenities you must have

Once you get your rough estimates, you can tweak your preliminary drawings based on your lists if the estimates are too high or lower than anticipated.

Once you've established all that and you're happy with the preliminary, have the architect draw up your plans.

Apply for permit.

Secure contractor.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Would you be using the existing bathroom's current footprint, or will you be moving fixtures around? Adding fixtures? (jetted tub, all sorts of fancy shower sprays and such?)

The existing bathroom will wind up being a complete gut down to studs given the project you're doing -- easier access for the plumber to do his work -- but part of the problem here is the unknown -- what will you find when you open the walls -- age of pipes, any leaks, etc.

This is my suggestion:

1) learn your zoning and setbacks, get the Town's building app package
2) ask around and find an architect whose work you like
3) get your preliminary drawings
4) ask around and find contractors who your friends, family, neighbors have had good experiences with
5) get some rough quotes based on the preliminary drawings

Have two lists:
1) a wish list of all the amenities you would love to include
2) a reality list of the amenities you must have

Once you get your rough estimates, you can tweak your preliminary drawings based on your lists if the estimates are too high or lower than anticipated.

Once you've established all that and you're happy with the preliminary, have the architect draw up your plans.

Apply for permit.

Secure contractor.
Wow, sounds like a lot of work. Think we'll just leave the house as is
I wish we could, but we have to move forward with this project. Thanks for your advice OBH, will definitely incorporate in our plans.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Wow, sounds like a lot of work. Think we'll just leave the house as is
I wish we could, but we have to move forward with this project. Thanks for your advice OBH, will definitely incorporate in our plans.

It sounds worse than it is.

Best of luck!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Wow, that seems like an awful lot; thanks for the etimate though. Would you be able to share the work you had done and roughly how much it cost?
You'll get numbers all over the place with people not seeing what you're talking about. Contractors can actually go and see what needs to be removed/replaced/added and they will tell you how much. We got 5 solid estimates for our 2nd floor and they were within 25k of each other. Start calling the professionals - I used a company out of Bohemia not too far from you (far from us but they were good and did a lot of work in our area which is how we discovered them). PM me if you want their info and a reference. As a tip, find out if they use their own architects which may be cheaper for you because that will be a few grand minimum if you get someone outside. The architect & contractor should be able to tell you the town fees. We had so many I lost count... I want to say maybe $3k in town fees for our 2nd floor dormer but it's spread over a period of time. It's not a big chunk of what you're about to spend overall, that much I know.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:07 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Quote:
Wow, that seems like an awful lot; thanks for the etimate though. Would you be able to share the work you had done and roughly how much it cost?
Ok. About five years ago, we put on a ground level extension of a new master suite, 20X20 bedroom, 7X7 closet, and a 10X10 bathroom, so some plumbing inside and out needed to be done. Also, french doors lead to a small screened porch and small patio we added at the same time. The total was $87K soup to nuts. Keep in mind there's usually a few unexpected things that come up that add to the price in one way or another. It's always expensive, and we won't get it all back when we sell, but you need to live your way. OBH also knows her stuff on this, and I don't know if she threw out a ballpark figure for you.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Ok. About five years ago, we put on a ground level extension of a new master suite, 20X20 bedroom, 7X7 closet, and a 10X10 bathroom, so some plumbing inside and out needed to be done. Also, french doors lead to a small screened porch and small patio we added at the same time. The total was $87K soup to nuts. Keep in mind there's usually a few unexpected things that come up that add to the price in one way or another. It's always expensive, and we won't get it all back when we sell, but you need to live your way. OBH also knows her stuff on this, and I don't know if she threw out a ballpark figure for you.

Thanks for the information Gag. I'm assuming you had this work done in LI and not in Chicago. If you don't mind, can you please DM me the contractor you used. The amount you quoted for the work you had done seems very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island