Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:28 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
. I have family members who work in private sector and they get two hour lunch breaks and get to go to fancy restaurants with clients. I don't know any doctor, pharmacists, cop, teacher, firefighter who gets that. .
No, they're just parking the patrol car in their girlfriend's driveway all night.

Your doctor friends should move to N.C. - every single doctor and dentist down here closes 1 hour for lunch - no phone calls answered even, and many of them don't work on Fridays.

Everyone has a choice where they live.

Everyone has a choice what they do for a living - isn't that the tired old saw trotted out by the civil servants? They are free to make a better career choice as well.

Teaching, again, is a part time job. A good week off at Christmas, Easter and in the middle of February, along with the entire summer. I'm not crying for the select few who aren't close to $100K yet.

By the way the private sector pays what the market will bear. Taxpayers can't bear too much more. Do civil servants really want to go the route of being paid what can be borne by the taxpayers?

PS I'm getting ready to look for a job in the fall....please tell me where I can apply that I can get these 2-hour lunches of which you speak.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:42 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I agree with you. I am in a very well-paying public school district on LI. I am in my 9th year of teaching an I am a few years away from $100,000 (with a Master's Degree). I am probably even further now that we voted on a pay freeze to alleviate tax payers. My husband who started in business at $30,00 has already passed me and I started at $55,000. A few teachers (who have been teaching 20+ years) make really good money, but the public would have you believe all teachers are rich and that is very far from the truth.
If you factor in your time off and pension, you are probably doing better than your husband in terms of true compensation. Knowing what I know about a 401K vs teaching pension and your amount of time off, your husband would have to be making about 50K a year more than you for him to have "passed" you.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
I have family members who work in private sector and they get two hour lunch breaks and get to go to fancy restaurants with clients. I don't know any doctor, pharmacists, cop, teacher, firefighter who gets that.
But Ed Mangano and his friends do!

(Sorry. Open door. Had to walk through it. )

Quote:
Of course the average salary is $46,000 for teachers everyone knows that. It's just funny how upset everyone here gets over false information. I posted that purposly to see your ridiculous reactions. People get so angry in life over these property taxes and need to chill out. I also know people who are teachers. Most public school teachers here start at about $60,000. It's not until after 10 years they MAYBE start making $100k depending on the school district. So get your facts straight, not all teachers make six figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
This is very true. My wife started out at 56k a year in her district. It would have taken YEARS for her to reach a six figure salary. Most of her friends are teachers on LI as well, none of them make anywhere near 100k+. Some posters make it seem like if you land one of these teaching jobs you instantly make 130k or more a year for 20 years + until retirement. Its simply not true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I agree with you. I am in a very well-paying public school district on LI. I am in my 9th year of teaching an I am a few years away from $100,000 (with a Master's Degree). I am probably even further now that we voted on a pay freeze to alleviate tax payers. My husband who started in business at $30,00 has already passed me and I started at $55,000. A few teachers (who have been teaching 20+ years) make really good money, but the public would have you believe all teachers are rich and that is very far from the truth.
My niece was a teacher here before moving away. Her experience bears out what you all have said.

As for the part I bolded, I've come to view it as a form of drama and excitement for the bored and unfulfilled. [url=http://******************][img]http://******************/angry-smiley-1497.gif[/img][/url] [url=http://******************][img]http://******************/not-tagged-smiley-10489.gif[/img][/url]

But it makes good entertainment.

Last edited by Yzette; 05-25-2012 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 3,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If you factor in your time off and pension, you are probably doing better than your husband in terms of true compensation. Knowing what I know about a 401K vs teaching pension and your amount of time off, your husband would have to be making about 50K a year more than you for him to have "passed" you.
Hey! Get out of here with your facts!! This is no place for facts, it's about the kids! And about your safety!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM

305 posts, read 610,964 times
[quote=JCNNY;24458052]And the requirements to become a private business sector worker are even more laughable than a teacher or cop. All business major did was party in college while the science majors had to study hard and education majors had to student teacher. I have family members who work in private sector and they get two hour lunch breaks and get to go to fancy restaurants with clients. I don't know any doctor, pharmacists, cop, teacher, firefighter who gets that. So no, private sector should not be paid as much as any teacher or cop.

If you seriously believe this then your dilusional

Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
<sarcasm> Let's just rid of the whole public service altogether.

Who needs cops, city workers, or teachers... that'll work out okay.

</sarcasm>

Old 05-25-2012, 01:12 PM

111 posts, read 223,199 times
I never cease to be amazed at the ire directed at the "high salaries" (which, as this thread has shown, is a matter of opinion and certainly subject to debate) of public servants when there are far more obvious targets who seem to escape this kind of judgment.

Reminds me of a telling little tidbit I heard once that I believe I am recalling correctly...

A banker, a public servant, and an average joe member of the middle class sit down to a plate of ten cookies. The banker takes nine of the cookies for himself, turns to the average joe, and says, "You're not going to let him take your cookie, are you?"

The rich, connected, and powerful certainly have succeeded in redirecting the attention and anger of the lower classes so that they fight one another instead of the real culprits. Note how many people who vote Republican are actually voting against their own economic interests because they've been distracted by the "apocalyptic" social/religious issue du jour...

Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post
I never cease to be amazed at the ire directed at the "high salaries" (which, as this thread has shown, is a matter of opinion and certainly subject to debate) of public servants when there are far more obvious targets who seem to escape this kind of judgment.

Reminds me of a telling little tidbit I heard once that I believe I am recalling correctly...

A banker, a public servant, and an average joe member of the middle class sit down to a plate of ten cookies. The banker takes nine of the cookies for himself, turns to the average joe, and says, "You're not going to let him take your cookie, are you?"

The rich, connected, and powerful certainly have succeeded in redirecting the attention and anger of the lower classes so that they fight one another instead of the real culprits. Note how many people who vote Republican are actually voting against their own economic interests because they've been distracted by the "apocalyptic" social/religious issue du jour...
The average Nassau County cop earned over $150,000 in 2011 after overtime. Don't you think that's a bit excessive, especially when they get a free pension that averages 6 figures when they retire and free health insurance for life?

A little known fact about the NCPD - they get about as much paid time off per year as the teachers do.

6 weeks of vacation
28 sick days
12 paid holidays
3 personal days

I believe there are other paid days off as well, but leaving those out we have almost 15 weeks of paid time off per year for the NCPD. Any wonder why taxes are so high?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post

You're attempting to deflect a very legitimate and serious issue. The Democratic Party in New York state does not protect "the working man" any more than the Republican Party. They protect civil service unions and the Repubs protect big business. The average taxpayer who falls outside either category is basically tricked into voting for either side, and is left paying the bill.

The public service unions are not Social democrats looking to raise the tide for all people. They are interested in their own pockets and little else. Witness the NCPD ads a year so back trying to deflect blame about taxes towards teachers. They pulled them pretty quick but apparently the marble mouths at the PBA never heard the proverb about glass houses.

Anytime I hear police unions talking about "the regular Joe" I have to laugh. You wannabe leftists need to get your rhetoric down. The cops are the strong arm of "the man" that is used to keep us down, MAN!!

Try to sell me again on how free pensions and healthcare in addition to higher salaries are good fro me because they take money away from "the man"? It's pretty naive and childish to buy that kind of nonsense. It's especially hard to tell people with 1960's high ranches that their 11K in property taxes and 8.7% sales tax, in addition to high state income tax..is keeping "the man" at bay, as opposed to just making someone elses life a lot easier than theirs because they work for the state.

By the way, don't you love that I don't have to take care of myself through 401K because my wife's pension is guaranteed? We will move to Texas when she retires, and take the pension tax free while the whole state collapses under the weight of keeping people like us from having to work.

Power to the people, keep that pension intact!!

By the way, the crooks on Wall St. behind the whole mortgage crisis should be in jail instead of soaking it up in the South of France. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
By the way, the crooks on Wall St. behind the whole mortgage crisis should be in jail instead of soaking it up in the South of France. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
Amen to that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island