Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:26 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,460,838 times

Advertisements

Average rate of inflation: 3%

Average rate of raises for teachers: 6-8%.

Pretty much sums up the problem right there. In a recession? 0% inflation? Houses losing value? 18-30 crowd leaving as fast as they can? Yep, still get a 6-8% raise.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,755,886 times
Why do we pay such high taxes, but yet our schools are failing our kids. I am moving out of state and absolutely stunned at the high level of education in the new state we are going to. But yet the taxes are half what I pay now? The teachers get paid nowhere near what they get paid in NY. And administration ; there is just one secretary ; thats it!! Population of the middle school is about 1200 kids. No security guards needed.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,959,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Why do we pay such high taxes, but yet our schools are failing our kids. I am moving out of state and absolutely stunned at the high level of education in the new state we are going to. But yet the taxes are half what I pay now? The teachers get paid nowhere near what they get paid in NY. And administration ; there is just one secretary ; thats it!! Population of the middle school is about 1200 kids. No security guards needed.
If I had a penny for everytime I heard this phrase used by talking head on TV and on talk radio...

How are long Island Schools "failing", exactly? Apart from the ones at the very botom of the heap? How exactly do you quantify this "high level of education" in another state compared to Long Island, if you don't mind me asking?

I mean, saying things like this you should normally be required to provide some sort of evidence. Of course, this is CD LI forum, so what your neighbor says across the fence about how great Bellport SD is carries more weight than the NYS report cards, but I digress.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:37 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,540,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If I had a penny for everytime I heard this phrase used by talking head on TV and on talk radio...

How are long Island Schools "failing", exactly? Apart from the ones at the very botom of the heap? How exactly do you quantify this "high level of education" in another state compared to Long Island, if you don't mind me asking?

I mean, saying things like this you should normally be required to provide some sort of evidence. Of course, this is CD LI forum, so what your neighbor says across the fence about how great Bellport SD is carries more weight than the NYS report cards, but I digress.

I'm not sure if Dorothy meant only LI schools are failing our kids. Maybe she did, not sure. I think your wife, as a teacher, would agree that there is way too much crap going on in the schools diverting her and other teachers from reading, writing, and 'rithmetic. That's a nationwide problem. Despite all my rhetoric I will admit that teachers have way too much crapola to deal with aside from actually teaching. However, as someone who has lived on LI and elsewhere, I will say that LIers are absolutely getting a declining return on their investment....no one can possibly make the argument that "well my taxes were only $4,500 when I bought this house and now they're $15K, but it's all right because the education just keeps getting better and better". You also have people in the position of "hey, my friend 5 blocks over only pays $7500 and I pay $12, 500 - what am I getting that they don't get?"

Of course this is my take on it. Maybe Dorothy does feel that the schools are failing, but her kids were in parochial school on LI so I'm not sure.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 AM

239 posts, read 507,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Married entire time with a 2 year old now. The way I did it is not the norm but, I worked hard and at 34 I live in a brand new house with a 250k mortgage. I really believe that my generation and the ones following are a bunch of lazy, pampered and selfish people.
If I have children I need a good size house with 4+ bedrooms, 2 car garage, finished basement, big, updated kitchen with an island, patio, master bedroom with a master bath, and at least 1.5 more bathrooms on a decent sized property. But I'm not going to get a house like that on Long Island for less than $700-800K. The high housing prices, high taxes, high auto insurance, high gas prices, and high grocery prices make it so hard to live on Long Island for a family without a six figure income. And I don't understand why the COL is so high on Long Island, it's not like we have the beaches of Florida, the mountains of Colorado, or the beautiful weather of SoCal.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,540,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
If I have children I need a good size house with 4+ bedrooms, 2 car garage, finished basement, big, updated kitchen with an island, patio, master bedroom with a master bath, and at least 1.5 more bathrooms on a decent sized property. .
Actually you don't. Gotta give this round to Galicia. I have 3 kids and if they have their druthers they all sleep in the same bedroom - and they aren't little anymore - two 11 year olds and an 8 year old. I have a 5 BR house BTW. No lack of room for them.

When I lived on LI I knew a lady with 5 kids who bought a 6 BR house to accomodate them. She said it was a waste of money - same as me, her kids were happiest sleeping in 2 BRs...older kids in one, younger kids in another.

I'm not disagreeing about the COL. If you WANT that house you describe, it's almost unattainable not just because of price but simply because of the aged housing stock that wasn't built that way.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:09 AM

239 posts, read 507,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Actually you don't. Gotta give this round to Galicia. I have 3 kids and if they have their druthers they all sleep in the same bedroom - and they aren't little anymore - two 11 year olds and an 8 year old. I have a 5 BR house BTW. No lack of room for them.

When I lived on LI I knew a lady with 5 kids who bought a 6 BR house to accomodate them. She said it was a waste of money - same as me, her kids were happiest sleeping in 2 BRs...older kids in one, younger kids in another.

I'm not disagreeing about the COL. If you WANT that house you describe, it's almost unattainable not just because of price but simply because of the aged housing stock that wasn't built that way.
I was joking around. Obviously bigger house doesn't mean your happier, although I do prefer a bigger house if I ever have kids. My point is that Long Island is not worth the high COL, especially when the housing stock is older than other areas of the country. It's not just the taxes that are high but almost everything else (although housing prices have decreased slightly because of the recession). If I'm going to live somewhere with a ridiculously high COL it's not going to be Long Island, rather a place like La Jolla or Coral Gables which is more aesthetically beautiful IMO, with more bigger properties and newer housing stock.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,934,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

I have to disagree.

When my children were younger they didn't mine all sleeping together in one room or maybe two in one room but as they become teenagers that all changes rather quickly.

One of my sons moved his bedroom to the third floor for what he calls extra privacy,lol. My daughter has taken residence in the basement and loves her new found freedom and her friends as well. I've notice how much quieter the household as become. As they grow older they need more space and privacy to do whatever teenagers do, I was there once and remember.

Also you have to include (well for me at least for the summer) all the friends and family that come down and visit. Cheap NY'ers want a free stay! It's better to have a little more then not enough, especially if you could afford it.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 AM

414 posts, read 805,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
Honestly, the cuts should really start at the top.

So how would YOU feel if you worked at a job 20 years, and the place had to start laying off people. If you were a senior person there you'd volunteer then to leave right, since that would be the right thing to do? That's the logic you just proposed.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:33 AM

764 posts, read 1,546,762 times
The problem with Long island school taxes is that districts are really small. IN other states some districts cover whole counties . Here one school district could cover a couple of blocks.

This is why school districts in the town of brookhaven have cheaper taxes. Sachem and patchogue medford are HUGE compaired to a lot of the districts further west on the island.

We really need to start combining school districts to save money. There is no other way to save money and lower taxes. Until this happens taxes will not go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island