Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM

23 posts, read 64,792 times

Advertisements

We were actually going to donate but are totally turned off by what recently happened. I heard my area is also unrelenting so guess I can expect someone knocking on my door in a couple of months. Welcome to LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,757 times
They come in my area as well. They said if this was not a good time they can come back, I told them I pay my taxes so there would be no need for them to return and was also met with a very rude response. My mother said if something were to ever happen, they may not come to my house which was her rationale for always donating. Not me.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
But but but.... what if your house is on fire????

Seriously, if I went to my boss for donations...

Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
West Islip still goes door to door, they actually maintain a list of who does and does not donate.

I personally think it's time to do away with volunteer fire departments and ambulance companies and instead each of the 10 towns will maintain their own fire department (which would also handle EMS) where at least half of the personnel are paid career firefighters, EMTs, or paramedics. They would still have volunteers and reserves but their numbers would be significantly reduced and it would no longer be a private club.

A single county fire department in Nassau and Suffolk would just lead to a carbon copy of the useless, inefficient, & overpaid county police departments dominating politics.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
I've never had them come to my house but they have called me. I told them we donated already and he continued to go on. It was Easter Sunday when they called and I was polite until the 4th time I said I donated and said I was hanging up, as it is a holiday and I do not wish to get into an arguement. He had the nerve to say, "Just remember while you're celebrating with your family, firefighters are working." That set me off. I have the utmost repect for FF's and will admit I have a "thing" for them but this was over the top. I reminded him he wasn't actually "working" until there was an actual fire and that MY tax dollars are paying him to sit on the phone and be rude. After that, I stopped donating.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:15 PM

152 posts, read 399,821 times
Your tax dollars pay for everything the Vollies need for to fight fires ( equipment, training, fuel, supplies etc. etc.) and even some of the Vollie toys ( racing vehicles). The donations will fund their alcohol, parties, Vollie jackets & perhaps trips).

As for the unprofessional behavior of the Vollies that come requesting donations....well sadly, for every good guy who joins to help the community, (and there are a lot of good guys with families and careers etc), there are 5 who live at home, and LIVE for the FD life. They never are seen without a maltese cross on, have a hundred stickers on their truck like " I fight what you fear" etc... and will drive 20 miles to see a "good" fire and take pictures.

I swear its almost a sexual response for some of them when that fire whistle blows..

After food, shelter and clothing,,, feeling important is a pretty basic human need. If you are a high school grad making $50 grand a year driving the town garbage truck, and all of a sudden you're the "chief in charge" at the big dumpster fire, its a heady experience..

The guys who are good, never advertise that they are fireman, they are the contractors, plumbers, and regular workers who volunteer after their work and family commitments are taken care of... Its the guy who lives at the firehouse 24/7, has the $2000 light-bar on a $1500 car that is the issue.

Last edited by Pool0890; 05-25-2012 at 05:34 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 04:25 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
I have a 1"x3" NO SOLICITORS sign attached just above our doorbell button. If they ring it I simply open door and without a word just point to it and close door.Most read sign and walk away.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:07 PM

112 posts, read 218,439 times
Hey Pool0890 , Have you read the book Fire Lover by Joseph Wambaugh ? You'll love it !

Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,137 times
The FD from Ridge was soliciting from cars stopped at traffic lights on the William Floyd Parkway yesterday! They must have burned through their beer money for the year on St. Patrick's Day and were thinking about what a dry summer (pun INTENDED) it was going to be. It's pretty sad that these guys have become the squeegee men of the suburbs!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:11 AM

426 posts, read 960,418 times
Considering that the volunteer FD money is already factored into your taxes, and also considering most FD's on Long Island have trucks and equipment that FAR surpasses what they use in NYC (which has much more VOLUME and devastating fires than on LI), I see no need to donate whatsoever.....

Seriously...do each of these FD's need a half million dollar hook and ladder truck that gets used maybe 5x a year, if that?

It's more of a dog and pony show for the parades....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island