Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 PM

23 posts, read 64,752 times

Advertisements

Has anyone experience rudeness from their fire department soliciting door to door donations? We live in the Town of North Hempstead and cannot believe the attitude given to us when we were on our way out and could not donate. Instead we asked for donation info to be mailed to us but was met with unprofessional sarcastic behavior. Now makes me never want to donate again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eKim313 View Post
Has anyone experience rudeness from their fire department soliciting door to door donations? We live in the Town of North Hempstead and cannot believe the attitude given to us when we were on our way out and could not donate. Instead we asked for donation info to be mailed to us but was met with unprofessional sarcastic behavior. Now makes me never want to donate again.
Call the Chief's office and complain. Tell him what happened, and let him know you wanted to make a $25 donation, but you were so turned off by his guys, you couldn't. Then, I would meet with him and give him the money and let him know where you live. If you can't donate, then just buy 3 or 4 fire extinguishers just in case.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,411,051 times
They just send it in the mail and I throw it out LOL they do not come door to door in my area.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:17 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,570 times
The door to door collections and solicitations in the mail are for beer money. You're already paying for services in your taxes. IMO the door to door is super tacky and should be done away with. Thankfully many departments don't do it.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 AM

37 posts, read 59,800 times
I agree. My fire dept. is unrelenting. They just keeping coming to my door if you do not donate. Three times so far. And they have a list of who did not donate by mail. This is thuggery. I do not want to donate. I want to close many fire departments. As I have stated before: We do not need all of this fire equipment. We are in need of paramedics. See my previous posts with discussion and many websites cited backing my statements and the costs. The pols are afraid to say anything or they use the fire departments as a way of getting voted. The fire departments are like unions to the pols. My fire department costs $5.9 million a year to run for mostly vollies. Syosset $7.1 million for mostly vollies. Even NYC has been trying to close fire stations; Bloomberg wants to close 20. But the unions scream and fool the residents. I post again. A commission and a report paid for by your tax dollars: http://www.nyslocalgov.org/pdf/LGEC_Final_Report.pdf Where are the pols ? Looking for votes or afraid.

We further need to close libraries. Why are local libraries now providing electronic books ? Have you noticed that the libraries are trying to remake themselves into big culture centers ?

Close Post Offices as well.

I feel sorry for the kids and their unplanned kids who are going to pick up the tab for all of this spending. Not only that the weakness this country (if not the world) will suffer because of all of the overspending.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 AM

244 posts, read 634,065 times
Thanks for all that info Sean Hannity.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim313 View Post
has anyone experience rudeness from their fire department soliciting door to door donations? We live in the town of north hempstead and cannot believe the attitude given to us when we were on our way out and could not donate. Instead we asked for donation info to be mailed to us but was met with unprofessional sarcastic behavior. Now makes me never want to donate again.

You have officially learned the hard way.

This is why I only donate to serious things...like Wendys, so I can get my book of free frosty coupons.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 AM

244 posts, read 634,065 times
Wendys ftw. Best fast food without a doubt imo.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
The fire dept wouldnt have the nerve to come to our door. We already pay the highest fire taxes and why oh why should they get a penny extra.

Gordonheightsfire district.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
I once had an ADT Security solicitor get rude with me, he then commented about "how my home might get broke into" so I took his picture and told him I would give it to the police if that should happen...

They haven't been back since....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island