U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:48 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,360,117 times

Advertisements

The beef with the Riverhead development made me think of this article. LI needs development and it needs to build the tax base. Here are a number of large scale projects on the drawing board from Long Island Business News - Home. I'd love to hear people's thoughts:

Pilgrim's Progress

It’s been almost five years since developer Jerry Wolkoff proposed a sprawling redevelopment of the Pilgrim State Hospital complex in Brentwood, and wags have been wondering whether his so-called Heartland project still has a pulse.

Wolkoff now thinks the first public hearings on the project could come within 60 days. While that may prove to be optimistic, there is much to like about his vision of a retooled suburbia that, when fully built, would include as many as 9,000 one- and two-bedroom apartments complemented by more than a half-million square feet of retail and office space.

A big plus among government planners: affordable space for young Long Islanders.

“There are very good components to the plan,” noted Joe DeVincent, deputy supervisor of the Town of Islip, in which Brentwood is located. “It redevelops a site that needs redevelopment and it addresses needs we have in the community. It would create a center for young people, with desperately needed workforce housing.

“It’s what a well-educated, well-trained labor force is looking for,” he added, “and what’s needed to sustain Long Island’s economy.”

With approvals in hand, Wolkoff said, it would take two years to complete the first phase of the project – including 1,000 apartments, a 600,000-square-foot “lifestyle center” and some 300,000 square feet dedicated to retail and office uses.

But as much as he likes the plan, DeVincent said major issues still need to be hammered out. “There are the problems associated with this kind of density, like traffic and sewage,” the deputy supervisor said. “At this point, his submission needs some more work.”

Traffic is a major concern of some critics. Wolkoff estimates that 50 percent of automobile trips generated by the project would remain on site, but the Suffolk Department of Public Works estimates 25 percent. Studies of other urban-renewal projects around the country suggest a range of 25 to 41 percent of car trips staying on a development site, thereby lessening traffic effects on neighboring communities.

Who’s right? No one is quite sure. That’s why Islip Supervisor Phil Nolan likes Wolkoff’s idea to build the project in phases, giving planners better proof of traffic patterns.

“If we have the mechanism in place to change it as we go, then we can start,” Nolan said. “But we have to be sure, because when you get down to it, the devil is in the details, especially with this one.”

The project’s other big drawback is its enormity. Islip has 97,000 existing homes, and Heartland proposes adding 15,000. “This is a small city,” DeVincent noted.

Heartland is hardly the only major Long Island development vying to change not only the Island landscape, but the very way Islanders live.

Downtown by the river

After receiving “master developer” status and more than one deadline extension from the Town of Riverhead, Riverhead Renaissance LLC – a company formed specifically for the project by Manhattan-based Apollo Real Estate Advisors – is still acquiring property for its $470 million redevelopment of 12.5 downtown acres.

Some property owners within the renewal zone are holding out for higher prices. Apollo offered $10 million to Riverhead Enterprises, which owns some of the targeted property, according to Don Secunda, an attorney with the Weber Law Group, which represents Apollo. Riverhead Enterprises wanted $20 million, Secunda said, although a recent property appraisal, ordered by the town, came in at $9.5 million.

“We hope we can make a deal,” Secunda said. “We’d like to avoid a condemnation and work out a deal with the sellers.”

Planning has already begun on the north side of Main Street, where the old Woolworth building will house a multiplex movie theater, a hotel, offices and retail space. Once the rest of the necessary property is acquired – whether bought by Apollo or condemned by the town – Riverhead Renaissance can continue its plans on the south side of Main Street, which include apartments, additional retail space and streetscape improvements.

Hempstead on the verge

In a vote delayed by bitter political bickering, the Village of Hempstead will decide Tuesday whether to enter into a contract with Manhattan-based developer UrbanAmerica, which has proposed a $2 billion plan to transform about 26 stagnant downtown acres.

At the other end of the tunnel, UrbanAmerica promises, are 2,500 condos, about 600,000 square feet of retail and office space and some type of performing arts venue.

After two contentious public hearings – one had to be held at Hofstra University to accommodate the swelling audience – Mayor Wayne Hall, an ardent supporter of the UA plan, said he’s “confident that the board of trustees will make the right decision.”

Labor unions also support the proposal, especially those involved in construction, and union members have made their presence felt at every village meeting on the revitalization plan.

Housing activists have criticized the UrbanAmerica plan for not offering enough low-income housing.

Richmond McCoy, UA’s chief executive, said the plan could and probably will change as the approval process goes along, and might eventually include a larger percentage of affordable units than first planned.

Coliseum visions

The Lighthouse Development Group, a partnership between software tycoon Charles Wang and RexCorp Realty, recently formed a steering committee to help it shape what will end up on 77 acres around the Nassau Coliseum.

The committee includes civic, planning, labor, environmental and legislative leaders united to provide insight, support and feedback to developers and communities, and to ensure the project moves forward.

RexCorp chief executive Scott Rechler has been taking the plan to the streets – at least, to neighboring civic groups – to discuss aspects and impacts of the $2 billion proposal. A new sports arena to house Wang’s New York Islanders will be surrounded by residential neighborhoods, retail and entertainment venues, a “sports technology center,” a multipurpose athletic complex, conference and exhibition facilities, a minor-league-level baseball stadium and a hotel, according to architect designs.

Rechler said an application for the Coliseum plan will be filed with the Town of Hempstead “ahead of schedule” – possibly by the end of the year.

Golden ‘Arches’

The only of the Island’s major projects already under construction, the Arches at Deer Park, a new Tanger Outlet center, is already 60 percent leased, according to David Blumenfeld, vice president of the Blumenfeld Development Group in Syosset.

The $200 million shopping complex, on 81 acres of former industrial land in Deer Park, will consist of 14 buildings, five of which are already built. Foundations for the other nine are already in the ground, Blumenfeld said.

The 800,000-square-foot Arches is a joint project between Blumenfeld, Tanger and Apollo, and will feature a combination of larger box stores, smaller designer outlets, restaurants, cafés and a Regal multiplex cinema.

Blumenfeld said he expects the Arches to open around Labor Day 2008.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 PM

2,845 posts, read 9,808,129 times
First I've heard of the Hempstead plan but I gotta say that's a disaster waiting to happen. Main St is basically a service road for Franklin Ave. at this point, it's real tiny and there's no way it can accomodate that kind of traffic, nor can any other parts of Hempstead.

Interesting though, thanks for posting. I feel like the next 10-20 years there's gonna be huge changes on LI.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:00 PM

491 posts, read 716,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
The beef with the Riverhead development made me think of this article. LI needs development and it needs to build the tax base. .
Hell no NO MORE Enough of that 'Suazzi Bullstuff"

The first thing Long Island needs to do is grab all these illegal parasites buy the neck before they have more kids here and throw them TF out !!
They overburden our schools $ services, take $$ out of the economy to send to Mexico & Central America.
These parasites get a way with all this crap INCLUDING MURDER, RAPE, SAEX CRIMES and dont pay 1 penny in the property and school tax thats killing us
Doesn’t the law apply equally to all, what the hell?

At this point you may as well bury your money then go to Mexico learn to look and act like a Mexican. Then just buy a sombrero and sneak back in as an Illegal.
....Between Bush and Suazzi thats a hell of a way !!!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:30 PM

81 posts, read 332,486 times
GC Guy..I've read many of your posts and it seems to me you are an entrenched and happy LI er.
I don't know if you traverse the isand at all but I do everyday for the past 25 years.
nothing on this island can be added without first addressing the road system.It is in shambles,and traffic simply cannot move.before building something that our road system cannot handle,address the mess first.The fact is,this place is way too small for what goes on,and what is proposed.this place shuts down in a rain storm,I can't imagine more people on the LIE to go ski in July.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 PM

1,900 posts, read 6,644,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder94 View Post
GC Guy..I've read many of your posts and it seems to me you are an entrenched and happy LI er.
I don't know if you traverse the isand at all but I do everyday for the past 25 years.
nothing on this island can be added without first addressing the road system.It is in shambles,and traffic simply cannot move.before building something that our road system cannot handle,address the mess first.The fact is,this place is way too small for what goes on,and what is proposed.this place shuts down in a rain storm,I can't imagine more people on the LIE to go ski in July.

But where isn't there traffic in the Tri State area? And LI shutting down in a rain storm...so far that has only happened one time just this summer. No matter where you are, if you live close enough to a major city, you will have much traffic. So if you are not up for traffic, then move out of a travel distance to a major city but also know that you may be bored out of your mind and may have a hard time finding a good paying job.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:50 PM

1,900 posts, read 6,644,634 times
From my research, much of the issues with development in Suffolk county have to do with no sewers, and attaining sewerage for whatever industry/retail they would like to build.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:50 AM

2,845 posts, read 9,808,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
But where isn't there traffic in the Tri State area? And LI shutting down in a rain storm...so far that has only happened one time just this summer. No matter where you are, if you live close enough to a major city, you will have much traffic. So if you are not up for traffic, then move out of a travel distance to a major city but also know that you may be bored out of your mind and may have a hard time finding a good paying job.
I agree. Time for a lot of people on LI to realize that the city is continually expanding...this has been going on for over a century, it's nothing new. We can either adapt to it or pretend it isn't happening and end up in a real mess. Problem here is all of these grandiose plans seem like nothing more than malls and tourist traps - which are nice I suppose (if you're into that sort of thing), but they don't account for infrastructure related problems at all. Forget Suffolk for a second because it still has tons of open land...but building another Source Mall in the heart of Hempstead is insane. Traffic on that section of Hempstead Turnpike is already at a standstill most hours of the day, and expanding the road is impossible without tearing down prime real estate. That, in conjunction with the Lighthouse project will effectively make the Meadowbrook Parkway a parking lot. Maybe if a lot of native Brooklyn/Queens residents start moving out here they would be more receptive to public transportation, but the LIRR is pointless unless you want to go into or come back from Manhattan. I'm not one to think public transportation is a cure-all (plus I like my car), but if development like this is going to happen the LIRR system has to be expanded to resemble the NYC subway system....which wouldn't be hard to do at all! All the tracks are there already, they just need to be linked up. Hempstead would be a great intra-island hub!!

Old 09-22-2007, 06:29 AM

81 posts, read 332,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
It's obvious you don't get out much
You are missing the point

Old 09-22-2007, 06:32 AM

8,501 posts, read 19,761,219 times
Whatever happened to the Stu Leonard's huge supermarket that was supposed to open on Route 110 in Farmingdale ? I know that there was a problem with Republic . I had been looking forward to that as I've never been inside one and it's too far for me to go all the way into Plainview to that other big interactive store.
Does anyone know when the new Tanger Outlet will open? Probably the day after I leave LI.....

Old 09-23-2007, 09:32 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,360,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder94 View Post
It's obvious you don't get out much
You are missing the point
I think the point is that LI needs to do something to retain residents and businesses. It could also stand to try and develop some new industries while creating areas that make people want to hang out on the island and not go into the city. But most important, the Island needs to develop new revenue streams to combat the rising tide of taxes. Yes, costs need to be cut as well, but not to develop out of fear is no longer acceptable. That's what's been causing a lot of the problems we currently face on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island