Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times

Advertisements

my husband & I were headed to a backyard party in Huntington village, we were going after work & needed to stop along the way to pick up beer or something to bring. We made the mistake of taking rt 110 north which turned into NY ave-very scary & finally after what seemed like days the only thing we found a was a "C-Town" store. I have never been in one of these in my life. Well from the moment we got out of our car it was like we just landed in central america. I'd be willing to bet every penny in my 401k that we were the only people in there that speak english as their FIRST language.
Then it happened...the horror.
We get to the register & there is a sign in both english & spanish that says basically
"we'll accept your pay checks as payment for you food if we recognize the business name on the check"
So here is a food store that is CASHING checks for people without bank accounts & laundering the money through the store. Holy mother of god, we are F@#$%^!!!!
this is CRAZY!!!!!
Another scam that slides under the radar. I'm horrified by how little our government is doing to control this mess!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 02:31 PM

525 posts, read 2,350,985 times
Well, taking Rt. 110 was your first mistake-trafffic wise and ride wise. Stopping in Huntington Station, South of the tracks was your second.

You know the village kelly-I know you do! Waldbaums, King Kullen and the old IGA, forever known as Jack's to us old-timers, could have served you well. 7s in Halsite as well. or the beer distributor North of Big H on new York Ave.

I hope you enjoyed the party, and took another way home

Old 09-21-2007, 03:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
my husband & I were headed to a backyard party in Huntington village, we were going after work & needed to stop along the way to pick up beer or something to bring. We made the mistake of taking rt 110 north which turned into NY ave-very scary & finally after what seemed like days the only thing we found a was a "C-Town" store. I have never been in one of these in my life. Well from the moment we got out of our car it was like we just landed in central america. I'd be willing to bet every penny in my 401k that we were the only people in there that speak english as their FIRST language.
We get to the register & there is a sign in both english & spanish that says basically
"we'll accept your pay checks as payment for you food if we recognize the business name on the check"
So here is a food store that is CASHING checks for people without bank accounts & laundering the money through the store. Holy mother of god, we are F@#$%^!!!!
this is CRAZY!!!!!
Another scam that slides under the radar. I'm horrified by how little our government is doing to control this mess!!!
God, you're picky. Viva la France.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Can't you cash checks at any supermarket?

Old 09-21-2007, 04:07 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
this is CRAZY!!!!!
What? I thought DIVERSITY was a good thing. At any rate, that's what everybody on this forum claims to be looking for.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 11,892 times
KellyFG,
How far "eastern Long Island" are you? As native LI'ers we left E.Hampton/Amagansett (only 1 town more Eastern than that!) in '84 for the Carolinas, and upon returning there for visits we see that the population has grown Hispanic immensely. Same for here!!! I'd believe it if some statistic shows more Hispanic convenience stores locally than any other type, although in Raleigh area there are also many Asian markets. I don't know what to believe anymore. I've always been liberal, welcoming, pro-diversity, etc. As I age I see so many abuses becoming evident. There are so many levels of that...all the way up to outright corruption. One major problem here (a bit off-topic) is the FACT that the amount of accidents due to unlicensed, illegal and DUI Hispanics is epidemic! Most of them resulting in fatalities. We were told that it's similar back on LI. So, what does one do? Aside from "running", community involvement and careful, deliberate voting is "it".

Old 09-21-2007, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,892 times
To Samyn,

Just thought I'd add that it was totally coincidental that my post was being composed while yours was being included. You see, we came South to the Carolinas because we are NOT in the "Glitterati" category, are middle-class and proud to have been part of the local work force in what is now referred to strictly as "The Hamptons". We couldn't live status-quo as Mom&Pop stores closed, land got scooped-up, groceries became luxuries, etc. Ironically, it had NOTHING to do with "diversity". The major influx was folks with GREEN, not otherwise-colored skin and names unlike Aiden, Tucker & Josh! Try "Tiffany". As for slapping your kids around to "toughen them up" in preparation for learning experiences in cultural differences, it would seem that you may have been "toughened up" a bit too much to have your hostile attitude. I hope that you're being sarcastic.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:42 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Why I don't miss Long Island---threads like this one...
It's great up here in Vermont. Not one sign in Spanish...no check cashing places advertising in Spanish..Everything is in ENGLISH..they talk about diversity up here but it's 98% White.

Funny, the crime rate is also very, very low...(so is the pay by the way...there is no ideal...)

Old 09-21-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Can't you cash checks at any supermarket?
you can cash checks at any supermarket if you have a "store card" which includes all of your info like your DRIVERS LICENSE # & I'm sure at this point your SOCIAL SECURITY #.
This particular store was geared toward "cashing checks" like this-Mr Perez has a paycheck from Joe Schmoe Landscaping for $500, he is going to purchase $100 of food, C-Town gives him $400 back. So while Mr perez' employer may have a SS# for him, it probably isn't right or he'd have a bank account like the rest of us good tax paying citizens.
I like all kinds of people, I have life long close friends that are not white. However, I believe EVERYONE in this country should be paying income tax & their fair share of property & school taxes.
It is repulsive to me that there are entire communities of people that aren't paying their share living right out in the open & all the check cashing places, international money wiring storefronts & even crappy C-town are making it possible to break the rules right under our noses. And NOTHING is really being done about it.
My family health insurance is going up 12% AGAIN this year, I now have to deal with $50 copays in an effort to keep my premium afforable, yet there are CRIMINALS(aka people living here breaking our immigration laws) walking into our ERs everyday & receiving medical care!
Its not about the color of their skin or the country they are from, its about RIGHT & WRONG!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Well, taking Rt. 110 was your first mistake-trafffic wise and ride wise. Stopping in Huntington Station, South of the tracks was your second.

You know the village kelly-I know you do! Waldbaums, King Kullen and the old IGA, forever known as Jack's to us old-timers, could have served you well. 7s in Halsite as well. or the beer distributor North of Big H on new York Ave.

I hope you enjoyed the party, and took another way home
Oh I never replied to this, honestly I'm not a huntington area person, anything west of Port Jefferson is like Queens to me. Our friends live there but we do much more entertaining & rarely go to their house. We usually take deer park ave but we took 110 thinking we'd have better liquor store choices & didn't see one the entire way, we finally settled for c-town to avoid trying to find a place to park in the village & walk to a store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island