Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:55 AM

90 posts, read 216,785 times

Advertisements

I dont know when or why, but high taxes do stink, and the reality is that the LI taxpayer gets very little in return for said high tax bill, regardless of how you may think about the quality of schools , services, etc, in 90 percent of the country you get a cmpareable levelof service for much less money. Simple math indicates to me that taxes will be coming down.
Average Income:83000
Average tax Bill (suffolk County) 9200
Average House price: 300000

these numbers dont sustain growth or even stagnation. I few other averages that should get you thinking:

average pay per employee LI 2011: 48000 (PO/Teachers included)
Average PO salary: 107000
Average teacher salary:73417

These numbers all came from google, so take it with a grain of salt, but i am sure that they are in the right ball park. Makes you wonder what the future holds...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Were there ever a time on Long Island when taxes were rational?

If so, when was the turning point when taxes started to become what they are today? What triggered it?
People demand and the politicians are happy to establish more and more departments of government.
Tune in chanel 18 on cable-vision and see how the town of Huntington spends the tax payers $$.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
the unions got greedy and the politicians let them get away with it.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:19 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
The changes have been gradual over the last 30 years, school boards and public representatives either paid little attention to contracts. or used the unions for political support.

Today everything is out in the open and there is a tremendous amount of information available, if you don't know what is going on you have no one to blame but yourself. Cuomo's tax cap has been fairly effective at getting the attention of superintendents and school boards. We had the lowest budget increase in 15 years, compare that to the last 3 years. This should have occured sooner, but still a step in the right direction.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
Tom Gulotta played a HUGE part.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
the unions got greedy and the politicians let them get away with it.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Tom Gulotta played a HUGE part.......

Yes, the PBA took out adds and creating banners indicating he was tough on crime, unfortunately he wasn't tough on police contracts. This is the problem when politicians represent unions rather than citizens.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
I was born and raised on LI worked as a clammer with a good boat. Moved to Colorado in 75 when the crap started like gov unions.I pay 600 a year in taxes on my 4 br restored Victorian home. My whole family still lives on LI I call them crazy.I jeep fish and hunt way more than I work. No complaints about me adventure out west.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Sprawl is one of the leading causes of the high taxes , everything is so spread out on LI that you need to have multiple services to cover them. If LI was more Dense , the taxes would be lower...

I don't understand....Using this theory, places with wide open country and smaller populations would be paying higher taxes.

And could LI get any denser, it already looks like Queens with trees!!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I was born and raised on LI worked as a clammer with a good boat. Moved to Colorado in 75 when the crap started like gov unions.I pay 600 a year in taxes on my 4 br restored Victorian home. My whole family still lives on LI I call them crazy.I jeep fish and hunt way more than I work. No complaints about me adventure out west.
Other than the taxes, there has to be trade-offs living there versus living on LI. You may only recall the LI back in 1975, but I'll ask anyway... what are you giving up there as opposed to living the LI life? Always interesting to see the lifestyle differences - haves and don't-haves.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Other than the taxes, there has to be trade-offs living there versus living on LI. You may only recall the LI back in 1975, but I'll ask anyway... what are you giving up there as opposed to living the LI life? Always interesting to see the lifestyle differences - haves and don't-haves.
Nothing while I miss being a waterman the lifestyle is over forever.I left the signed title to my clam boat in the engine compartment as it was worthless after they closed all my clamming areas. I now live the outdoors in CO setting up hunting camps and guiding and work as a carpenter in summers. Bought a sailboat and sail all over Mexico,Catilina Island etc. Went jeeping last weekend and got into snow and fun stuff on an atv trail. Funny when I was a boy I had a newsday route and read a letter to the editor from a LI couple who moved to Durango CO back in 1969 and said keep LI this place is heaven. Well after 2 years on the road I checked it out and stayed. never lived there too expensive. but work there for the money.Mancos is 30 miles west a real cowboy town.I go back to LI to visit but miss nothing except my family. Thanks for reading my story and being interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island