Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times

Advertisements

LI Humidity is fierce, the downer is some winters are awful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
I grew up in a climate where you couldn't keep paper in printers because they would stick together, can't leave a bag of chips open for more than a few hours, etc.

This isn't bad at all. I haven't even put in my AC units yet.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
People here in NC complain about the humidity incessantly. I just don't see it. Hot? Yes. But no way is it more humid than Long Island in the summer.

When we moved here we'd watch the news and listen to the weather reports - end of July-beginning of August - and they'd be talking about how miserably humid it was and how bad it was going to be. After a few days we were like "are we missing something here???"

My mom grew up in new England and detested every summer on LI. When she moved to NC, I was curious what her take on the weather would be. She assured me it was nothing like LI - she was right.
Yup, I concur... the sun beating down is one thing, but humidity wise LI is way worse then NC.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
The humidity is definitely the worst aspect of the weather here. Compare a 90 degree day on LI to one in Denver or an inland part of California where it is hod and dry. You go in the shade and it's actually pleasant. Here the shade offers little comfort.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I grew up in a climate where you couldn't keep paper in printers because they would stick together, can't leave a bag of chips open for more than a few hours, etc.

This isn't bad at all. I haven't even put in my AC units yet.
Same here. To me the humidity here is a joke.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
when I traveled to HK over the summer I took 3 showers a day. This is nothing here.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
when I traveled to HK over the summer I took 3 showers a day. This is nothing here.
I went to HK and Singapore on the same trip a few years ago, and Singapore was even worse that HK. I was even sweating while taking a shower.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 AM

294 posts, read 743,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Lol are you kidding? This weekend was nothing compared to the humidity I used to deal with in Florida. I laugh when I hear people complain about the humidity up here.
Seriously! Gotta be a troll post. I've been in New Orleans in August and walked for one block outside my hotel and was drenched, the air was so thick you were swimming through it!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
Seriously! Gotta be a troll post. I've been in New Orleans in August and walked for one block outside my hotel and was drenched, the air was so thick you were swimming through it!

That's exactly how I felt when I used to travel to Florida for work during July and August. The hotel is across the way from my company's building but it was like walking 2 blocks. The campus is made up of multiple attached buildings so sometimes you have to walk outdoors to get to another building. By the time I got to my office I looked like I walked through a sprinkler. Humidity was 80% at 8am and temps were already pushing 90 degrees. Needless to say, I never had a good hair day

OP, I think maybe you're a little sensitive to humidity. This ain't nothin'.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 8,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
That's exactly how I felt when I used to travel to Florida for work during July and August. The hotel is across the way from my company's building but it was like walking 2 blocks. The campus is made up of multiple attached buildings so sometimes you have to walk outdoors to get to another building. By the time I got to my office I looked like I walked through a sprinkler. Humidity was 80% at 8am and temps were already pushing 90 degrees. Needless to say, I never had a good hair day

OP, I think maybe you're a little sensitive to humidity. This ain't nothin'.

Perhaps I am sensitive to the humidity since I live in a wonderful, almost perfect climate now. Been off LI a while, so maybe I forgot how bad the humidity was. One day the weather was 65 degrees..humidity 100% it felt like it was 90 degrees out. The whole week the lowest the humidity got was 75%, with most other days humidity at approx. 95%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island