Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 PM

17 posts, read 33,534 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm new to to the forums, and I have a quick semi-hypothetical question. (I posted this in the Westchester forum, so I thought I'd get opinions from here as well)

I live in White Plains, NY, and I *may* have a job opportunity in the future--unfortunately, it would be in Farmingdale, Long Island.

I'm not a seasoned "commuter driver" (I drive--but mostly locally). Based on the initial research I've done, it seems that public transportation is insanely long (unless I'm missing something). Going via car looks to be around 90 minutes during rush hour.

The job in question might pay $90k-100k. I *may* be able to work from home 1 day/week, but I don't want to bank on that. Moving is not an option.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/ information...

My last question is more opinion based: At what point (salary-wise or other) does such a commute become acceptable/bearable, if at all?

Thanks in advance for opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,689,507 times
90 minutes commute....dont do it...you'll burn out quick

Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 AM

22,651 posts, read 36,651,816 times
I agree with Gpsma. Don't do it. 90 minutes from Westchester = best case scenario. I worked in Farmingdale before moving - it's a pain in the neck to commute to...even from Long Island. Add in your lack of a comfort level with highway driving - not going to be good.

Money wise factor in cost of gas and tolls as well as wear and tear on your car (which will be substantial) and your inability to get to work if there is a bad winter.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:08 AM

3,943 posts, read 5,054,851 times
When the LIRR has it's east side access project completed then public transit will be a so-so option.

However that constantly gets delayed, years upon years so it won't help you much now.

Sadly, that commute is -just- over too far to make on a daily basis.

Plus remember 90 miles daily = 3 gallons of gas + $10 in tolls daily = $22 dollar daily commute.
That's almost $5000 per work year in just getting there.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 AM

294 posts, read 609,033 times
I've been doing a NHP/White Plains (~65 miles) round-trip commute for the last 7 years or so. I generally do early hours (in by 7 a.m. and out by 4 p.m.) to avoid traffic as much as possible. We have other people commuting from areas close to Farmingdale. Long story short, it's a piece of cake getting here 95% of the time, but the afternoon commute seems to be getting worse and worse over the years. I've had more and more 90 minute commutes over the last couple of years, with a few 2 hr. afternoon drives thrown in, particularly on Fridays...and that's with no major issues on the bridges.

It really depends on what your threshold for pain is with respect to traffic, whether you have to be back home by a certain time (I do for child pick-up) and whether the salary is clearly above what you'd get closer to home figuring in both the tangible (gas/tolls/wear and tear on your car) and the intangible - stress from being behind the wheel for that period of time on a daily basis.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,994,363 times
I went from an hour commute to under 15 minutes and I would never go back. Think of how many hours of your life you are wasting sitting in a car.

Unless you can work out a shorter work week/work from home type situation with your employer, I would never consider it. I might consider a 90 minute commute 3 days per week if the price were right, but never 5 days.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:41 PM

17 posts, read 33,534 times
First of all, thank you for all of your opinions, they're very helpful and I'm glad I asked! The 90 minute estimate was simply a guess, but I based it on the 1hr, 15 minute average on Google maps, and added some time.

I just wish there was some sort of public transportation option that was feasible. At the moment, the only one is LIRR/Metro North with takes a total of 2:20 *one way*.

Since I'm used to working in Manhattan, I need to get a sense of what the threshold of salary makes such a commute acceptable...

If anyone else has opinions, I'm all ears!

Old 05-31-2012, 01:03 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,994,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneye7 View Post
First of all, thank you for all of your opinions, they're very helpful and I'm glad I asked! The 90 minute estimate was simply a guess, but I based it on the 1hr, 15 minute average on Google maps, and added some time.

I just wish there was some sort of public transportation option that was feasible. At the moment, the only one is LIRR/Metro North with takes a total of 2:20 *one way*.

Since I'm used to working in Manhattan, I need to get a sense of what the threshold of salary makes such a commute acceptable...

If anyone else has opinions, I'm all ears!
I think the only thing that makes such a commute acceptable is no other job options.

Your job paying 90-100K that requires that much commute I would judge the same as a job paying 75-85 that is 10 minutes from home. That's factoring the value of my time in addition to gas and wear and tear on the car and/or mass transit costs.

Being 10 minutes from home means that I can go to my kids school Christmas bash and count it as my lunch break..no need to take time off. We can cook a real dinner for my family or have a few hours to play.

Those long commutes are okay for a year or 2, but especially with family, not a long term answer.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,746,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think the only thing that makes such a commute acceptable is no other job options.

Your job paying 90-100K that requires that much commute I would judge the same as a job paying 75-85 that is 10 minutes from home. That's factoring the value of my time in addition to gas and wear and tear on the car and/or mass transit costs.

Being 10 minutes from home means that I can go to my kids school Christmas bash and count it as my lunch break..no need to take time off. We can cook a real dinner for my family or have a few hours to play.

Those long commutes are okay for a year or 2, but especially with family, not a long term answer.
My father drove 110 miles round trip 5 days a week for 26 years....was at every holiday/family function and didn't make close to 100k a year.

Stop being so dramatic.

To the OP: If the money is decent go for it. Just buy cheap beater cars and you will be fine.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:38 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,244,011 times
Ninety minutes in each direction on a train is a haul, even though you can read a book, listen to music, use a laptop, nap, etc. But driving? That will probably get old very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island