U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 06:54 PM

92 posts, read 400,740 times

Advertisements

I have asked the so called experts multiple times and can't get it straight so I will ask those who deal with this on daily basis.

I bought a house a year ago with a built in pool. 3ft-9ft so roughly 33-36000 gallons. This is the first year we are opening it. It was dirty and took me forever to get it pretty clean.

The PH, Free Chlorine and Water Hardness were all low. I went to Leslie's (Is this place any good?) and they told me 1) put 10lbs of Alkalinity into pool at night. The next night add 25lbs of water hardener in 2 lots of about 12.5lbs separated by 90min. Run filter through the night and then add a ton of shock. I have very concentrated powder shock that you scoop in. When the pool was first opened I added 5 scoops. Last night I did about 8 because the water was a tad green.

This morning the water looked much clearer. However when I put the water on the test strip, it still is showing nothing. I have the chlorinator at max level with about 6 large tabs in it.

Leslie's ran me a computer report before I did all of this and the PH was 7.1 which is a little low. The Free and Total Chlorine was 0 and my strip looks the same so unless it is bleached out which I doubt that hasn't changed. My pool is basically in the sun the entire day so I have been told it burns off easily. The Alkalinity was 70 which is low. I also thought because it was green at one point I may have algae but now it looks a lot better.

Should I get a different shock? A friend said get this green out stuff that kills algae. It is just frustrating as hell because I am working on this thing every night and I want to go in knowing the levels are ok like last year instead of throwing my family in and then dealing with other levels dropping. I also don't want to be living at the pool store spending zillions of dollars. I was told Leslie's chemicals aren't great and that I should go to Island Recreational. I've bought some stuff from them but they are a far distance from my house so Leslie's and Pool Doctor make more sense although the original owners of this house said don't use Pool Doctor.

Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 PM

840 posts, read 2,224,662 times
i dunno, they are pleasant there but half the time i think the results are just to get you to buy more chemicals. i always use about half of whatever their report requires and my water is great

Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 3,536,385 times
I bet your powdered chlorine is old/bad. I have had this issue before, even with brand new chlorine. Its probably old stock.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 PM

10,256 posts, read 12,956,117 times
I have a hot tub and if I have a question I post it on the spa and hot tub forum and always get wonderful advice. I had a problem with my chemical balance and the members helped me out. Here is the link, I have no experience with pools but they have been a tremendous help. You do need to register and I have NEVER EVER gotten any spam from them, it is a safe sight. Good luck I would go to the swimming pool section and log on and ask away.
.PoolSpaForum.com. Powered by Swimming pool, hot tub and swim spa enthusiast

Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 PM

94 posts, read 231,491 times
Go and buy liquid shock (island Rec) put in about 9 gallons and in about 1 day you should be ok. If you have no Free chlorine then there is something in the pool. Keep it up at shock levels will kill it

Also use Baking soda to raise Alkalinity you can buy it at costco.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 PM

92 posts, read 400,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1122 View Post
Go and buy liquid shock (island Rec) put in about 9 gallons and in about 1 day you should be ok. If you have no Free chlorine then there is something in the pool. Keep it up at shock levels will kill it

Also use Baking soda to raise Alkalinity you can buy it at costco.
Does the Alkalinity need to be in place prior to shocking it or doesn't it make a difference? I was told the PH needs to be brought up before the shock is put in because too low or high PH levels affects chlorine. My PH seems low.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:01 PM

376 posts, read 913,437 times
first of all...GET RID OF THOSE TESTING STRIPS ...use the liquid type testing kit much more accurate .....as pointed out already , use baking soda to raise the PH level ...walmart has the best price or costco/BJ's ....when it rains your PH/chlorine may drop so these are the only chemicals you need to keep a balance pool clarity ....like I said I think your problem is those testing strips giving you a false reading ..all that chlorine you have added should show a high level....keep us updated .....

Old 06-01-2012, 03:02 PM

376 posts, read 913,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan1970 View Post
Does the Alkalinity need to be in place prior to shocking it or doesn't it make a difference? I was told the PH needs to be brought up before the shock is put in because too low or high PH levels affects chlorine. My PH seems low.
yes , PH needs to be balance for the chlorine to work right..baking soda to raise it...

Old 06-03-2012, 09:18 AM

774 posts, read 1,225,189 times
Sorry that you're having difficulty BUT I'm just reading all this with a big SMILE on my face... I remember those days, LOL. Haven't had a pool in 2 years and I don't miss it one bit!

Hope it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: