Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 AM

236 posts, read 473,751 times

Advertisements

If you have to put your car in a parking lot, you can usually save a significant amount by going to the websites for the parking companies (Icon, Central, etc.), searching garages in the area you're driving to and printing available coupons. Usually saves a couple of bucks and also saves time by avoiding circling the blocks looking for garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,464 times
Default reply

You can definitely drive...But the fuel cost is there..Train tickets will cost you less than the fuel....at least..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM

130 posts, read 384,598 times
Hm, I didn't know they had apps for that (bad on me, of course they do!!) Thankfully I have an iPhone

I will get that app and check it out. I'm sure I can make it so parking is cheaper than paying for 3 roundtrip train tickets lol.

Maybe I'll luck out and there will be discounted parking for hybrid cars? I can hope

Old 06-01-2012, 07:10 AM

130 posts, read 384,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica0 View Post
You can definitely drive...But the fuel cost is there..Train tickets will cost you less than the fuel....at least..
I'm not that far. It's about a 35 mile drive from where I am. Where I used to live I had to do that all the time so it's not too bad in my opinion. Plus I have a hybrid and 2 gas gift cards

Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Why not just drive to Long Island City, Queens - park on the same block as the Hunters Pt Ave and hop on the 7 train into Times Square?

Thats what we do every weekend when we want to hang out in the city. Parking on Sundays (actually almost all the time) is free - and you can get a nice spot right on Skillman Avenue - and take the "7" train. Its only 1 stop because Hunters Pt is the next to last stop before you go into Manhattan (10 min subway ride). You save on parking that way.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Why not just drive to Long Island City, Queens - park on the same block as the Hunters Pt Ave and hop on the 7 train into Times Square?

Thats what we do every weekend when we want to hang out in the city. Parking on Sundays (actually almost all the time) is free - and you can get a nice spot right on Skillman Avenue - and take the "7" train. Its only 1 stop because Hunters Pt is the next to last stop before you go into Manhattan (10 min subway ride). You save on parking that way.
Likewise if you're going downtown you can get on at Bedford Ave Williamsburg.

Parking used to be very easy but has gotten more difficult the last few years.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
OP..may I suggest you post this question on the NYC CD board. They are probably more knowledgeable about traveling into the city than those on here who barely move from their homes...even to work, let alone to recreate.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
If driving go on bestparking.com and find a cheap garage before you just pick something at random. If you have a couple of people in the car it can be cheaper to drive than pay LIRR+ subway.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
OP..may I suggest you post this question on the NYC CD board. They are probably more knowledgeable about traveling into the city than those on here who barely move from their homes...even to work, let alone to recreate.
Why would you assume that ?? Talking about yourself again?

Old 06-01-2012, 10:33 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
No..I commute everyday...you remember that from your abandoned prior career..right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island