Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:06 PM

68 posts, read 158,491 times

Advertisements

i found a very nice house in woodmere, one thing is a concern to me though, the siding is asbestos, there is also a bedroom in the house with asbestos walls which i will remove of course, there is also asbestos tiles in the basement

i will also replace the asbestos siding with install vinyl siding,

i want to ask you guys what you think about this, is it dangerous? i mean most houses in the area were built in 1959 or around that so chances are most of the houses had asbestos in the house at some point

it shouldn't be a problem right? i spoke to one siding installer and he said that most people just install vinyl siding ONTOP of the asbestos siding, is that true?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 PM

73 posts, read 187,685 times
Same here. Just bought a house with asbestos shingles and a small amount of tiles. I'm not too worried about it. My inspector even said his house had the shingles and they sided right over it.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:26 PM

hey, thanks for posting, are you going to have the asbestos siding removed or just have vinyl siding installed ontop of it?

did you also buy the house in Woodmere?

hows the termite situation in the house you bought? any problems with termites?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
I had my asbestos tiles removed when we did our siding. popped the basement tiles myself. no biggie.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 PM

hey jetties, can you recommend a company to remove the asbestos siding for me? how much did the removal cost? did you install Vinyl siding instead or went for a different direction?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz63 View Post
hey jetties, can you recommend a company to remove the asbestos siding for me? how much did the removal cost? did you install Vinyl siding instead or went for a different direction?
did vinyl. I heard that over time the shingles you leave up can break and slide down bulging the siding. I can dm a great contractor if you want tho I dont know if he would go to Woodmere.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times
The asbestos shingles are usually left in place. A half inch of foam board is nailed in top of the asbestos shingles and the vinyl siding is nailed on top of the foam (through the shingle and into the sheathing).

Leaving the asbestos shingles in place provides insulation. Being that the shingles usually have 3 nails holding them in, even if they do crack, they will not slide down and bunch up (they are behind the foam insulation).

As long as the asbestos is not disturbed by sanding, cutting or grinding, it is safe.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Asbestos siding is awesome and only presents a problem when cut or broken and rendered airborne.
Its a fantastic insulator but impossible to find should one break. My MIL kept it on 3 sides of her home.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 AM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times
I removed the shingles 12 years ago when I installed new siding, you never know when regulations will change and they will become a problem at resale. I also have floor tiles in the basement that was at 1 time "finished". I will remove them when I refinish it, they are loose and will come up in 1 piece so I am not worried about them becomeing airborne.

When I removed the shingles the dumpster co had no problem with them just going in the dumpster, not so sure about that now.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 PM

I see, but its safer to remove the asbestos siding even though its safe and install a layer Vinyl siding right? do i need to tell the installers to put insulation in between the outside of the house and the siding? does adding insulation in between the siding cost extra?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island