Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:34 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
As a rational and somewhat cynical person, I always saw things like dman and mathjak.

But now, simply trying to make the best of it...
While on the topic of these deductions, what else house-related is deductible?:
- mortgage interest
- real estate taxes
- part of closing (origination fee, points if any, what else?)
- is the mortgage tax (tax on the mortgage) deductible?
- other? (are any repairs, or moving costs, if staying within the area, deductible?)

---
In the broader sense, what other things do you deduct? - I have been doing standard deductions for years, so never bothered to save receipts...
NYS state taxes. Thats a big one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:45 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzilla View Post
If we are married and in the 25% tax bracket and our Property Tax bill is $9800, what can we expect back? Even a ballpark guess?
It all depends on what your other deductions are, but best case scenario looking very simplisticallyis a $2450 reduction in tax owed on the $9800 you already shelled out. This could mean you owe less at the end of the year or get a bigger tax return than you would have renting.

Of course, if you were renting, you would have never paid out the $9,800 in the first place.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
first off the deduction isnt a benefit. your spending 3 or 4 dollars above the price of the house to get back one. your far better served with no extra expense and no deduction.

you also dont see a dime extra before you clear the standard deduction .

both a renter and home owner get the same standard deduction.

you can be a homeowner couple but if your deductions dont top 11,900.00 you wont see one penny difference even if you paid interest and real estate taxes..

it can really be the renter who wins tax wise. he may not be spending anywhere near 11,500 in deductable expenses and pockets the rest as a refund without actually spending that much.

the homeowner may be pulling that extra dough right out of the piggy bank to pay those bills and gets nothing back until the standard deduction is passed.

what is that poster talking about with investment properties?????????

real estate taxes are deductable on your primary home as long as you dont trip the amt tax .its deductable on any property you own as well..
I meant it's a benefit versus being a renter and not being able to claim anything on a tax return. There's some offset, albeit, not a ton but it's better than nothing . When we rented we had no kids, no properties and we made a decent salary. Our tax returns were horrible unless we itemized. Then we moved into a co-op and we had a child so we had some deductions. But that's a whole other topic.

I have no idea what the poster meant by investment properties. That can be pretty technical.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I meant it's a benefit versus being a renter and not being able to claim anything on a tax return. There's some offset, albeit, not a ton but it's better than nothing . When we rented we had no kids, no properties and we made a decent salary. Our tax returns were horrible unless we itemized. Then we moved into a co-op and we had a child so we had some deductions. But that's a whole other topic.

I have no idea what the poster meant by investment properties. That can be pretty technical.

It's not really better than nothing..you're shelling out $7K in property taxes for a house after the rebate. With a rental there's none.

With a rental there's no equity of course, but with a house there's upkeep. Simple fact is it's not a slam dunk to buy like many people lead you to believe.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
so if deductions are such a good thing why not pay more in taxes and mortgage interest????????????? the answer is your pulling 4 dollars out of your pocket over and above the price of the house which you arent counting as being spent when you get back 1 of them as a tax refund.

folks wake up with these deductions,they arent a good thing. these bills your paying for taxes and interest are no different than your electric bill,your gardner , the water bill or your cable bill. the fact you get a rebate of a buck or so doesnt make it any better or a benefit. its all just an expense.

the deduction reduces the expense but its not helping your income at all. want to help your income ,get rid of the expenses and get rid of the deductions.
Who said anything about deductions helping income? The point I was trying to make is that the other poster said only investment properties were tax deductible. Of course I didn't buy my house for the deductions but my point was at least there is some relief versus being single or married with NO deductions at all. If there wasn't some benefit to it then why would the IRS allow the deductions at all?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:14 AM

418 posts, read 1,070,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
NYS state taxes. Thats a big one.
Agreed!

---
Buying a house for the deductions is delusional.
But once you buy, you have no choice but to try to recoup your losses as much as possible.
Since the property taxes alone will trump the standard deduction, I am looking to pile up other stuff - all those "hidden treasures" I have been missing on while doing standard deductions for years. Like anything house-related, but also things like tax on a new car purchase, or a trip that is half-business and half-pleasure... or ?
I think it may be time to find a knowledgeable accountant .

Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 AM

106,670 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Again ,there really is no relief in spending 4 bucks extra to get back one.

the only bottom line you can really compare is renting vs owning and see how that shapes up but without comparing the same property you cant really even
compare.

im pretty sure most of us can find a place to buy in the area we are in thats cheaper to own then rent but you really have no way of doing an exact comparison .

its like we live in a rental apartment with an equivelent price for it as a co-op we can buy. the differences is clearly about 1k more a month to buy so we can clearly see its not worth buying.

just the return on the money we would tie up buying pays our rent and maintaince charges would still run 1k a month more.
even getting a part of that back in taxes makes it still not worth it.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-06-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island