Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 06:52 PM

71 posts, read 213,749 times

Advertisements

Long Beach has an exceptional Special Education department.
Message me if you want more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 07:18 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
I think that it is interesting that this thread is running at the same time that there are several threads bashing teachers. Is it possible that special ed parents shopping school districts run up the costs (and taxes) for those districts that are known to accomodate special ed students?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 AM

88 posts, read 249,048 times
Default What's the connection?

With all due respect to the above poster I think that is a tenative connection at best, equating special education costs and teacher bashing. Special education parents pay taxes as well. I happen to live in a district that the poster is very familiar with and my school taxes are exorbitant. In fact the amount of money we pay to the school district would pay for tuition in some of the most expensive private schools on LI. It is a good school district with a fine reputation but it is certainly not one of the best for special education. I have no qualms about demanding all of the services my child needs and holding the district accountable. I also have no qualms about holding the district and its staff accountable for careful spending, eliminating duplication of administration, asking teachers to take a good, hard look at their benefits and what is fair, restructuring pension payments so that teachers and administration contribute towards their own retirement (like so many of us must), and hiring teachers on merit alone not because they are the relative of someone currently in the district or on the board of ed.
It ultimately comes down to better training of teachers and careful management to cut down on Special Ed. costs. However, those are not the reasons that school spending is so out of control and no parent should ever feel shamed for searching and demanding for the best programs/services for their child.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:06 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsmom View Post
walk a day in our shoes and you might not be such a witch.

Precisely.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJ333 View Post
I would love to hear some feedback on special ed services in Miller Place, Rocky Point, Mt, Sinai and Pt Jefferson (village) districts. Availability of services and all...

Just curious...did you pick an area?

What has your experience been like?

Crooks

Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
IIs it possible that special ed parents shopping school districts run up the costs (and taxes) for those districts that are known to accomodate special ed students?
been true in Garden City for years. It's well known for attracting carpetbagging special ed parents.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
been true in Garden City for years. It's well known for attracting carpetbagging special ed parents.
I never heard the term 'carpetbagging' before. What does it mean?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM

88 posts, read 249,048 times
Default Insult or ignorance?

Never heard the term "carpetbagger"?- You need to check out the classic movie "Gone With the Wind"! It's a term given to opportunistic Northerners who moved down to the South after the Civil War to start businesses, get government contracts for rebuilding, basically take over from Southerners. Southerners were being punished for their rebellion. Those who didn't sign a loyalty pledge lost their property and even those who did sign were so poor that they sold whatever they could to Northerners cheap.
"Carpetbagging" special ed parents, I assume, must mean encroachers on the overrun district of Garden City. I guess when they move there those parents don't pay property taxes to support the district, or patronize local businesses, or do anything to enrich the community other than drain the very lifeblood of the school district.
Watch out for those "carpetbaggers" they may be coming to a district near you!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:24 PM

149 posts, read 345,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlaw1 View Post
Syosset/Woodbury is a great district for the special needs child. The district is in the forefront of educational opportunities for all children and special needs kids have outstanding teachers. It is considered an honor by most in the teaching profession to be on the Syosset staff. These men and women are the best trained teachers around. They are also plentiful. Syosset boasts a strong contingent of consultants in reading psych and speech. The system abounds with tutors as well. Every kid is seen as part of the "team" and so they are encouraged to do well, not shifted to Boces. Many of the best teachers, those that teach honors classes, also teach a class with the special needs child.

In elementary school and middle schools it is not shocking to find 1 or 2 aides in a classroom of 20 for children who require more one on one attention.

Septa meetings are especially well attended and prepared. The professional who advocates for the child are treated as the experts they are and are well respected. Rarely have I had an issue when a doc or therapist has suggested a plan of action. It seems that people in the Septa meeting are already on board.

In terms of testing and counseling Syosset is the best of the districts I have to deal with as an attorney who occasionally represents SEPTA kids and their families.

Bus issues are easily taken care of for the kids with those issues.

Administration is used to dealing with children with challenges. The district even recognizes their achievements at award assemblies with other kids.

The district encourages the acceptance of the special needs child. Taunting and teasing is strongly discouraged and bulling is quickly put to a stop.

The special need family should feel very confident sending their child to the Syosset Central School District, the taxes are high, but children and their educational and social growth needs are investments the families in this district take very seriously.
I have a friend who's son is bussed to roslyn b/c he needs services and syosset does NOT offer them !!! they live in jericho and he was supossed to be in HB Thompson...????

Old 05-19-2010, 02:29 PM

149 posts, read 345,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar1108 View Post
Hi, I know you posted a year ago but could you please let me know what district would be good for a 14 year old boy? We would move anywhere.
My son was born 3 months premature.... he received early intervention till 3 and then in William Floyd District he received speech, ot and pt with no hassles. I know the school has a bad reputation but they do get alot of money from the state and can offer services that the children need unlike many "upscale" schools that do not give out services so easily. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island