Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:53 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,954,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
There is a Moes going to open in Rocky Point. It probably will be the highlight of the year in that hamlet.

There are a number of decent restaurants in Rocky Point but the locals rarely go to them. Most locals are the spandex and fast food crowd and Im sure Moes will suit them just fine and do very well.

The spandex crowd doesn't "get" cilantro, so maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,719,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The spandex crowd doesn't "get" cilantro, so maybe not.
Yeah, they might try to smoke it.
Seriously though, if the old Taco Bell couldn't survive in that same location, I would worry about Moes. Moe's is....the Peter Luger of Tex-Mex.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,674,589 times
Actually it is in a good location. Dont know why Taco Bell couldnt survive.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:

A few of them closed after the wonderful poison lettuce episode a few years back.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Yeah, they might try to smoke it.
Seriously though, if the old Taco Bell couldn't survive in that same location, I would worry about Moes. Moe's is....the Peter Luger of Tex-Mex.

Good one.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:46 PM

428 posts, read 965,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I can't believe how many people here are saying Green Cactus sucks. I can't speak for all their locations but the one on Deer Park Avenue in North Babylon is pretty good. Ive never had a bad meal there. I like their chicken quesadilla with cheddar cheese. Ive been to the one in West Babylon on 109 and it was pure chaos ... it was not very organized. It's also much bigger than their North Babylon location.

As for Chipotle I would have to go with a chicken soft taco although im partial to the burrito bowl and the regular burrito with the barbacoa.
Love the barbacoa! Actually, I love everything there - so fresh.

The one Green Cactus I'm referring to is in Rockville Centre near a very nice intersection close to Park Avenue. We've gone there a few times - spent $35 and it was absolutely crap/mushy. The place looks beat up - doesn't look like it should be next to the hip/nicer looking spots in RVC.

In your defense, I just drove past the Green Cactus right off of the Deer Park 39N exit, and it's an eyesore. Maybe the food is good, but it just looks bad. Chipotle's food is spot on every time.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I can't believe how many people here are saying Green Cactus sucks. I can't speak for all their locations but the one on Deer Park Avenue in North Babylon is pretty good. Ive never had a bad meal there. I like their chicken quesadilla with cheddar cheese. Ive been to the one in West Babylon on 109 and it was pure chaos ... it was not very organized. It's also much bigger than their North Babylon location.

As for Chipotle I would have to go with a chicken soft taco although im partial to the burrito bowl and the regular burrito with the barbacoa.
I frequent the Green Cactus in Stony Brook. It's the middle store front in a shopping center which looks a little tired. I haven't eaten there, so I can't speak for the dining area but the kitchen/counter area is neat and clean. They do a high volume with the university and LIRR right across the street. A typical order for us is a Green Cactus combo, cactus salada, shrimp burrito, green cactus burrito, a side guacamole, and every so often a taco.

No complaints -- the food has been fresh and tasty. It's not as awesome as the burrito I ate in SoCal, but it is good.

I haven't been to Chipotle so I can not compare the two.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
That Taco Bell closed in what? 1996? When I lived out there I don't recall seeing a lot of traffic over there. I think it would have done better if had fronted 25A as opposed to being on the Rocky Point Yaphank Rd side of the shopping center. When it was open, it always looked a little skeevy from the outside so I avoided it.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:09 PM

You guys are tough on asthetics. Most shopping centers on LI are run down. I've been to 5 different Green Cactus and they are basically direct rip-offs of Baja Fresh chain in California...same food, same decor. Dirty? Sloppy? Alrighty.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You guys are tough on asthetics. Most shopping centers on LI are run down. I've been to 5 different Green Cactus and they are basically direct rip-offs of Baja Fresh chain in California...same food, same decor. Dirty? Sloppy? Alrighty.
Speaking of which -- have you tried the Cabo Fresh in Stony Book? Haven't been there yet, hearing mixed things.

Oh, and that shopping center is not run down LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island