Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 11,154 times

Advertisements

Would anyone be able to provide insight based on first-hand experience regarding the differences between living in the Oyster Bay school district and Huntington District 3? My husband and I are interested in cultural differences, neighborhood quality of life, the public schools (we have two elementary school-aged children), and home investment value.

Last edited by 2012homebuyer; 06-10-2012 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: change to title of thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Both school districts have had their share of problems and both own diminishing reputations. Huntington SD has more diversity in terms of minority presence but both have significant economic diversity ranging from poor residents in apartments through multi-millionaires in beachfront estates.
Huntington village is very nice in terms of dining and shopping (some consider it the best 'downtown' in all of Nassau/Suffolk) while both Oyster Bay and Huntington possess beaches.
Getting back to school districts they do share the 'problem' of being outshone by their neighbors and do suffer in comparison.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:37 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I have a friend who grew up (with me) in #3 and now lives in O.B. She's ridiculously smart and had a career picked out as a child, and she now thrives in that career. Her siblings are also ridiculously smart (all girls in the math/science field) and successful. They had very little parental support.

I guess what I would say in her case is that her belief is probably that her kids will always be OK in school based on brains and expectations. I'm not sure why she picked OB over Huntington, except that it's closer to her and her husband's work. I know she is very happy there and would also say the Huntington schools served her well in preparing her for college and beyond in her field with all the AP and language classes she wanted to take.

Don't think you'll find too many people with FIRST HAND experience in both districts at the same exact time - that would be almost impossible and even my friend's experience is hard to measure as when we were in Huntington it was considered a great district. Other than that the towns are somewhat similar but I'd pick Huntington just based on familiarity and I think its downtown vibe is better.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
IDon't think you'll find too many people with FIRST HAND experience in both districts at the same exact time - that would be almost impossible and even my friend's experience is hard to measure as when we were in Huntington it was considered a great district. Other than that the towns are somewhat similar but I'd pick Huntington just based on familiarity and I think its downtown vibe is better.
I agree.

I think Huntington is a MUCH wiser investment, because no matter what the school district level of desirability is, Huntington is a very desirable area, with a great downtown. That alone is the reason to choose Huntington SD 3 over Oyster Bay. Huntington homes, even SD 3, will always hold a much better resale value. There is no comparison b/w the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island